The mountain sheep are sweeter, but the valley sheep are fatter....

The mountain sheep are sweeter,
But the valley sheep are fatter;
We therefore deemed it meeter
To carry off the latter.

- Thomas Love Peacock (1785 –1866)

This story is actually last years. Just getting around to posting it, and January is as good of time as any for a sheep story. It’s long, so be warned.
At the time, my dad and I thought we had located some good rams on a mountain an easy 5 mile walk from an airstrip carved from a creek bed. Plan was to go back in August and whack one (or two). It was a good plan, but a plan is all it was…

Link to the 2012 scouting effort:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?2808-Sheep-scouting-photos-how-I-spent-the-weekend

Unfortunately, a week before our planned hunt date, we got word that our creek bed cub strip was no longer usable. Plan B time and quick! Got the pilot on the horn to see if there were other options in the area. He gave us a few, but they were all in other drainages, and would require some serious effort to get to the mountain we had scouted. After some consultation with my dad and some time with the topo maps and Google Earth, we outlined a new plan of attack that involved a wandering 12 mile journey to the sheep mountain over a couple of high passes. The goal of the new route was to hit a number of likely looking cirque valleys on the way, and hopefully kill a sheep before we made our destination. The catch was that we had a moose hunt lined up for the next week, and knew we weren’t going to able to put that much time on the ground.

Day 1

Our trip was not starting well. Spent most of the day sitting in the cab of the truck outside the air taxi base watching the rain fall. Fog and cloud clamped down on the passes, and there was nothing we could do but watch the weather cameras and wait…

Late afternoon, the weather finally lifted a touch, and there was a mad scramble of small airplanes lifting off and heading for the hills. “Marginal VFR” was putting it kindly, but we made it through to the transition strip, were we would meet our cub driver and fly further into the mountains. As it turned out, the same weather pattern had been keeping sheep hunters stuck in the hills that REALLY wanted out, so when the weather eased a bit an entire flock of super cubs was moving hunters down to meet their rides to town at the same time a wave of new sheep hunters were headed out. We landed on a long gravel bar and it was total mayhem for about 30 minutes as a non-stop stream of airplanes moved hunters in and out. At one point there were five small planes parked on the gravel bar.

We quickly transitioned to a pair of cubs and headed for our new spot. Weather continued to be a factor, but after several tries we found a clear pass and made it into our drop off drainage. At this point we were running out of daylight and there wasn’t much to do but make camp.

Day 2
The goal for today was basically just to get to get up and over the first high pass into what we hoped would be sheep country. The approach was about several miles up a tributary creek bottom and then a steep side drainage to the pass. The creek was in a narrow canyon drainage, so we were forced to cross it dozens of times. Luckily it was fairly shallow, so high gaiters and some quick footwork kept our feet mostly dry.

We crested the pass about mid-afternoon, and immediately started to see sheep. Most were ewes and lambs, but we broke out the spotter and quickly picked up a group of 6 rams up in one of the glacial cirques, exactly what we had hoped to see.

The bad news was that they were bedded in the scree below the mountain with NO way to get within reasonable rifle range. We watched them for a while and decided that there two were “possible” full curls. After taking a good look at the country, we decided that there was a good possibility that they would come down to feed in the evening, and decided to try and get to the base of the mountain to set up an ambush. We dropped camp and headed up the valley, using the rugged terrain as cover. Sure enough, as we got closer to the base of the mountain, the sheep got up and four of them headed down towards to valley floor. Of course the oldest and largest sheep was also the wisest, and he decided he would let the young guys stuff their faces while he stood guard from on high. I’ve witnessed this behavior several times before in my short sheep hunting career, and it’s what makes big old sheep so difficult to tag.

However, we were able to get a good look at them all at this point, and although the older sheep had considerably more mass, he was also looked to be rubbed back past full curl and may not have been legal by that definition. One of his younger partners that now making his way to a point about 600 yds up the valley from us on the other hand WAS full curl. It was the first day of the hunt, but we had two tags… After a short debate we elected to go after the fat sheep in the valley and leave the big sheep on the mountain for another day.

We waited until all the sheep were hidden in the folds and creases of ground and then quickly covered the 600 yds up the drainage bottom to where they were feeding.

This is where it was going to be interesting! We knew there was five sheep spread out and feeding in the very near proximity, but we had no idea where the legal one was. Once we got close we were hidden by the 30 ft deep drainage edge, but as soon as we popped out we were going to be spotted and those rams were going to split. Our odds of locating the legal one and getting a shot weren’t all that good. Sometimes though, you just have to roll the dice….

