The most wonderful time of the year….. A zone general 😆

During the closure I had nice bucks on my trailcam in open meadows, broad daylight. As soon as our forest opened back up nothing but nocturnal! I’m convinced These bucks can sense the pressure and behave accordingly.

I called and spoke with a lady about the Monterey District and she said it was opening when the current closure expires.
Which is the 22nd at midnight. So do you think they are really going to go out and unlock them at 12am?🤔

Saw a buck in A-Zone south getting rutty, he was following the doe around and rubbing bushes pretty hard, yesterday evening around 5pm.

My son got it done yesterday morning. The fog forced us to give up on our plan A and we went to plan B till the fog lifted, good choice!! Good redemption for him as he missed a shot at a running buck last year. Nice forky with 1 eye guard. 80 yard shot slightly quartering to him, ran about 75 yards. We let the dog get her feet wet and she tracked the blood trail, she did well. Rifle is a Remington 722 in .257 Roberts, handloaded 80gr. TTSX Barnes over 44.5 grains of IMR4350.

View attachment 327676View attachment 327678View attachment 327680View attachment 327681
Good looking pup, if that’s a patterdale then there’s three hunters in that picture

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to those who've shared their success with the rest of us.

For folks heading out this weekend - good luck & stay safe out there.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Got it done on Sunday .. guy was bedded in dark timber not a bino in the world would have found him haha . 3pm bedded .
Good job, looks like a nice buck. Were you still-hunting through the timber? Did he hear you coming but decide not to move?

Good job, looks like a nice buck. Were you still-hunting through the timber? Did he hear you coming but decide not to move?
I was timber creepin. he was was bedded looking the other way . Not a ray of sunlight in a 30’ radius so dark that I couldn’t see the buck bedded 10’ from him . 18.25 wide .. not bad but a bit spindly definitely happy to have him tho

jfs82

WKR
Went out Saturday to give A a last go. Hiked up to a ridge overlooking a bowl with a small meadow in. Sat the entire day there, 9 does but nothing following them around. Did see a lot of turkey tracks on the trail in so I may be back there soon enough.

Congrats to everyone on the A zone success. This season was somewhat tough for my buddy and I. Just couldn’t turn up a few of the shooter bucks we had on cameras during archery season. Was still a great time and now it’s onto concentrating on bears.