the Nissan Titan?

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
The XD was killed for 2020. That is the larger truck with the diesel

For a while, the previous gen Titan was an incredible truck for the price. The refresh left a lot to be desired. The 5/8 ton system was a great idea, they just didn't quite do it right. The technology on the trucks is severely lacking, although the 2020 will have a larger screen, etc.

Otherwise, its just a numbers issue. I think they only sell like 30k units a year. So chances are lower to see one.

They are a great truck, just behind the others right now. The 5.6 V8 is a incredibly solid engine.

The XD wasn't killed, only the diesel option. An XD with a gas motor is still available and the XD is slated for the same or similar update that was recently announced for the 1/2 ton trucks.

I had a 2017 Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins. I dumped it due to motors blowing up and the issues owners have had when going through warranty with Nissan, figured I’d get rid of it while it still had value. Mine only had 27k on it and had zero issues but I dumped it especially after Nissan discontinued the diesel and bought up all the remaining inventory from Cummins.

I think it could of been a great plateform but wouldn’t recommend one due to lack of dealer support, lack of dealer mechanic knowledge and lack of dealers overall.

Now the Titan XD isn’t that big really, my 2019 F250 is big, the cab is about 6” wider and 4” taller then the Nissan and sits about as high as a Titan XD with a 4” lift.

The gas XD might be a good value but I’ve heard they are blowing up motors as well.

So while Nissan has a long warranty period, don’t expect it to be a great experience purely due to a lack of dealer knowledge.

Oh and the fuel mileage isn’t great, about the same as the 3/4 ton diesels.

Do you have a source for the issues with the gas motors? This is the first time in 4 1/2 years of shopping for/owning my truck I've heard anything about a 5.6 "blowing up". This first generation Titan motor has a reputation for longevity and power. I've seen several of these trucks with over 300,000 miles on them and many with over 200.000. The second generation may not have been around enough for longevity examples but power has never been complained about.

I had a 2004 Titan I bought new and drove 11 years and 200,000 miles. I'd say the truck was OK the first 8 years and 150,000 miles. It was a piece of junk the last 3 years and 50,000 miles with maintenance costs at about $5,000 a year....exhaust manifolds, rear diff, front diff, door electrical harness, suspension all were failing etc. I would not buy another one based on a sample of one.

As a side note, I was complimenting a person on their new Chevrolet pickup (I'm actually a Ford guy) in Northern BC last Sunday. The driver said she had to get a new truck, as her almost new Nissan Titan diesel had turned into a total disaster. The DEF system froze up and broke three times last winter (it gets very cold in Northern BC). Nissan only fixed it twice under warranty, the third failure was on the owner. Unfortunately the person was left without the truck for much of last winter. Not the way to retain customers.

8 years and 150K seems like a pretty good vehicle; higher than average per year miles and longer than current average ownership duration.

My truck is a 2012 Pro4X. I bought it in 2016 with just under 60.000 miles on it. I'm getting close to 110,000 and hope to run it to 250,000. The first gen trucks are known for a couple maintenance issues. The big ones being manifolds and radiators. Smaller ones being exhaust corrosion and parking brake failure. When the manifolds crack it is more economical to replace them with long-tube headers. This does require a tune but is still cheaper. Replacing the rest of the exhaust when doing the headers solves the corrosion issue too. The radiators are plastic and known to crack. There are aluminum replacements that are not too difficult to swap in.

My post is probably biased because I love my truck and haven't had any of the major issues. I'll probably do the radiator sometime in the next year and then the full exhaust the following spring. I'll echo that the Titan offers a great value. I also agree that the first generation was dated and the second generation wasn't enough of an update. Nissan is responding with the 2020 refresh and the truck is looking really good.

tdhanses

WKR
The XD wasn't killed, only the diesel option. An XD with a gas motor is still available and the XD is slated for the same or similar update that was recently announced for the 1/2 ton trucks.

Do you have a source for the issues with the gas motors? This is the first time in 4 1/2 years of shopping for/owning my truck I've heard anything about a 5.6 "blowing up". This first generation Titan motor has a reputation for longevity and power. I've seen several of these trucks with over 300,000 miles on them and many with over 200.000. The second generation may not have been around enough for longevity examples but power has never been complained about.

8 years and 150K seems like a pretty good vehicle; higher than average per year miles and longer than current average ownership duration.

