"The Myth of Preference Points"

Beendare

WKR
Eastman brings up some good points....

Wait for it.........Be ready for Wyoming residents to get greedy and do the same thing they did in Arizona...drastically limit tags to Non Residents.

Big Ace

FNG
If they do limit tags they will lose out on revenue. From a pure economics standpoint, a NR pays around 10 Times the amount for points and tags as do residents.

excaliber

WKR
It's a tough game if you are just now starting to accrue bonus points or Pref points and are waiting for a top notch hunt.. I like the Bonus point system that Nevada has over Colorado's , Wyoming's preference point systems. Some like Idaho's all is equal system like New Mexico's. There is so much demand on OTC tags here that I can easily see it going to all draw soon.

What I don't like is when a state changes their system after 16 years of applying to something slightly different as those who were close to drawing a tag in the bonus pool are now hating life.

I feel for the youngsters who want to build points. There is only so much pressure we can put on the resources before things have to change. OTC hunts will be a thing of the past soon.

BuzzH

WKR
Eastman brings up some good points....

Wait for it.........Be ready for Wyoming residents to get greedy and do the same thing they did in Arizona...drastically limit tags to Non Residents.

Brace yourself...I sat in on a conservation roundtable last week and there is talk of legislation going to be introduced this session to reduce NR quota's to 10%.

Lots of residents want WY to come in line with nearly all the other western states that limit NR's to 10%...don't blame them.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm a little surprised they aren't limiting non-res to 10% tags, no wilderness, and only places with no trees below 4000'.

On a more serious note, it wouldn't surprise me to see a guided tag option as well in the not too distant future like NM and NV.

It's a limited resource. No one has come up with the best way to conserve it and allow max opportunity. Resident preference points is unfortunate, IMO. I prefer no points of any kind and just random chance. Bonus points screw up the odds too much by introducing a brazillian extra entries.

It is what it is. You can bitch about it, or figure out how to go hunting. I know how I shall spend my time.

Jeremy

Respectfully... as a NC resident... when you look at the point system, odds & point creep for some of the western states I see no reason to even bother applying. "Hey, keep filling out applications & send us your money & you might draw a tag 30 years from now".... So if that's what they're after then mission accomplished.
Resident or not, make it 50/ 50 or something & do a random draw. At least give people some hope.
If I were a resident I'd be PO'd at a points system too. I couldn't imagine living in WY & having all those animals & public land & knowing my kids probably won't ever get to hunt them. That's BS

LostArra

WKR
Brace yourself...I sat in on a conservation roundtable last week and there is talk of legislation going to be introduced this session to reduce NR quota's to 10%.

Lots of residents want WY to come in line with nearly all the other western states that limit NR's to 10%...don't blame them.

I can understand that.
Hey Buzz. Would that 10% just be on the full price tags? Leftovers still a free-for-all residents and NR?
Thanks
Sincerely,
Cow Killer

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider

cant wait for the complaining when a resident elk tag costs what we pay in AZ to cover the shortfall.

Netherman

WKR
I love and hate points. I like that I can use them to have reasonable assurance of where I will be hunting the following year but hate that I will likely never draw any "premium" hunt units.

I think states could get out of the point system if they chose but why would you turn down extra revenue? In my opinion the best way to eliminate points without an uprising would be to move towards a random draw for a portion of the tags (currently implemented by some states) and then stop selling points. Attrition would eventually remove all points and result in a purely random draw.

Personally I don't think I would like this system better as I'm a type A personality and want to know where I will be hunting going into the draws. Not that anything is certain (I missed my WY draw last year) but high probability helps with planning.

204guy

WKR
Though full of hyperbole Guy's point is right on. WY residents dont need or want a points system. All the western states with points have different system. You can't point to single one that's working well and not plagued by ridiculous point creep. They're also basically a pyramid scheme that's incredibly disenfranchising to new hunters.
PS, don't read the comments section you'll be dumber because of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tbaxl

Lil-Rokslider
Being 22 and so far behind the curve on preference points and having limited funds. The preference points system discourages me from even trying as a non resident. Most places require 3-5 preference points to be considered to have decent chances. Random draw and OTC is much more appealing to me even if I’m in worse areas. My intentions are to get out and hunt, not sit for years waiting for the opportunity to hunt.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Being 22 and so far behind the curve on preference points and having limited funds. The preference points system discourages me from even trying as a non resident. Most places require 3-5 preference points to be considered to have decent chances. Random draw and OTC is much more appealing to me even if I’m in worse areas. My intentions are to get out and hunt, not sit for years waiting for the opportunity to hunt.

Try knocking on the door of 40 and being behind the curve. True preference point systems are anything but fair, hell even bonus point systems make more sense if fairness is what you're after.

I'd love to see CO phase out pref points, but it'll never happen. Heads would explode.

ahlgringo

WKR
Try knocking on the door of 40 and being behind the curve. True preference point systems are anything but fair, hell even bonus point systems make more sense if fairness is what you're after.

I'd love to see CO phase out pref points, but it'll never happen. Heads would explode.

Well, I am not sure you meant to say fair. True preference point systems are by definition “fair”. You pay your dues, wait your turn in line- and then go hunt.

Now theres lots of good points being made on the negatives of this system, many of which I agree with- but fairness isnt one of em.

Lotteries I would consider much less “fair”. Governors tags/ auction tags are much less “fair”.

My father instilled in me from a young age though- life aint fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
cant wait for the complaining when a resident elk tag costs what we pay in AZ to cover the shortfall.
Wyoming GF would likely see a revenue increase if we reduce NR LQ allocation from 16% down to 10%...

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming GF would likely see a revenue increase if we reduce NR LQ allocation from 16% down to 10%...
Right, but then they can raise the resident cost from $50 that they currently pay to the $150 I pay as an Az resident where we have the 10%.

BuzzH

WKR
Right, but then they can raise the resident cost from $50 that they currently pay to the $150 I pay as an Az resident where we have the 10%.

They could keep the fees exactly where they are, reduce NR allocation of LQ tags from 16% to 10% and still increase revenue...

Ratbeetle

WKR
Well, I am not sure you meant to say fair. True preference point systems are by definition “fair”. You pay your dues, wait your turn in line- and then go hunt.

Now theres lots of good points being made on the negatives of this system, many of which I agree with- but fairness isnt one of em.

Lotteries I would consider much less “fair”. Governors tags/ auction tags are much less “fair”.

My father instilled in me from a young age though- life aint fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't disagree more that true pref point systems are fair.

To take a limited resource that is held in trust for all the people of the state and eliminate any chance a hunter has to utilize said resource simply because he didnt have the ability to participate early in the game is anything but fair.

Paying your dues? Oh please. That might be valid if you could actually guarantee that paying your dues would get you something. There are units all over the west that people will never be able to draw simply because they weren't able to get on board before point creep took hold.

Explain to me how a random draw where everyone has the same draw odds is not fair. So maybe some guy draws two years in a row and it takes another guy 5 years...so what, they both had the same chance. I'd rather have some chance,than none at all.

I also realize that life isn't fair and I understand the point system in CO will never go away because you'll always have guys whining about "muh points" and thinking that buying tags for a few more years than another guy means they're somehow entitled to something. Well that and the fact the CPW uses points as a dangling carrot for people who don't understand math.