The Non-Truck Tire Thread

The wifes Toyota Highlander is in need of some new tires. Need something that's good in all types of weather. Mainly concerned about the winter months here in ND, but would like a good all-season so we don't need to swap tires when the seasons change.

Trial153

WKR
I go though this yearly with what ever my wife happens to be driving at the time. She just bought a highlander as well about two months ago. I haven't come up with a good solution for all season tires for her. I just put a set of bliztacs on her truck and I plan to change them out in the spring.

260madman

WKR
Back when my wife had a Kia Sorrento it came with Kumho all seasons on it. We were very impressed with their performance and wear never any issues with snow or rain. I can’t remember which model they were though.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Just got rid of Cooper Discoverer AT3 that I put 60K on and liked very much. I put new Cooper Discoverer RTX on and have maybe 500 miles on them so far. Been impressed. I’ll probably be a Cooper fan for life. They are affordable and work well. For reference, I drive a 4WD Honda Element in Northern IL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ndbwhunter
Just got rid of Cooper Discoverer AT3 that I put 60K on and liked very much. I put new Cooper Discoverer RTX on and have maybe 500 miles on them so far. Been impressed. I’ll probably be a Cooper fan for life. They are affordable and work well. For reference, I drive a 4WD Honda Element in Northern IL.

I'm a cooper fan as well. How have those sets done on ice/snow?

bobr1

WKR
They just came out with a new cooper AT3 this year. It's the AT3 4S (4 season) and three-peak mountain snowflake rated. I got them for my wifes ford edge this year in montana and they have been great in rain and snow.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a cooper fan as well. How have those sets done on ice/snow?

Both good in the snow, the RTX seem particularly good, probably just because they are brand new though.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Long time car dealer here. Towed a bass boat for many years to and around Lake Okeechobee . Burned thru Michellins, Good Year, Goodrich, Continental tires like candy on our coral based roads mainly with Tahoe’s, Bronco, K5 Blazer.

Brother tells me about a tire named Master Craft Coursier MSR ( Mud Snow Rain). Not stocked in Florida being the can be studded.

Smoothest ride I ever had. Handle rain perfect and are bad assssss in mud while using 4x4 in standard tire sizes.

I might be on my 5th set or so. I get an easy 40K down here but I don’t run tires too thin because I’m on the road driving to hunt camp, 2 hour drive.

I’m not getting off these, period.

BTW ? Mastercraft is a company owned by Cooper.

This shot was taken after a feeder run during rainy mud season @ camp. Drove feeder to feeder filling up corn. I remember some pastures basically going sideways in 4X4. Never stuck but slung a lot of mud. I could not be anymore happier with a tire then these.

1b7bd429f9a954fbfe4cb064bbf59156.jpg

Reactions: E-2

jmez

WKR
I run the same MasterCraft tires. They work equally as well in the snow.

Not only are they owned by Cooper, they are produced in the same plant in Arkansas.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hankook Dynapro. Have them on my wife’s Sequoia and they e been great, especially in the snow. On the third year, will probably have to replace this summer. A little softer tire, but that’s helpful in the snow. If you watch Amazon, you can get them for around $100 each with free prime shipping ( tires on Amazon???!!, yup way cheaper).

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
For their price point, General Altimax is great. they make a snow version (think it might be studded) and a normal.
Despite the Scion's lack of power, it suffers from traction problems in slippery conditions and the altimax have been the best tires on it, including Michilen Defenders. It's not jus acceleration related, but cornering and basic turns felt real sketch.

On the truck I run Cooper AT3 and I've been so damn impressed with them. I'd get them on my car if they would fit.

Scrappy

WKR
Jmez you just brought back horrible memories for me. I used to work in the curing department in that plant. The only difference in a mastercraft tire and a cooper tire is the tread pattern. I always get a kick out of people saying one tire is better than the other when it is produced by the same company.

I have a 2010 rav4 sport and put bf Goodrich on it back in Oct and I'm very impressed with them in all driving conditions so far .

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...advantage-t-a-sport-p235-55r18-100v-tire.html

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
We have a pair of Blizaks that came with my wife's highlander. I never thought we would have snow tires but these things are great. I would much rather drive her car on a snowy/icy highway than my rig. Kind of a pain to change out each year but it would be hard to go back

We have a pair of Blizaks that came with my wife's highlander. I never thought we would have snow tires but these things are great. I would much rather drive her car on a snowy/icy highway than my rig. Kind of a pain to change out each year but it would be hard to go back

Yup. The Blizzaks are awesome in the snow. Put them on my truck this winter and they’re great. Bought a set of cheap rims to swap them out.

Michelin LTX M&S Defenders. All we used on everything in Colorado high country as well as in BC. Great all season tire. Works well on snow and ice due to all the siping, in the wet and is quiet on the highway. Excellent handling and tread life too.

I like them better than the ATX Michelin All Terrain due to the superior tread pattern, more siping, quieter ride etc.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you for all the recommendations! My choices were limited due to the odd tire size (245/60/18), so I ended up going with the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. They had pretty good reviews and came highly recommended from all the shops I talked to. Even talked one of them in to matching an online price, so it worked out well.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I put Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S run flats on two SUVs. Work great in northeast in heavy snow and ice. No traction or braking issues even two weeks ago at -20 in upstate NY during a snowstorm. Not what I’d call cheap but I found the road noise to be quiet and they are good on fuel while maintain grip in all kinds of weather. And unlike the Goodyear’s and Michelin’s I had before, they are lasting very well.