The Nonresident Spring Bear Hunter's Dilemma

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52995

I spent this afternoon "scouting" for real estate, and campgrounds, and while doing so I observed what spot, and stalk hunters would find to be idyllic bear habitat to hunt with vast clear cuts several years old, rolling hills surrounded by heavy stands of timber, and public access via trails, and logging roads. The area has a significant bear population as well. Yet I failed to observe even one nonresident hunter.
Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on one's perspective) it is not a reduced tag fee unit in the State of Idaho, and that is probably the primary reason why I failed to observe any nonresident bear hunters. They seem to favor units with the most difficult terrain, and excessive hunting pressure. Those reduced fee tags sure "pack 'em in," and help to concentrate nonresident hunters in the more undesirable units leaving the prime hunting areas largely undisturbed, for exclusive use by residents, and those nonresidents willing to "splurge," and spend the extra $200 on a general bear tag. Who emerges the victor in terms of a more satisfying hunting experience , the cheapskates, or big spenders?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob5589

WKR
I paid full price, spent 3 days in 39, and only saw one other hunter, a resident, that really was just camping but had a bear tag "just in case." I also never saw a bear, or even a track or scat pile. I was obviously in the wrong part of the zone with one of the highest non bait/hound harvests lol

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from ID on Sunday.. We hunted a "full price" bear unit. Granted, we were not spot and stalk or DIY (bowhunting with an outfitter over bait and the boys ended up running with hounds) but we never saw another hunter and hunted over a lot of different country, all public. Did encounter a couple of hikers one day, but that was it. So very little pressure in the woods and tons of critters. All four of us took nice bears. I'd pay the extra bear tag cost and hunt that area again in a heartbeat, either DIY or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
All valid points. My point is to your original assesment of a lack of nonresidents in the unrecalled unit you observed. Harvest rates aside, the lack of pressure we encountered makes spending a little more money well worth it to me. I'm already driving through parts of six states to get there. Guess I'll put it to a true test. We plan to skip next year then go back on our own the following spring. We will probably do some spot and stalk as well as set some baits since three of us would be primarily bowhunting. We will be going back to a full price unit and, given all we've learned on this hunt, feel fairly confident we can take a bear or two on our own with four of us hunting. Or not. Time will tell.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Don't attribute your good fortunate to a "lack of pressure" as you confidently assume. The number of bear sightings you, and your associates experienced are almost certainly due to the outfitter's familiarity with his hunting territory, bear densities in that particular unit, as well as knowledge, and skills in selection of bait sites. The majority of baiters in Idaho do not succeed in tagging a black bear. An overconfidence bias will not compensate for a lack of skill, and experience...
Now you are putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about bear sightings or equated that to anything. I only spoke to lack of seeing other hunters. And we covered a serious amount of area and elevations in trucks during that hunt. My only point was, for me, if paying a bit more for the regular tag gets me less pressure, I'm all for that. It makes for an enjoyable hunt, whether I kill a bear or not. That said, hunting with the outfitter and guides was a real education. Mainly I noticed something about the location of every bait, regardless of elevation that determined why it was where it was. I also noticed a strong correlation between something about said item and the number of bears hitting that bait in daylight. So yes, I do now feel I can set up baits and get on some bears. You clearly feel compelled to argue otherwise. As I said earlier, time will tell. But, I get it. Nonresidents who don't know what they are doing should stay in the reduced tag areas and leave the regular units for the knowledgeable residents. I, sadly, will not be able to acquiesce to that request.

MHWASH

WKR
I bought both a reduced and a full priced tag this year. Filled both of them. I attribute my success to hunting with someone who knows the area.
On my reduced hunt my boy and I shot 3 bears in 5 days of hunting the backcountry. I have an older bear hunting mentor that showed me the area when he could still get around good.
My full price tag hunt was in Northern Idaho. I hunted with a local that knew the area real well. We also saw several bears in just a few days.

Attachments

• 9702BD9C-A48C-4F56-BB2A-E290C402F4C3.jpeg
    9702BD9C-A48C-4F56-BB2A-E290C402F4C3.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 80055C96-F6DB-463A-8387-47537DF5D8EE.jpeg
    80055C96-F6DB-463A-8387-47537DF5D8EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

Rob5589

WKR
I bought both a reduced and a full priced tag this year. Filled both of them. I attribute my success to hunting with someone who knows the area.
On my reduced hunt my boy and I shot 3 bears in 5 days of hunting the backcountry. I have an older bear hunting mentor that showed me the area when he could still get around good.
My full price tag hunt was in Northern Idaho. I hunted with a local that knew the area real well. We also saw several bears in just a few days.
Great bears! Knowing the area and knowing bears like you said has to make a difference. I've hunted 76 several times, 15, 16, 12, and 39, and have yet to ever see a bear. This spring was the first time ever targeting them specifically and I blame my lack of success on not having a damn clue lol

So here’s a question for you fellas;

We just got back from ID and hunted unit 17 (a reduced unit). We really desired to hunt spot and stalk and were there mostly for the adventure of hunting the kind of big country the doesn’t exist in Iowa.

We came home with no bears in the truck but had a good time, saw some beautiful country, and got in tight on several deer and elk.

I attributed our lack of harvests to a couple of things- 1. It was almost 90 degrees at 5000’ every day and 2. Lack of experience in the area, though not for lack of e scouting and time spent on the phone with locals.

So here’s the question- the area we were in was also being worked by an outfitter who was running baits and several clients. How much do you feel that the baiting really influences the natural movement of bears? Again, it was 90 degrees and I think that was the biggest factor but it’s hard not to wonder if those bait stations were concentrating bears that would have otherwise been moving more for food...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
I favor Wilderness units, which in Idaho are typically the reduced price units.
Its not about cost for me it’s about the beauty in being in the areas less molested by man.
bagging a bear is just a bonus