"The Myth of Preference Points"

Rich M

WKR
It wouldn’t be difficult to argue that the “old folks” amassed points without the point creep hanging over their heads nor the near amount of competition. They drew their hunts and they are still drawing their hunts. If you’re a 28 year old in 2020 wanting to get into Western hunting, you face an entirely different point reality than a 28 year old in 1985. In short, you’re post reads a little “ok boomer.”

We all amass points the same way - 1 per year. I started this game in 2017.
Folks are willing to sacrifice for things that they want. The ones saving points are sacrificing hunting this year and taking the risk that they will be able to hunt once they get the permit.

Read my posts above so I don't have to be any more repetitive than necessary.

Just decide what you want to do the most and figure out how to make it happen.

Poser

WKR
We all amass points the same way - 1 per year. I started this game in 2017.
Folks are willing to sacrifice for things that they want. The ones saving points are sacrificing hunting this year and taking the risk that they will be able to hunt once they get the permit.

Read my posts above so I don't have to be any more repetitive than necessary.

Just decide what you want to do the most and figure out how to make it happen.

I’m not really worried about myself. I’m fine with OTC hunts, 1 point draws just to be sure and banking up for 3 points or so for select other opportunities. Plus I offer my services as a partner to friends who draw premium tags and I don’t really care about the trophy aspect that much as I’m more interested in the adventure in having some meat.

I’m more thinking of this in a broad, conceptual manner.

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m not really worried about myself. I’m fine with OTC hunts, 1 point draws just to be sure and banking up for 3 points or so for select other opportunities. Plus I offer my services as a partner to friends who draw premium tags and I don’t really care about the trophy aspect that much as I’m more interested in the adventure in having some meat.

I think this part of it gets missed. Hunting big game for me is an extension of an adventure I am already on. Wandering big, wild places is something I love. Throw in a tag and it gets very interesting.

The problem comes from expectations and people whining about what is "fair". If I don't get this tag or this quality buck I've not been slighted in the least but others truly believe they have. There are so many opportunities to hunt with zero points and no competition. All it takes is expanding your options and educating yourself. Throw in a couple points and I won't have the time to hunt all the tags I draw. It all sucks because it wasn't for X animal in unit Y the problem is something not on my radar. Take G for example, no desire to ever hunt it. Sounds like a madhouse and takes waaay too many points. I could hunt deer in Wyoming three times by the time I hunt G. No way. Not for me anyway.

Rich M

WKR

I see these trips as vacations and not something I need to do but enhances life with a little fun and adventure.

My thoughts have only been how to do this, what are the parameters to work within, what is the best I can hope for, how long will it take, and how do I get there from here.