The Perfect Boot

dsotm223

FNG
Describe the perfect boot for you, here is the catch, no name brands. I want features and why you picked them. Im trying to learn what differentiates a good boot from a bad boot without asking whats the best, I don't care what is the best, I want to learn what makes a boot good.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
8-10 Inches tall. Leather. Full rubber rand. Lowa style lace lock. Flexible enough to not feel clunky, but stiff enough to have support. Goretex but breathable. Nice flexible cuff on the collar of the boot. Never leaks. Lifetime warranty. LOL Also a narrow heel with a roomy forefoot. Also, it should come with Superfeet Orange or Trailblazer insoles. I would pay an insane amount of money if this was an option.

8-10 Inches tall. Leather. Full rubber rand. Lowa style lace lock. Flexible enough to not feel clunky, but stiff enough to have support. Goretex but breathable. Nice flexible cuff on the collar of the boot. Never leaks. Lifetime warranty. LOL Also a narrow heel with a roomy forefoot. Also, it should come with Superfeet Orange or Trailblazer insoles. I would pay an insane amount of money if this was an option.
Exactly what im looking for also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
Never leaks. Lifetime warranty. LOL
:LOL:

I agree with the rest of your comment though I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a better insole somewhere. I suppose I'd rather have a crappy one to keep the cost down so I could add my own and am thinking Sheep Feet Insoles may be the next purchase.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For bowhunting elk I prefer about a 7" high boot, lightweight.......so cordura and leather mix uppers, flexible for quick mobility but some side stiffness for support, good Vibram sole, rand, and at least a little waterproof. These have done me very well for the last 8 years, but time for some new soles. Sure hope these exact same kind of soles are still available.
100_4385.JPG

gelton

WKR
8-10 inch Full-grain leather and a rubber rand with 200 grams or less of Primaloft insulation which either:

1. Doesn't exist or 2. Is not offered in a wide.

I just do not understand why these boot manufacturers use Nubuck and charge a high dollar for it which from my understanding is one of the cheaper ways to make boots. Also, the most effective leather conditioners/waterproofers are not designed for a nubuck finish.

I just picked up a pair of Meindle Comfort Extremes, which are at least waxed Nubuck but are non-insulated. I have been unable to find a lightly insulated full-grain leather 8-10 inch hunting boot, or even waxed nubuck, lightly insulated boot, offered in a wide anywhere.

Poser

WKR
I prefer solid leather.
Full rand.
Line locks for the laces
Medium flex.

If it’s too hot for solid leather, I’ll go with a trail shoe, but I’m not a fan of Cordura or mesh on boots because it does not absorb DWR treatment the way leather does and they always end up leaking.

OP
dsotm223

dsotm223

FNG
I see a lot of leather, is there a specific reason why leather over other synthetics? Do the synthetics not stand up?

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I personally think leather is easier to deal with. I have synthetic boots, and they typically don't stand up to scree fields, and sharp rocks very well. I like them for the weight savings, but that's where the good ends. Leather seems to stand up to the elements better when conditioned correctly, and they typically can take way more abuse. I also like that leather molds to your feet better. My Lowa Tibet Mids have changed from a very stiff leather to very supple in a short amount of time.

nobody

WKR
+/- 8" Tall, Full Synthetic Construction, Medium-High Stiffness Outsole, Soft Cushy Insole (plantar fasciitis SUCKS), Waterproof (Obviously), Non-Insulated (That's what wool socks are for), Narrow at the heel, wide at the forefoot, Good warranty, overall durable so I can hopefully get several years out of them!

Poser

WKR
I see a lot of leather, is there a specific reason why leather over other synthetics? Do the synthetics not stand up?

Synthetics don’t absorb waterproofing conditioners very well. Anytime I come home and my boot leather is really wet, I’ll clean them and apply some conditioner, which the leather will absorb well when saturated. -never had much luck getting Cordura to or similar to remain waterproof after the factory DWR wears out.

Rick M.

WKR
I personally think leather is easier to deal with. I have synthetic boots, and they typically don't stand up to scree fields, and sharp rocks very well. I like them for the weight savings, but that's where the good ends. Leather seems to stand up to the elements better when conditioned correctly, and they typically can take way more abuse. I also like that leather molds to your feet better. My Lowa Tibet Mids have changed from a very stiff leather to very supple in a short amount of time.
I read your epic boot review write-up. Any update on the Salewas? Have you moved away from them and back to the Tibets? I am currently looking at trying either the Rapace or the Vulture Evo, but was interested in whether or not your views have changed since your post.

I usually have the exact same issue as you with my pinky toe getting destroyed. Very rarely do I get blisters anywhere else, so when I read about your 'cure' with the Salewas I got pretty stoked to try them. Thanks so much!

