The nearly perfect budget mountain rifle scope doesn't exi....

LightFoot

WKR
Enter the VX-3HD CDS-ZL.

So, it isn't FFP and doesn't have "NF" stamped on it, but I would trust it to take me to at least 400 yards.

Under 12 oz.
Locking turret.
Throw lever.
Quality glass.
Leupold quality and warranty.
$500

>>>----JAKE----->

wyosam

WKR
Agreed. The lack of MOA/MIL marks in the reticle is the ONLY thing I don't like about this.

I agree. I like the idea of turrets, and I love them at the range and when shooting for fun. I want a reticle that works well for 400 and in, with reliable dialing (don’t care about huge travel for a hunting scope), under 15 oz. If I could shave a few oz of the SWFA 3-9, and have a low profile (and ideally capped) windage turret. There is this market that is just unaddressed. Why can’t we have something built like an SWFA, with a 1” tube, and about a 38mm objective? That should get the weight to a reasonable spot. That type of scope doesn’t need a huge amount of travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Pretty sure no one has used them. They are not in the wild yet.

Yeah, that was my point. Hard to call a new, unused, and untested scope "the perfect" scope. Maybe Im cynical but every new VX series Leupold scope is promised to be new and improved but they have the same problems over and over: 3 to left, 2 to the right, 2 to the left, 3 to the right... etc

wildcat33

WKR
I want a reticle that works well for 400 and in, with reliable dialing (don’t care about huge travel for a hunting scope), under 15 oz. If I could shave a few oz of the SWFA 3-9, and have a low profile (and ideally capped) windage turret. There is this market that is just unaddressed. Why can’t we have something built like an SWFA, with a 1” tube, and about a 38mm objective?

The holy grail. But maybe stretch that distance a bit.

wyosam

WKR
The holy grail. But maybe stretch that distance a bit.

Yeah, ideally the reticle is usable much further, but beyond 400 I’m more likely to dial. Closer in, I really want point and shoot. For me personally, if it is beyond 400 I’m going to spend some time thinking about the shot, and what my options are for getting closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Sucks Leupold got rid of their reticles that work. Tone deaf I suppose. That said I really like to dial and hold my cross hairs right where I want the bullet to hit. Even under 300 yards. Just how I like to do it.

The one CDS scope we have was modified to be so by their pro shop and has worked pretty well for a couple hundred rounds out of a lightweight .300WM.

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
Yeah, that was my point. Hard to call a new, unused, and untested scope "the perfect" scope. Maybe Im cynical but every new VX series Leupold scope is promised to be new and improved but they have the same problems over and over: 3 to left, 2 to the right, 2 to the left, 3 to the right... etc
"Nearly perfect"

I presume the scope will function as advertised. The VX scopes I have are consistent and reliable. I haven't had the issues that I read others have had with Leupold, Vortex, Zeiss, Swaro, and about every other optic that is mass produced.

>>>----JAKE----->

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I have 13 or 14 Leupold scopes ranging from older vari-x ii and iii, to newer vx 2s, 3s and 3i’s. About half of them have never given me any trouble. The other half of them have never been reliable, no matter how many times I send them back to Leupold for “repair”. I’d expect similar odds with the latest and greatest line of Leupold scopes.
I don’t give up on them because I love the ones that work- light and easy to look through.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leupold has multiple, easy to use dot systems, my VXR Firedot came with the option of plain jane Duplex or BDC (for a little additional $). Maybe they will offer the new scope with an optional reticle????

I like the CDS dial option, but sometimes things happen pretty quick :)