The most dangerous animal on public land

MJB

WKR
Wild horses in the dark.......you hear the stallion going off and hitting the rocks with his hoofs. That will make your butt cheeks quiver.

Dries

WKR
Cool. I ask because, I've had a lot of experiences with cows and some bulls. Hundreds, thousands maybe. They can indeed be curious. They are certainly unpredictable. They never go where you want them to go. I can maybe only recall one "aggressive" incident in my life. Cows that are too curious can usually be charged and that'll scare them and they'll run. Sometimes they'll just keep following you because they think you're going to feed them. Just depends. I've tried to touch or pet multiple and I can never get close enough. It's a bucket list item of mine to slap a bull in the nose but I've been too chicken sh*t to try it so far.

I think, more than likely, firing the rifle was unnecessary, but of course it's tough to tell. Cows can ruin a hunt, that's for sure. Glad you didn't end up a statistic!

I have worked with cattle for 25 years every day. I have had 2 people I know get killed, 1 by a bull and one by a Holstein cow. Another fella I know almost had his back broke by a cow after a charge and pin. If a cow comes after you I would run and get out of there as fast as I can. Cows aren’t nothing to mess with they can turn on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild horses in the dark.......you hear the stallion going off and hitting the rocks with his hoofs. That will make your butt cheeks quiver.

This! Ran into a bunch of horses while hunting for elk on timber company land. Things got noisy real quick.

FNG
I got intimidated by a big angus bull while deer hunting once. It was rather sobering as the snow was deep and that bull would have got me if he set his mind to it. He was 10 yards away and had he charged I don’t think I could have got the rifle up fast enough. I really didn’t want to shoot him as I imagine he was worth a lot of $$$. I was on community pasture land.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
This is a good reminder to be cautious around bovines.

Both units I've hunted elk in here have had cattle (and more than just a couple) since they graze in the units I hunt. They seemed to be more afraid of me than vice versa.

I've always given them a wide berth, but at times it's not always possible. They can be awfully quiet for being so durn big, but I will continue my heightened awareness thanks to this thread and be on the lookout for them later this year.

Eddie

My cousin and I were archery hunting elk in new mexico 25 years ago. I had killed a bull earlier in the hunt and was helping him find one for himself. We were hunting big open grassland in unit 16E.There were a lot of cattle free ranging in the blm we were hunting.

We were out in the middle of a big plain with slightly rolling hills and some washes.not a tree within a mile or 2. We came up out of a ditch and ran smack into a big bull and a bunch of cows. I will never forget the look in that bulls eyes. He was pissed. I did not have a bow or even a knife on me.

I looked at my cousin and asked do you think we can outrun him? He said I don't think so but I can outrun you! WTF? We still joke about it today.

Bkusant

FNG
Was around them quite a bit as a kid. To this day I trust them about as far as I can throw them.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
This guy insisted on trying to come into the blind with my daughter and I while turkey hunting this year.

Attachments

• 0A9F3D50-0950-44A9-A956-47D6B1ACD866.jpeg
    0A9F3D50-0950-44A9-A956-47D6B1ACD866.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 27

fatlander

WKR
A bull put me up a cedar while turkey hunting about 5 years ago. He proceeded to trash my blind and decoys while I sat there like a treed coon. After about 5 minutes he lost interest and gave me enough time to grab all my gear before chasing me out of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulls aren’t usually all that bad. Now a high headed cow, that takes parenting to a new level.... I’d say that’s majority of my OTF adventures

Bulls aren’t usually all that bad. Now high head cow, that takes parenting to a new level.... I’d say that’s majority of my OTF adventures, and or coming back up a rope

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I’ve never heard of cattle being so aggressive, but I guess all animals can be territorial.

WinterT

FNG
For as big as they are they sure can move fast! Don't want to be on the receiving end of a blow that is for sure. They are definitely curious animals as well

Cows are curious animals. Generally if you throw your hands up in the air and charge them, they'll run away. I've had cows almost trample my predator call a few times

I access a hunting spot through my buddy’s family’s cattle ranch sometimes, and I remember taking an afternoon nap under a tree during archery season once and waking up with his cattle all laying around me, some of them feet from me.

I freaked out when I woke up lol. They could have cared less.

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Those wild horses in NE Oregon are pretty terrifying. I ran from a raging stallion once. They are mean.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Rounded a bend in my 4Runner a few days ago on my elk hunt and saw this and remembered this thread and thought: ain't no way I'm getting out of the car. :D

There is a much larger one off to my left that you cannot see. I assumed it is its mom, but not real sure.

Anyhoo, the one in the road had no real inclination to move no matter what I tried, but it did eventually wander off to the side of the road. I was relieved.

Eddie

Attachments

• moo-moo.jpg
    moo-moo.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 24

FLATHEAD

WKR
Those wild horses in NE Oregon are pretty terrifying. I ran from a raging stallion once. They are mean.
No lie. Back in the day, as kids we hunted wherever, no questions asked.
One big fenced in place we hunted had soybeans, other crops but sometimes
the owner would let horses in there.
We were more scared of the horses than the cows. They would literally try and take you out!!
They would come at you with teeth bared, mouth wide open.
We had to make it to the thick stuff to be safe.