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I read your epic boot review write-up. Any update on the Salewas? Have you moved away from them and back to the Tibets? I am currently looking at trying either the Rapace or the Vulture Evo, but was interested in whether or not your views have changed since your post.

I usually have the exact same issue as you with my pinky toe getting destroyed. Very rarely do I get blisters anywhere else, so when I read about your 'cure' with the Salewas I got pretty stoked to try them. Thanks so much!
I have moved away from the Salewas. The only reason is due to not being able to find an insole that fits and provides the metatarsal padding i need in that specific boot. (The Salewa is already kind of molded to add support, so when you add an insole, it really starts to screw with the fit of the boot. The boot feels great with stock insoles, but with the amount of weight im carrying, it's just not working out. I still enjoy the Salewas, but am using them for early season only. This year i've been running my Tibets super hard, and to be honest i think they're the best boot out there for me. I like that they accomodate a ton of insoles due to the lack of shape/support in them. It's basically a thick flat piece of polyurethane and it's up to you to custom fit them with whatever insole you like. If i were to redo anything, it would be to find an insole that fits me (Superfeet Orange for me) and then find a boot that felt good with that insole. For me, that boot is the 12W Lowa Tibet. I've spent WAAAAY too much money on boots and if i could have a redo, i would have 1 pair of my lowa tibets, then possibly a Lowa Ranger, or Crispi Nevada. Hope this helps. If you need any other help, PM me and i'll usually respond pretty fast.

Rick M.

WKR
I have moved away from the Salewas. The only reason is due to not being able to find an insole that fits and provides the metatarsal padding i need in that specific boot. (The Salewa is already kind of molded to add support, so when you add an insole, it really starts to screw with the fit of the boot. The boot feels great with stock insoles, but with the amount of weight im carrying, it's just not working out. I still enjoy the Salewas, but am using them for early season only. This year i've been running my Tibets super hard, and to be honest i think they're the best boot out there for me. I like that they accomodate a ton of insoles due to the lack of shape/support in them. It's basically a thick flat piece of polyurethane and it's up to you to custom fit them with whatever insole you like. If i were to redo anything, it would be to find an insole that fits me (Superfeet Orange for me) and then find a boot that felt good with that insole. For me, that boot is the 12W Lowa Tibet. I've spent WAAAAY too much money on boots and if i could have a redo, i would have 1 pair of my lowa tibets, then possibly a Lowa Ranger, or Crispi Nevada. Hope this helps. If you need any other help, PM me and i'll usually respond pretty fast.
PM sent!

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
8-10 inch Full-grain leather and a rubber rand with 200 grams or less of Primaloft insulation which either:

1. Doesn't exist or 2. Is not offered in a wide.

I just do not understand why these boot manufacturers use Nubuck and charge a high dollar for it which from my understanding is one of the cheaper ways to make boots. Also, the most effective leather conditioners/waterproofers are not designed for a nubuck finish.

I just picked up a pair of Meindle Comfort Extremes, which are at least waxed Nubuck but are non-insulated. I have been unable to find a lightly insulated full-grain leather 8-10 inch hunting boot, or even waxed nubuck, lightly insulated boot, offered in a wide anywhere.

That sounds a lot like the Schnee's Beartooth Classic. It doesn't say so in the description, but it certainly looks like full grain leather to me. If you want 200g of insulation, you'll have to go with the regular Beartooth which is made from nubuck. I have flipper feet and the wide uninsulated Beartooth fits my foot like a glove.

Firehawk

WKR
There are a lot of really good boots out there. Some are similar, some are very different. I agree with what others have stated in that leather, goretex (never leaks would be AWESOME!), good stiffness-but not too stiff, and what I think is the absolute MOST IMPORTANT of all---FITS YOUR FOOT!!!

I have really learned that if it doesn't fit well, it really doesn't matter how good a boot it is. It has to fit your foot. Only your foot can tell you which boot will fit best. Some people are lucky in that most boots fit them well. Then there are the rest of us that spend countless dollars trying to get the perfect fit. narrow heel, regular arch and mid foot, and slightly wider across the foot pad requires specialty stuff. Sheepsfeet insoles are helping me with mine now and it has made a very positive difference.

Honyock

WKR
Boots that fit your feet well. If your boots don't fit your feet it doesn't matter what boot you use, it's not going to be pretty. Different manufacturers use different last when making their boots so they will all fit a little different. Find which brand fits your feet best and go from there. I like an all leather 8 inch boot with plenty of ankle support and a fairly stiff sole.

gelton

WKR
That sounds a lot like the Schnee's Beartooth Classic. It doesn't say so in the description, but it certainly looks like full grain leather to me. If you want 200g of insulation, you'll have to go with the regular Beartooth which is made from nubuck. I have flipper feet and the wide uninsulated Beartooth fits my foot like a glove.
Yeah I have tried them but their wide werent wide enough...