The Next Generation InReach

SQfmcvgl.jpg

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...handheld-navigator-meets-global-communication

I will delete this thread if another thread has been opened on the topic. Please feel free to discuss and add links as they are found.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Does not look like I will be needing this one this fall. It it’s at the top of the list next time I am going to be in the middle of nowhere.

Anozira

WKR
I was holding out until Garmin added an expandable memory card slot to the in-reach line. It would be nice to be able to add other mapping systems such as On-X to the gps. Unless I missed it somewhere in the article, it doesn't look like the new units come with a memory card slot?

Anozira

WKR
It is up on Garmin website. There is a micro SD as usual for onX addition. Spendy…$599 at REI

Thanks I'll check out the official Garmin website. $600 is kinda steep I agree. I don't "have" to have the memory card slot. Its more of a want than a need since I already have an On-X card.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
The power figures between it and the Explorer+ might keep me on the Explorer+: "up to 35 hours at 10-minute tracking; up to 200 hours at 30-minute tracking (power save mode)" versus "Up to 100 hours at 10-minute tracking mode (default); up to 75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 30 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 3 years when powered off".

At least until I hear some direct reports from the field.

for the ability to add your own maps
use a microSD
send messages to other inReach devices
16GB on board memory
it might be worth it to consider selling my inReach and go for it. I just am not sure if I will actually put away my phone to use onX maps or type messages. I think the battery system is not powerful enough to handle the use that would be need if we are to actually put down our phone. But i doubt anyone is doing that while knowing how hard it is to type on the digital keyboard.

for the ability to add your own maps
use a microSD
send messages to other inReach devices
16GB on board memory
it might be worth it to consider selling my inReach and go for it. I just am not sure if I will actually put away my phone to use onX maps or type messages. I think the battery system is not powerful enough to handle the use that would be need if we are to actually put down our phone. But i doubt anyone is doing that while knowing how hard it is to type on the digital keyboard.

Mine failed to sync my last time out after getting a new phone, and having to type on that damn thing makes you not even use it. I can’t see anyone using it for messages instead of syncing to the phone and using the app. I’m not sure it’s worth the extra money when onyx on your phone downloaded offline is where it’s at being able to so easily zoom in and out and switch between topo and satellite. I can’t see it being worth it even as cool as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Dill
I'm the farthest thing from an expert....or even knowledgeable on this unit. My guess is Garmin targets this unit at people who either don't carry a phone, or mostly don't have a need/desire to work with 2 powered units at the same time. I also don't see much potential for an InReach (with its PLB/SOS function) to utilize a full color touchscreen. Just too much battery demand I believe. This unit seems to have a greater emphasis on GPS/Mapping functionality versus the Explorer or Mini, and adds InReach communications as a benefit. For those who don't want or need to text frequently, the scroll-and-select keyboard....although cumbersome....is no doubt sufficient.

Rotman

FNG
I may have missed it, but are you able to use just the GPS on this unit and not pay for the PLB function? I would use the GPS function frequently, but only need the PLB about one month a year.

OP
Kevin Dill
I may have missed it, but are you able to use just the GPS on this unit and not pay for the PLB function? I would use the GPS function frequently, but only need the PLB about one month a year.

According to what I've found on both the Garmin and REI websites, "a subscription plan is required to send and receive satellite messages on this device".

I believe all other GPS and mapping functions are available without any type of plan.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea here. Adding an OnX chip and having an all inclusive unit seems great. However depending on use I would still have some concern about that what if. If that internal battery or the unit as a whole takes a crap it’s tough luck as you just lost two of your most valuable pieces of gear. If you are running this as your primary GPS I would bet battery life is sure to take a hit. I like being able to pop and replace batteries in my GPS. Anyway you view it Garmin listens to customers and delivers products that we as outdoorsman want and that’s all we can ask for.

Looney

FNG
It’s a neat product, but unless you’re truly going to ditch the phone for good it seems like carrying two large sized battery devices that share a high number of similarities.

Afhunter1

WKR
I see this unit being perfect for the eastern hunter more so than the western. I like the redundancy of a phone for GPS and a GPS/comm (inreach) when western hunting for multiple nights. I typically know where I'll be hunting ahead of time and can have all my maps downloaded to my onX app. This combo has an amazing battery life as well.

Back home in PA/MD/WV/OH where I hunt, lots of places I don't have cell service and I do day hunts 95% of the time so battery life isn't as important. I don't carry my inreach just because I don't think I'll need it and its extra weight. I do carry a GPS usually because some places can be really thick and it is easy to get turned around at night. I scout a lot without downloading the maps first in my onX because a lot of my scouting can be a last minute idea. This unit would streamline my eastern hunting and also increase my safety as well since I would always have my inreach if it was built into my GPS too. I did fall 20' out of a stand once and was very lucky I had cell service.