The Most Overlooked Part of a Rifle Build

SDHNTR

WKR
How about the guy trying his damndest to get it to shoot factory cor-Loks or some other budget factory ammo
I’ve owned more than a few rifles that shot core loct ammo really well, far better than Federal Premium or similar that costs more. Accuracy is not always a factor of expense wrt to ammo. Either the rifle likes the load mix or not, and that has nothing to do with how much the ammo costs.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
Set up right, nothing wrong with that. Not my first choice but to call Talley’s “blister pack” junk is plain wrong.
They might work, they might not. I won't take that chance, but that's just me (y). I've never seen a quality pair of rings CRACK at the screw holes lol.

SDHNTR

WKR
To me, to answer the OP, the most important component is a reliable scope. Interestingly enough, when the OP was asked more than once in the scope test forum to either provide a scope for testing or explain/show how Tract scopes were tested for zero retention after drops and impacts, crickets started chirping.

I own a Tract Toric scope and so far so good. Nice glass, which isn’t saying much. But I want to see some durability testing before I buy another. And I want to see a company that embraces such testing and does it themselves, rather than shy away and make excuses.

Wrench

WKR
I know this can happen, but I also wonder about the installation and torquing process.

The answer to the problem is in the engineering. The screw should yield to the ring....not the other way around.

I've had talleys bust below the screws also.

SDHNTR

WKR
The answer to the problem is in the engineering. The screw should yield to the ring....not the other way around.

Agreed, but torqued evenly to 18-20 in lbs and lapped for concentricity, nothing will yield. At least not in my experience.

jayhawk

WKR
To the OP: Well, I think you found your answer. The general consensus is scope mounting components/process.

SDHNTR

WKR

I actually wish they’d make the same design as the Lightweights, but steel instead of aluminum. Their steel rings are bomber. The screw lock detachable system is my usual choice for thumper rifles.

SDHNTR

WKR
Imo, the issue with the lightweights is the shape. They aren’t round, by design, and are supposed to conform to the round tube of the scope with torque. Whether that works well or not, I just don’t like it. That’s inducing stress unnecessarily into the system, imo. And the shape is a source of the cracking problem (along with over torque, and stress from recoil and heavy scopes). Which is why I lap them. At best, it improves the system and removes stress. At worst, it eliminates ring marks. Win, win either way.

They aren’t perfect, admittedly, but properly set up, I think they can be pretty darn reliable.

jjjones7

FNG
I’ve owned more than a few rifles that shot core loct ammo really well, far better than Federal Premium or similar that costs more. Accuracy is not always a factor of expense wrt to ammo. Either the rifle likes the load mix or not, and that has nothing to do with how much the ammo costs.
If someone goes to expense of having a custom rifle built IMO it should be hand loaded for with a good amount of attention paid to load development. I shoot hundreds of rounds of factory ammo daily for accuracy and for the most part the inconsistency would surprise nearly anybody. Sure you might find a particular factory load that will shoot nice out of your gun but what about the next lot? How many check velocity, e.s., and s.d. over a Labradar? I do and you’d be surprised. I’m not saying that there isn’t a place for factory ammo I think for the guy shooting a decent factory rifle that sets a hard line yardage limit (say 200-300 and under) it’ll likely do an adequate job. Myself I like when I chamber a round I know exactly the performance I’m going to get out of it and it has been verified repeatedly

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
not looking at the firing system. Either a stock action or a custom. Just because it is a custom action, you need to make sure your firing system is not dragging, has enough pin fall etc.

Imo, the issue with the lightweights is the shape. They aren’t round, by design, and are supposed to conform to the round tube of the scope with torque. Whether that works well or not, I just don’t like it. That’s inducing stress unnecessarily into the system, imo. And the shape is a source of the cracking problem (along with over torque, and stress from recoil and heavy scopes). Which is why I lap them. At best, it improves the system and removes stress. At worst, it eliminates ring marks. Win, win either way.

They aren’t perfect, admittedly, but properly set up, I think they can be pretty darn reliable.
It's been interesting coming back to the rokslide and seeing what gets bashed in order to see what gets promoted...brands specifically....from a 40,000' view of course. It's not hard to read through the lines sometimes. Not saying this rings true in the talley theme here but first place I've come across this hate. I've run the talley lightweights on lightweight builds (heaviest hitter braked 300wm) for a long long time, majority in 7 lb all up .270 win throwing 140's type stuff and never an issue. I tend to be an average hunter who prides on building sub-moa factory rigs and ammo and going the distance only when necessary though. I guess there are guys with much more punishing gear and installation methods lol? Like looks to me maybe a horse rolled over, maybe dropped on the rocks or Sasquatch level installation techniques? Anyhow, regular guys running regular rifles and cartridges shouldn't have any issues with the talley lightweights, taken me probably 15+ years to even hear of this and this forum is the place...hmmm. I digress...

Agree though that talley should duplicate the lightweights in steel for those who push gear choices etc. beyond the average guy but still want sleek relatively lightweight combo. Less connection points the better imo, direct to the action is where it's at, no rails here. Be tough to bash the talley then although that would be interesting to watch and see, something tells me 'where there's a will, there's a way'. ;)

Wrench

WKR
There's no hate here. Dave is a great guy who built what we wanted. Materials cheapened up a bit and with volume comes some chaff.

At one point I had probably 20 plus sets on my personal rifles and was sending them out on customers rigs.....but after a few give up....it's hard to suggest the product, especially when Hawkins has almost the perfect ring to replace it. Ask me to bash a Swarovski scope and you'll see my real feelings. At least Dave makes it right.

This is a nichey group of consumers who'll spend $800 on a backpack and 6g's on a rifle. No product is going to survive in mediocrity here.

SDHNTR

WKR
There's no hate here. Dave is a great guy who built what we wanted. Materials cheapened up a bit and with volume comes some chaff.

At one point I had probably 20 plus sets on my personal rifles and was sending them out on customers rigs.....but after a few give up....it's hard to suggest the product, especially when Hawkins has almost the perfect ring to replace it. Ask me to bash a Swarovski scope and you'll see my real feelings. At least Dave makes it right.

This is a nichey group of consumers who'll spend $800 on a backpack and 6g's on a rifle. No product is going to survive in mediocrity here.
I will jump on the Swaro bashing with you buddy! I would make the switch to those Hawkins hybrids if they made some zero cant models. For the life of me I don’t understand why they don’t. Not all of us need to shoot 1000 yards with a 308.