The nearly perfect budget mountain rifle scope doesn't exi....

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see it on Leupold's site now, but no option to purchase it or anyone that has it in stock- guess we'll wait a little longer :)

Motown

WKR
EuroOptic is offering the 1.5-8 Vortex Razor with the G4 reticle for $429 right now. Not quite the B&C reticle, but still one hell of a deal for an awsome scope. At only 11” and 13oz I think this would make a great mountain rifle scope.

Cervid

FNG
EuroOptic is offering the 1.5-8 Vortex Razor with the G4 reticle for $429 right now. Not quite the B&C reticle, but still one hell of a deal for an awsome scope. At only 11” and 13oz I think this would make a great mountain rifle scope.

I just picked up one of these the other day. Have yet to mount it, but it feels like the right size and magnification ranges for my purposes. Europtic also has the vortex razor hd lh 2-10x for the same price and only 3.5 oz heavier if you want a little more magnification.

Motown

WKR
I just picked up one of these the other day. Have yet to mount it, but it feels like the right size and magnification ranges for my purposes. Europtic also has the vortex razor hd lh 2-10x for the same price and only 3.5 oz heavier if you want a little more magnification.
They only have the 2-10 with the HSR reticle left and sold out of the G4. I have two of the 2-10 models with the G4 and love them. I just received my 1.5-8 yesterday and it looks like an awesome little scope as well especially considering the price. I am not typically a Vortex fan but they got it right with these Razor models.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was originally set on getting the VX-3HD 2.5-8x36, but booked a Dall hunt, so instead went with the 3.5-10x40- only a couple of ounces heavier

EdP

WKR
Indeed, the VXR Firedot with BDC reticle is about perfect for my uses. I have a 3x9 on an '06. With a 200 yd zero and using the appropriate subtension, it's no problem to bang steel out to 500 yds. Beyond that the '06 is running out of gas anyway. I didn't think I would use the illumination feature on anything other than black bear over bait at last light, but found it to be a big help when I had a chance at a bull elk at 350 yds with 15 min of legal light left. The problem is they are not made anymore. I wanted one in 3x12 or 4x12 for a .280AI but could not find one. Ended up with a Leupold VX-Freedom 4x12 with a Tri-MOA reticle. The reticle works OK but it's a bit busy for my taste. It's good for 500 yds using the subtensions but beyond that I have to dial up. Hard to understand why Leupold designs the perfect scope and then pulls it. Everybody seems to want to dial up for long shots but a properly segmented BDC is a lot faster and easier for us old folks that can't read the dial w/o glasses.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was originally set on getting the VX-3HD 2.5-8x36, but booked a Dall hunt, so instead went with the 3.5-10x40- only a couple of ounces heavier

just received mine, took awhile, but now in my sweaty hands :D

My favorite scope for a long time was the VXII 3-9x40 with the LR Duplex. Zero at 200, first dot on a 300 and second dot was on at 400. Easy scope to hunt with.

I w gone out as far as 450 with a $175 Nikon buck master 3-9 and in far from a great marksman. For hunting I’m a huge fan of a $400 savage 110 and a cheapy 3-9.

Of course I’m a man with a hobby so I’m upgrading and tinkering. But I doubt it’ll kill an elk any deader.

Blue72

WKR
It’s drives me nuts that I spend so much to have a light compact mountain rifle to only add bulk and weight when adding a scope.

lately I’ve been using the even lighter leupold 6 ounce small fixed power scope and love it. I sometimes use red dots for an even smaller lighter set up

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider

my choice for lightweight. With the BDC reticle. Turrets are capped, and short, but you can dial with them.