The onX Hunt review & question thread, by Rokstaff & Members

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
onX has quite a few articles on there about tips and tricks. Should have spent more time reading those before just winging my way through it... : ) I too struggled with battery life; and the tracking mode and using live maps ate up some serious data. Saving the maps and going airplane mode seems like a good solution.

RCL

WKR
Been using for several months now and really like it.
The land ownership is nice.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
onX has quite a few articles on there about tips and tricks. Should have spent more time reading those before just winging my way through it... : )

Me too Matt. When all else fails, read the instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
So, what’s the verdict onx worth it or no? Asking because the elite membership is on sale for $60 on camofire.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Worth it to me. Only really had that one glitch. Using mine now to figure out where we can hunt in my sons muzz unit.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
So, what’s the verdict onx worth it or no? Asking because the elite membership is on sale for $60 on camofire.

Worth it IMO, we just finished up our first ever hunt out west, and we are from the east coast, couldn't have done it without ONx, dont even attempt to try it without. But onx made finding and staying on public land and roads very easy for us.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Picked it up. Going out with it for first time tomorrow.

Let us know

Used mine in off grid mode yesterday tracking a buck. Flawless and was nice to walk straight back to the truck without having to backtrack

zacattack

WKR
Well I can only give a partial review as I didn’t get to go last weekend, pouring down rain one day and a busted hot water heater killed my plans (I’ve ordered a set of rain gear so at least one problem is solved for the future).

I do like using the maps for finding potential places, and the interface is very intuitive. Took me probably 30 minutes to figure out most things, like adding waypoints, measuring distances which layers I needed and which ones work the best together (still working on that) The only thing I’ve had a problem with is extremely slow speeds with more than a few map layers on. Especially the roads/trails layer. Hoping to get out Friday for a better review.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Zacattack, when I’ve encountered slow speeds, it’s been in cell service. If I got to off-grid, speeds way up (as long as I have that area pre-downloaded)

Let us know your experiences. Thanks

Used onx hunting NE public land. Great for scouting, tracking, hunt strategy, etc. Save high res maps. Got in a bind saving larger, low res maps. It allow me to hang n hunt deeper with a better strategy.

Does anyone have input on trails and road on onx? I'll be scouting land, great trails or road, then boom, it cuts through a corner of private land. My guess would be that the trails are off limits when you hits private, but the roads are accessible to drive on. Is that right? Thanks.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The onX Hunt review & question thread, by Rokstaff & Members

Doug that is going vary in different places. If the road is public and has an easement through the private, it should show up on the map on both ends of the private. Just had that instance this morning. If no easement, map should show road ending at private.
Here’s a screenshot of a few areas with BLM on both sides of road going through private.
4d8e6695817a7ad33617addb404a39c4.jpg

f859f9340539956eadd7678461834bf6.jpg

Last edited:
Doug that is going vary in different places. If the road is public and has an easement through the private, it should show up on the map on both ends of the private. Just had that instance this morning. If no easement, map should show road ending at private.
Here’s a screenshot of a few areas with BLM on both sides of road going through private.
4d8e6695817a7ad33617addb404a39c4.jpg

f859f9340539956eadd7678461834bf6.jpg

Thanks. Very helpful.

OK doverpack, let us know what you find out on that. But for now if I understand you, it sounds like when we save a map we need to make sure all the layers are there that we want, AND give it enough time to auto-populate those layers, before hitting save

Correct?

I've been checking and confirming this since I last posted about the issue and believe I have repeated the issue enough times to confirm. The pictures below show the same map size and area which can be seen by the doubled up sides of the map, I circled the two top corners of the maps in red and file size below in red (I would expect a slight size difference because they are not 100% match). These two saved maps show exactly what I was talking about. One map is about 50% the file size of the other and the smaller file size is the one that originally didn't show me the property line when in offline mode. The larger map I made but let the app "loading wheel" disappear at the top of the screen to the right of the service amount and type, and left of the time in the center of the screen (my maps show two bars verizon and 3 bars wifi) . You cannot see the "loading wheel" in my screen shot as I didn't think to capture a shot midway through populating the larger map. So like I described originally and what Robby confirms with me above, YOU MUST let the map auto-populate ("loading wheel disappears") before hitting the save map button or the map will save whatever it has loaded at the time you hit save.

This seems like a pretty easy programming fix for OnX to just not allow the save map button to highlight (or keep it grayed out) until the map wishing to be saved is fully loaded.

Pictures below show my original saved map for this particular area file size 121.2 MB, the second picture is a direct overlay of this area with the same map layers selected to be saved for offline use but I allowed the app to fully populate the map or finish loading before saving. The fully populated map saved for offline use is 223.7 MB.

IMG_0484 (Medium) painted out.jpg

IMG_0483 (Medium).jpg

I didn't figure this out until I re-saved this map since I knew the first one didn't have what I wanted to be saved, and I was going to delete the original and saw the file size difference and had to check and make sure I had the correct saved map to delete.

This same scenario of smaller and larger map sizes when the map wishing to be saved is fully populated has been repeated with 15 saved maps. Basically When I started getting familiar with the app after Robby got me setup earlier this year I just went through all my areas I thought I would want a map of one night and started saving them. I had all the layers I wanted turned on and then would select the map size and area and hit the save button pretty much instantly and when that one finished move to the next area and repeat.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very clear now doverpack. Thanks for taking the time to clearly illustrate that process.

If anyone is running onX on Off-Grid mode, please read his post above. It will save you frustration.

FlyGuy

WKR
Damn. I just got a new phone and saved all my regular areas last night, but I know I didn’t wait long to hit the save button....

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Damn. I just got a new phone and saved all my regular areas last night, but I know I didn’t wait long to hit the save button....

You can’t cheat the mountain

Upload one of them now and check the file size against last night’s. Let us know.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
20 percent off sale going between now and 12/31

Enter

holiday20

Thanks!

Last edited: