The Montana elk bill from hell is back

cgasner1

WKR
I wouldn’t really consider it moving the goal posts it helps a kid get a tag once they draw the points are gone the state is making a pile of cash on points and my kid will be able to get a head start on a bull tag somewhere and have a opportunity for the one year. If you look at our big 3 I have 10 points and best draw odds for a sheep tag are like 2% it’s getting worse with point creep they should be once in a lifetime but since they are ya I wanna bring my kid into that pool as soon as possible so maybe he will draw a ram tag before he is 70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR
I wouldn’t really consider it moving the goal posts it helps a kid get a tag once they draw the points are gone the state is making a pile of cash on points and my kid will be able to get a head start on a bull tag somewhere and have a opportunity for the one year. If you look at our big 3 I have 10 points and best draw odds for a sheep tag are like 2% it’s getting worse with point creep they should be once in a lifetime but since they are ya I wanna bring my kid into that pool as soon as possible so maybe he will draw a ram tag before he is 70

Why should kids get a head start there are many adults never got that head start? What happens if kids don’t give two shits or interests in hunting and draw a MSG tag. The only one that’ll gain anything from it’s the parent who wants or thinks their kid will love all the same things they do(I’m not saying this is your case). If you want a better shot at drawing these permits raising the application fee back to $125 up front for residents and put it to where ever the non residents price was before the dropped price will help more than any sort of bonus point system. Honestly it should all be random draw in my opinion.

cgasner1

WKR
Honestly if msg doesn’t go once in a lifetime and retro actived it really doesn’t matter most people will probably never get the opportunity

MT257

WKR
Honestly if msg doesn’t go once in a lifetime and retro actived it really doesn’t matter most people will probably never get the opportunity

That bill got killed as well. But the best way to increase odds are to up the number it cost to apply. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can afford $30 as a resident and say why not it’s only two 30 racks of Busch lite if I don’t draw where as they will likely not apply if they have to fork over $375 up front.

cgasner1

WKR
I honestly don’t want better draw odds by pricing out our residents I’d rather it be o.I.L

MT257

WKR
I honestly don’t want better draw odds by pricing out our residents I’d rather it be o.I.L

I can respect that. But do you believe a 12 year old really know what they would have if they drew one of those tags at 12 vs having to wait to draw one and realize what they really have?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Why should kids get a head start there are many adults never got that head start? What happens if kids don’t give two shits or interests in hunting and draw a MSG tag. The only one that’ll gain anything from it’s the parent who wants or thinks their kid will love all the same things they do(I’m not saying this is your case). If you want a better shot at drawing these permits raising the application fee back to $125 up front for residents and put it to where ever the non residents price was before the dropped price will help more than any sort of bonus point system. Honestly it should all be random draw in my opinion.
Sounds like someone who has a bad case of adult privilege.

cgasner1

WKR
With the way the system is now even with those 12 point head start kid probably still be 40 by the time he sees the tag if you even tried I was personally wanting to build my kids points for the future when he was 12 I had planned on opting out and taking him bow hunting and letting him have a hunt or two under his belt before he tried to draw a tag

Deadfall

WKR
All I caught was vote on sb 306. Which is headed to floor amended from 4 to 2 ag producers.

Anything happen with 505?

Deadfall

WKR
306 was tabled last week as well. I have not heard any rumblings of this coming back to life. You may have different sources with better info though.
306 was brought back today. passed 18-0 headed to floor. Was amended from 4 down to 2 ag producers. so a liveable bill anyway

MT257

WKR
Sounds like someone who has a bad case of adult privilege.
No privelage here, but I just don't agree with them starting out with more of a chance then the next person. If the kid is actually shows interest when they are able to hunt then by all means buy those points. Buying points for those unable to hunt them due to age, in my eyes is giving those kids privelage over the next 12 year old that was able to build points.

Chad E

WKR
No privelage here, but I just don't agree with them starting out with more of a chance then the next person. If the kid is actually shows interest when they are able to hunt then by all means buy those points. Buying points for those unable to hunt them due to age, in my eyes is giving those kids privelage over the next 12 year old that was able to build points.
I've never really thought about someone who's behind by 20 plus years in the point system as starting with more of a chance than the next person.
Let's face it no 12 year old is buying their own points so the odds aren't changing its still up to the parents to make it enough of a priority to make it happen whether they are 2 or 12.

MT257

WKR
I've never really thought about someone who's behind by 20 plus years in the point system as starting with more of a chance than the next person.
Let's face it no 12 year old is buying their own points so the odds aren't changing its still up to the parents to make it enough of a priority to make it happen whether they are 2 or 12.
Your right they aren’t buying their own points, but let’s be real most 12 year olds are not chomping at the bit for a msg tag either. It’s more the parent hoping the kid draws cause they want to hunt because odds are so low.

Last edited:

Chad E

WKR
Your right they aren’t buying their own points, but let’s be real most 12 year olds are not chomping at the but for a msg tag either. It’s more the parent hoping the kid draws cause they want to hunt because odds are so low.
I totally agree with this point and the kids would probably enjoy the hunt more later in life. Unfortunately the reality is the odds say they will likely never draw those tags in their lifetime. If we don't do something to level the playing field even if ever so slightly kids being born today will never draw these types of tags.

MT257

WKR
I totally agree with this point and the kids would probably enjoy the hunt more later in life. Unfortunately the reality is the odds say they will likely never draw those tags in their lifetime. If we don't do something to level the playing field even if ever so slightly kids being born today will never draw these types of tags.
I see allowing a 2 year old to buy points kinda like how the old people that have applied for 40 years and still haven’t drawn. They try fixing the system to make them feel better about it. If they get drawn great but if not that’s just how it goes. Imagine if Montana does what Idaho does and only allows you to apply for one of the big three species and does away with points and it’s all random. Talk about leveling the playing feild.

cgasner1

WKR
I see allowing a 2 year old to buy points kinda like how the old people that have applied for 40 years and still haven’t drawn. They try fixing the system to make them feel better about it. If they get drawn great but if not that’s just how it goes. Imagine if Montana does what Idaho does and only allows you to apply for one of the big three species and does away with points and it’s all random. Talk about leveling the playing feild.

Ya let’s do then without making it once in a lifetime so all the people have drawn now jumped to to the same odds as the guys who have not. The best thing would be a retro active once in a lifetime I work with a guy in his 30s has had 2 moose tags already it happens and with his luck he will likely have a 3rd can’t blame him he is just playing by the rules