The most wonderful time of the year….. A zone general 😆

Azone

WKR
Well next Saturday is the opener for rifle and I’m excited to say the least. Nothing like the excitement opening weekend produces, hopefully several of us on here are down to one tag left shortly after it starts.
I know it goes against the traditional Rokslide badass way of doing things, but looks like a good hunt lined up on private property for Saturday morning and then the wife and I will be taking a hike into a hell hole on public ground after that.
What do the rest of you have going on?

I won’t make it out until Saturday evening but can’t wait! Gonna be a hot one but we have some good bucks spotted this year.

Private ranch until I fill my tag. I’ll go back to public land if decide I want to shoot second one. Archery season on public was rough this year, only got 1 stalk, but it was fun and I’am thankful I got that for what I’ve been seeing.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
No buck for me or the wife this past weekend. I did end up shooting a very nice boar at a friends place, 3 1/2 inch tooth on one side broke off on the other side. I’d guesstimate the weight at 250 to 275, very nice hog. The deer were only moving at first light and right at dusk.
How did the rest of you guys do?

No buck for me or the wife this past weekend. I did end up shooting a very nice boar at a friends place, 3 1/2 inch tooth on one side broke off on the other side. I’d guesstimate the weight at 250 to 275, very nice hog. The deer were only moving at first light and right at dusk.
How did the rest of you guys do?
Saw a bunch of deer Saturday, I didn’t have a tag but was glassing for some buddies. Sent them after two bucks I had bedded down but they ended up getting busted. Got a late start Sunday morning, just saw one small forky and a few does, no one with a rifle in sight🙄.

Mattyq17

FNG
Saw no deer this weekend, but did have a nice looking chocolate colored bear run across the canyon we were watching Saturday morning, no bear tag and he never stopped to offer a shot anyway. The main problem was the 2 camps by us that had 10-15 hunters in each camp, I didn't realize I was going to be hunting with half of LA county.... We have been going to this spot for the last few years and never seen anything like it. We did explore some new river bottom area that had one pool of water and deer tracks on every trail going to it so that was nice to see. Put in 12 miles on Saturday. Talked to a game warden who said he had only validated one buck, a nice 3x4.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
I managed to get lucky during archery this year, and the gf filled her tag at 210 yards with her .223 opening morning of general. Shot early AM and took over 9 hours to pack out of the canyon we were in, brutal in the heat, especially when my ancient yardwork boots blew up. So-cal A zone , trying to catch up with some bears next!

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Saw a bunch of deer Saturday, I didn’t have a tag but was glassing for some buddies. Sent them after two bucks I had bedded down but they ended up getting busted. Got a late start Sunday morning, just saw one small forky and a few does, no one with a rifle in sight🙄.
That’s a bummer on getting busted.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
I managed to get lucky during archery this year, and the gf filled her tag at 210 yards with her .223 opening morning of general. Shot early AM and took over 9 hours to pack out of the canyon we were in, brutal in the heat, especially when my ancient yardwork boots blew up. So-cal A zone , trying to catch up with some bears next!
9 hours is a mission. Were the boots salvageable or did you walk out in socks?

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Hiked in socks about 1/2 way then managed to get an Inreach message out and a spare pair hiked in .

A-zone north. Saw a lot of deer but no legal bucks. Was within archery range of a doe, and 85 yards from a spike. Despite watching and willing him to grow a fork for about an hour, he did not and I backed out. Did find one fork shed, so at least I know there are bucks in the area!

Watched three other hunters take about 10 ineffective shots (seated, without a rest) at 650 yards at what to me with binoculars on a tripod looked like two spikes. They didn't appear to have better optics than me. Eventually they attempted to cross the canyon to get closer, but took them forever and animals were long gone by the time they got close. They also left a bunch of trash behind. Sad to see that sort of behavior, the first time I've ever witnessed such a thing. I packed their trash out :/ Hopefully fewer idiots in the weekends to come :)

Connected! Tried to bag this guy during Archery but never got a chance to. Cleaned it up on the opener. 21.5" wide, deep forky.
That’s a great buck. I’m a sucker for a big forky.

Only saw 1 buck Sunday morning but couldn’t get the spotting scope on him before he made it out of sight.