The next binocular viewer for a spoting scope

WKR
What company follows Swarovski and introduces the next bino viewer for a spotter? Kowa? Vortex? Leica? Zeiss? I'd bet vortex but I'm hoping Kowa.

Or is the market too small? Will they wait to see how sales go?

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I kind'a hope it's Vortex, because that's about the only way I'll ever be able to afford one!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP

WKR
There are bino viewers for telescopes, quite a few of them actually. I do not believe that the TX line from Swaro is the only version of this we will see within the next couple of years.

Bino viewers are common in the telescope/astronomy world and I don't see why they can't be quite easily adapted to a spotter, which is essentially a small telescope.

I know that the Kowa already has a removable eyepiece. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a bino viewer that could attach to the existing product.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Whoever does it I hope they change the minimum interpuppillary distance. I was pump about the Swaro option until I looked at that...my eyes are close together and need at least a 54-55mm. Why they would do that when they don't have objective lenses bumping together like on binos is beyond me. Why eliminate a % of your market. Engineer needs a flogging.

OP

WKR
Anything that has a removable eyepiece seems to be a prime candidate for this technology/adaptation of old technology.

I'm still betting Vortex, but hoping Kowa. Maybe Meopta...

I can't imagine that the scopes with fixed eyepieces would be good candidates for this which rules out the TS line from Swaro, Maven S1, but this is all just amateur speculation from an uneducated/ignorant user.

Anything that has a removable eyepiece seems to be a prime candidate for this technology/adaptation of old technology.

I'm still betting Vortex, but hoping Kowa. Maybe Meopta...

I can't imagine that the scopes with fixed eyepieces would be good candidates for this which rules out the TS line from Swaro, Maven S1, but this is all just amateur speculation from an uneducated/ignorant user.

TS line is not fixed eye piece, but swaro is not going to make another one that would undercut the sales of the tx line.
Kowa makes the Highlander's so again, doubtful. Vortex could, but I doubt they will and the quality would probably be subpar as well. Would you be willing to pay as much for the eyepiece as you do for the body? Most wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

WKR
Wouldn't the TS scope/line already undercut sales of the TX line? Perhaps they are trying to "force" people up to the TX level with the binoviewer.

Highlander from Kowa seems to be a VERY niche product where the spotting scope market is already pretty big by comparison. How many Roksliders would consider the Highlander vs. how many would consider a binoviewer for a spotter... I'm willing to bet that Kowa wouldn't leave that $$$ on the table.

The bino viewers are really not too expensive that I've seen (obviously they're meant for telescopes). I don't think this is cutting edge stuff and I'd be surprised if there aren't "followers" pretty soon.

Wouldn't the TS scope/line already undercut sales of the TX line? Perhaps they are trying to "force" people up to the TX level with the binoviewer.

Highlander from Kowa seems to be a VERY niche product where the spotting scope market is already pretty big by comparison. How many Roksliders would consider the Highlander vs. how many would consider a binoviewer for a spotter... I'm willing to bet that Kowa wouldn't leave that $$$ on the table.

The bino viewers are really not too expensive that I've seen (obviously they're meant for telescopes). I don't think this is cutting edge stuff and I'd be surprised if there aren't "followers" pretty soon.

The TS has been around a LONG time and I'm actually surprised it's still around truthfully, maybe for the weight savings as it's lighter then the TX line?

I have no idea how they are engineered or made but like you said, bino viewers are not a new thing, and this is the first ones( I'm aware of) to hit the market for spotters. They may just be impractical to implement on most spotters bayonet connection area, or companies never saw a need, I am sure they will be watching how the BTX does though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
The BTX looks awesome, don't get me wrong, but I just pack a $1 eye patch and have been able to look through my spotter for hours without too much eye fatigue. It's light, it's simple, and I don't have to spend a ton of money on a spotting scope again, it was hard enough to spend what I spent the first time!

That being said, my guess would be Vortex, they seem to be very "adaptable" to new things that are hot on the market.