We eased up the loose gravel bank as quietly as we could and slowly peaked over. A flash of white in a depression 40 yds away was the back of a sheep stuffing his face. A few more feet, and we saw that that we had hit the 5:1 jackpot odds, and by dumb luck had come out right on top of the only legal ram in the bunch. It was dads turn to shoot and the ram realized he had company about 1 second too late. Hard to miss at archery range with a 30-06.

With two of us and light packs, we quartered the ram bone-in and hiked the mile back down to where we had dropped camp, arriving at 9:30. A nearby snow drift provided a handy place to keep the meat cool. Not bad for the first day of hunting!

OP
Yellowknife
DAY 3
Of course the problem with having meat hanging is that that you are now limited in both time and distance you can travel. With the meat on ice for now, we knew we were still going to try and fill my tag if possible but would be limited to hunting the near area.

Day 3 started off well, with a group of ewes feeding just outside the tent.

We left camp and started working our way around and into a series of high valleys. Sheep were everywhere, but mostly ewe, lambs, and younger rams. Was busted by a 15/16 curl at one point but that was the best one we saw. Nevertheless, the weather was good, the views were long, and it was a text book day to be hunting the mountains.

DAY 4

Our weather luck ran out again, and a storm blew in overnight with snow, rain, and low clouds. With visibility very low, we elected to use our time by packing the sheep and camp part way back to the strip. Bumped into more sublegal rams as we worked our way back over the pass in falling snow.

Once over the pass, we dropped camp again and decided to check out another drainage. It was one of those cases where the canyon leads to a valley, and the valley leads to a ridge, and the ridge shows another valley, and a sheep trails leads to another ridge, and on the other side of that ridge was another valley….

Pretty quick we were miles from camp looking over more ram bands scattered out over many miles of mountains. The weather started to improve a bit and life was getting better.

It was now 8:00 and we knew we were going to be pushing daylight to get back to camp. However a group of rams showed up at the base of the last ridge, one of which appeared fairly decent from above. We knew if we made a kill at this point in the day, we would be spending the night on the mountain, but that was something we are always prepared for. Unfortunately, my rookie sheep hunting status showed at this point, and I blew the stalk and chased the rams several drainages over. After kicking myself a number of times, we headed back and made camp in the dark.

DAY 5

Another day of rain and with a moose hunt coming up rapidly we knew it was time to start down to the strip. On the way back though we managed to spot another ram on the mountain side. This time I executed a perfect stalk to within 200 yds. After looking him over at close range, I decided he was full curl with 95% certainty, but fairly young and relatively small. With one ram in the pack, there was no reason to be shooting a marginal sheep and I let him walk. We made the airstrip late in the day and called out for pick up the next day on the sat phone.

A short hunt, but a good one. During the 5 days we were on the ground we saw around 50 rams and countless ewes and had the opportunity to chase several different animals. Can’t ask for much more than that on a sheep hunt.

Yk

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Great times! Pretty cool getting to do that with the old man. I saw some other pictures you posted of this hunt previously, looked like there was plenty of weather to go around. Just went for a hike today, hopefully I can make the sheep mountains this year.

Stid2677

WKR
Awesome report, got to love blue skies and heavy packs. Hope my Son will pack one more out for me one of these days. Thanks for sharing, love reading about sheep hunts, especially on a snowy day.

Steve

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Great pics!

Nothing like pulling a am out of the hills, CONGRATS!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well done YK. Fun to read the account of how it all went down as well as hearing it from your dad!

Congrats to you both!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a great writeup what a great time spent with your dad. Thanks for sharing the awesome photos

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome story and pictures. I like your tikka rifle with electrical tape over the barrel. I run the same setup.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonderful write up and pics YK, I love hearing about you and your dad getting out together! Perfect timing too...it's just about the time of year when I am itching to be out, so good hunt stories are always welcome. Thanks!

OP
Yellowknife
Thank guys,

It wasn't the most epic of hunts, but it was one of my favorites nevertheless. The moose hunt / bear shoot that followed actually considerably more of an adventure, but is a more difficult story to tell and alas... far few photos were taken.

Yk

60x

WKR
hmmm i might recogonize that cub;)..

YK I have been very blessed in my hunting carreer but I would not trade one of those hunts for the time I spend afield with my dad.. That is a great write up, great sheep, and time well spent with your dad! Your dads a Stud... that country is not for the faint of heart.. I really hate how pics make it look so easy...hehehe