My truck is a 2012 Pro4X. I bought it in 2016 with just under 60.000 miles on it. I'm getting close to 110,000 and hope to run it to 250,000. The first gen trucks are known for a couple maintenance issues. The big ones being manifolds and radiators. Smaller ones being exhaust corrosion and parking brake failure. When the manifolds crack it is more economical to replace them with long-tube headers. This does require a tune but is still cheaper. Replacing the rest of the exhaust when doing the headers solves the corrosion issue too. The radiators are plastic and known to crack. There are aluminum replacements that are not too difficult to swap in.

My post is probably biased because I love my truck and haven't had any of the major issues. I'll probably do the radiator sometime in the next year and then the full exhaust the following spring. I'll echo that the Titan offers a great value. I also agree that the first generation was dated and the second generation wasn't enough of an update. Nissan is responding with the 2020 refresh and the truck is looking really good.

Just go to the Nissan Titan forums, there are a few and a Facebook group. Tons of info out there about engine failures, crappy trans shifting etc. the current gas motor was all new in 2016 if I remember correctly.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 2. Current one is a 2012 with 35k miles. I like them because they are less expensive and easy to do maintenance on. Also, ergonomically they better fit me. Yeah they get crappier gas mileage but the initial cost offsets that. On each one I do a couple mods up front and it’s good to go (rear differential vent & bilstein shocks all around). Easy for the diy guy.

Attachments

• 915051CF-1D38-4C2C-B929-B7961AB4DC2A.jpeg
    915051CF-1D38-4C2C-B929-B7961AB4DC2A.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 33

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 2013 Nissan Titan Pro and I’ve been very happy with mine. Bought it new, crew cab, 4x4 differential lock, tow package, tons of room in the cab... 108,000 miles,,, been to Colorado from Nashville 3 times while pulling our enclosed hunting trailer. No problems what so ever.. pulled trailer great... had my Titan on super slick Colorado backcountry dirt (mud) roads and it performed flawlessly. I was a skeptic before buying one but I’m a firm believer now. Mine is not the newer model build tho.. but I will buy another once this one gives out. We drive our trucks til they can’t go anymore.
As mentioned previously, Randy Newberg has been driving Nissan Titans for years and reports that he likes them. I concur with Randy... good luck in your decision... from Nashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 2013 Nissan Titan Pro and I’ve been very happy with mine.

Hey TNHunter, the axle vents on these tend to plug up and then the pressure differences tend to make the axle seals blow out. A super easy and cheap preventative mod is to put a different fitting on it and run a fuel hose up into the tail light and put a fuel filter on the end. Then it gets vented properly. Seems quick elevation changes really contribute to the failures so this prevents it.

Attachments

• AC61DF5A-CE54-4FA9-9930-B92403862960.jpeg
    AC61DF5A-CE54-4FA9-9930-B92403862960.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 28
In 2004 I test-drove all major 1/2 tons and bought a new Nissan Titan. It was a brand new model that year, I liked it much better than anything else we drove, and got a great deal so I took a chance. “Pounded-it” for 14 years as a dual-duty = my hunting rig and pulling my wife’s horse trailer. For the first 10-12 years it ran like a top but for the last 2 everything started to go. Felt I really got my money’s worth.

Bought a new 2018 truck last year and went through a similar dilemma. My screening criteria was it needed to have all of the features for dual-duty of both my hunting chariot and hauling my wife’s horse trailer. So, half-ton V-8 4x4 with Off-Road Package - HD Shocks, skid plates, locking diff & with Towing Package - factory hitch and wiring, oil cooler, tow mirrors, integrated brake controller. Did the research and test drove all the major brands - after a lot of hands-on evaluation, discussion and deliberation we narrowed it down to either the Ram 1500 or Nissan Titan. To get our feature set it was either a loaded Laredo trim or higher 1500 or a Nissan Titan Pro-4X. In the end we were just a bit concerned about the Ram’s long term reliability and the price difference was about $13.5k. The Ram was a bit nicer, but it wasn’t $13.5k nicer - bought the Nissan and love it. Does everything I need - rugged trail rig, handles the horse trailer with ease, and it’s a comfortable on-road cruiser.

Here’s what it looked like the day I bought it & when I first took it on a bowhunt. Yep, it’s my hunting rig for sure.

DFB99883-1F93-4400-BD68-3AB42F5A2CC5.jpegFAD148CD-BF47-4CAB-A9C5-A40EDAD118D0.jpeg

Last edited: