The new Vortex 15x56 Diamondback HD

MeatBuck

WKR
Welp... if you're gonna attempt to hand-hold 15s all day? I'm just gonna say that you'll probably end up eventually needing glasses stronger than even MINE... ya feel me here? In all seriousness, sure you can "spot-check" a lil bit with 'em. But don't do that to your eyes man. Looking thru 15s all shaky and hand-held all day? That'll jack up your vision all kindsa quick man, on the real!

Brother, the magic is in them being still. When they're still? Don't know about you... but *I*... even me... with my jacked-up vision that needs glasses 24/7 now... the Predator in me gets unleashed and I see freakin' AN-Y-THING that moves (AND even sh*t that doesn't move) if it's in the FOV! But that magic? It only can happen when the glass is still, man. Otherwise? Your brain gets bombarded by too much input variables it has to contend with and compensate for and you lose soo much of detecting what's actually there! Especially the thicker it is!

There are some tricks though for helping to provide at least somewhat of a rest for the binos. Dudes will perch them on top of a Bipod/Shooting-Sticks and handhold them that way, in an attempt to shed weight. I'm sure that'd help a bit in terms of eliminating shakiness, I'm sure it's better than only hand-holding them, at least.
I glass from a seated position with either my shooting mat rolled up on my lap to set my elbows on or just my pack frame. Hold the bill of my cap to top of binos for added stability. Have done the shooting sticks thing with my old 10x. Don’t carry sticks anymore, they won’t support my rifle at 14lbs so I leave em home.
If I was going to have vision problems they would likely start with a headache from using these 15s all day. But in 4 straight days I had zero issue with anything other than a sore back from sitting all day. But that’s a chronic issue I’ve had since I was a teenager. I take a small lightweight beach chair to some of my glassing locations to help with bad back. Without it my back is sure to be unhappy after glassing more than 12hrs.
I’ll keep tabs on my vision and if I think there’s an issue I will address it.
Thanks for the concern.

TheGDog

WKR
You go hunting with a 14 Lbs rifle? What the... ?? Well... Ok... what kind of rifle is it, may I ask? And is this because you're into doing it long-range, is that the dealio?

Re: seating options - When you don't need height off the ground... bring a Beard-Buster! Predator seat cushion thing. They are a savior for those of us with back/tail-bone issues and injuries! (That Beard Buster brand has a nicer thicker cushion than others I've had. I don't need to supplement it's cushion with the Z-Lite) The back is supported with two metal stays sewn into it, and adjustable straps connect the back to the sit cushion underneath you.

If you need a real chair to sit in, REI FlexLite >>Macro<< chair! Sooo comfortable! Light, packs down to a roll that you can easily strap onto outside of pack. Made for us real-sized fellows.

Pic of my boy zonked out in one...
117238732_299780791115032_2736745203816535630_o.jpg

Last edited:
Well a swing and a miss. My DB's arrived yesterday. Sadly the IPD is not a good fit for my eyes so back they go. I would have kept them if they had more range. The optical quality was decent. Certainly no comparison to my Swaros but for glass that only gets pulled out of the backpack once in a while I feel they would be a good choice if budget were a concern.

ChrisAU

WKR
Well a swing and a miss. My DB's arrived yesterday. Sadly the IPD is not a good fit for my eyes so back they go. I would have kept them if they had more range. The optical quality was decent. Certainly no comparison to my Swaros but for glass that only gets pulled out of the backpack once in a while I feel they would be a good choice if budget were a concern.

I had the same issue, needed it to be narrower. Not much, but 1-1.5mm would have been just right. As it was at 59mm I'd have been asking for a headache using them for long periods of time.

The design does allow for a tripod adapter to be used without sacrificing IPD for those wondering. I had this same issue with Leupold BX-4 12x50s and their design takes away IPD if using a tripod adapter such as Outdoorsmans or KDC.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm on the more narrow side as well. Just bought some used Zeiss Conquest and loving them! I do have to open them up a little when initially getting it into the Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter. But then once it's slid pas the objective ends I can close it back down to where it needs to be for me. Minor inconvenience.

MeatBuck

WKR
After using these binos on several California blacktail hunts I really only have one complaint and that’s the lenses fog up really easily. Both big and small glass fog with temps in the upper 40s and 50s.
Having my hands too close to the big end does it and sealing my eyes to the cups does it.
Not really an issue for hunting warm temps (a zone) but keep a lens cloth handy for cooler temps (b and d zone etc.)

Still have not put these on a tripod. Still have my vision. Still on the fence about tripod. On one hand I had a morning where I was shaky from the cold wind but on the other hand wind is the only thing that really makes a tripod shake. So for that particular instance I would have liked to have had my 10x instead of 15x with or without tripod.

TheGDog

WKR
Tripods are freaking magical for Binos! If you don't have a Tripod... Dude.. you need a Tripod! Doesn't have to be a particularly Heavy Duty one though if it's just for Binos.

MeatBuck

WKR
Also one of the pockets on the harness case had the stitches come loose that hold the elastic. Pocket just sags now. Sent em an email about it. Waiting to hear back.

Fatcamp

WKR

What is your PD?

My PD is 58. I probably could have made them work from a tripod. But if I am spending that much money I would rather get something that works in a size correctly right out of the gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
My PD is 58. I probably could have made them work from a tripod. But if I am spending that much money I would rather get something that works in a size correctly right out of the gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 61. That 3cm probably would make all the difference.

Fatcamp

WKR
I stopped and picked a pair up from Scheels on my way home. We will look through them for a day or two and make a decision.