The most dangerous animal on public land

Fatcamp

WKR
I know we're all sharing our worst stories here, but do you guys assess livestock as a serious risk while hunting? I sure don't.

Many of the areas we hunt are full of free range cattle. It is a consideration for sure.

I walked up on a herd of bills in a snowstorm a couple winter's ago. They were hidden in the trees covered in snow. It was eerie.

EastMT

WKR
I was in the middle of nowhere Montana on top of a butte with a dog and was chased by a herd of truly wild cattle that don’t interact with humans much. Luckily I found a mound of basketball sized boulders to climb up. Having been around stock most of my life theres a huge diff in curious body language and we might charge body language, you will know it when you see it. I had to fire of a couple 44 rounds to disperse them. Not fun at all

Last edited:
Was it a bull still on his cows or a group of bulls? Bulls should be separated off from cows by this time of year or for sure by September. I’ve had several problems with stupid bulls trying to protect hot cows. I’ve had even more problems with bulls this time of year fresh off being removed from their cows and ready to fight anything. Every year when we pulled bulls and put them together for the winter, they always gang up on every single bull you add to the pasture. Shouldn’t have to worry about a pasture of cows in the fall with no bull. Although there’s that one spooky bitch in every herd...

Last edited:
You are much more likely to get your ass kicked by domestic livestock than a wild animal (if they are around) while you're hunting. That's just a fact. Ask any cattle rancher. https://www.businessinsider.com/deadliest-animals-us-dont-include-sharks-crocodiles-dogs-cows-2019-8

One would think someone who deals with livestock as a profession and livelihood spends way more time around livestock and thereby is exposed to greater risk than a hunter. But I’ll admit sometimes I’m too pragmatic in my thinking.

Before I got into environmental work, I spent more than a few years working with large animal veterinarians. There is one thing I remember distinctly well from an old veterinarian I spent a lot of time with- it’s always the “nice” cows that kill you because you let your guard down around them.

I truly enjoy cows and would honestly have a handful if I had the land for them, but I don’t trust them at all to turn my back to them. And especially not ones roaming open range, on public land, where there are bears, wolves, and lions that they have to deal with.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was napping on the banks of the Green River in Wyoming with cattle all around. I woke up to a cow right in my face-problem was a few seconds later something scared the hell out of her and she just about fell in my lap. While not being aggressive it almost led to a bad situation nonetheless. That's the kind of thing I worry about.

Terrapin

WKR
We are over run with free range cattle... we’ve been chased, threatened, charged, knocked over, and had thousands of dollars vehicle damage over the last twenty years (mostly kicked at while passing).

Statue of limitations has passed, but one buddy packed a blunt for mean cows. He shot about a 50 pound long bow, so he didn’t think it did damage on the shoulder or rump, even though I told him it was as wrong. One day a mean old moo cow bull came into his bugle. The bull went past him, and he center punched that fella right on the sack. Bull went all stiff legged, then tipped over stone cold like. That bull laid there for fifteen minutes of pure panic as my buddy calculated how much a dead bull cost, and if hanging was as bad as it’s portrayed in the movies. Eventually that bull came to. Got up and stiff legged it out of there. We kept an eye on him for the rest of the season, partly out of genuine concern and partly out of fear of revenge.

My buddy never blunted another moo cow, but I still keep my eye out for that bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I once about 30 years ago was scouting deer in N.E calif. came up on a single range bull, the big old boy had lost his sense of humor, and gave chase as we rounded a thick tangle of Mahogany. We were able to make it to and get up on a small outcrop of rock to escape him, both kicking milk duds out of out pants.
Mike

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a member of a whitetail hunting club off and on for the past 10 years or so. This club is on a 25,000 acre ranch with cattle and planted fields. Every year we’re given a warning to just keep an eye on them as you pass, but they will usually run the other way. The warning is pretty mild, so I didn’t think it was a big deal. Considering their size, I always followed their instructions and kept an eye on them as I passed, but never really gave it much thought. After reading this thread, I think I’ll be a bit more cautious.

To add to it, cow eyes are like cat eyes, in that they reflect light at night and look like they are glowing. It’s eerie enough to shine a bright light into a dark field and see hundreds of eyes glowing back at you. Now, with this new info, it takes that eeriness to a whole new level.

Last edited: