The perfect elk rifle...

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
For a sub 7pound rifle, I'd say a 280AI or 7mm Saum, but really neither are to far from your 270 WSM. With that in mind, I'd look for a rifle for the thick stuff, maybe in 338 Fed or 338 RCM or 358 Win, Just to round out your safe.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
simple answer.the perfect elk rifle for all hunting conditions,starts at a 300 mag.when you consider all things.starts there and goes up.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I had $2500 to spend on elk, I'd get $2k in boots and socks, and spend the rest on the rifle. That said, there's no shortage of options that are sub-7 and can shoot. I think you will be hard pressed to find something in that sweet spot much bigger than 30 caliber though... as much as I know some of those thumpers really do a superior job of killing elk (all other shot placement things being equal).
Money is better spent on foot gear for hunting in elk country. No truer words. You will curse your boots and heavy gear before you would ever curse that .270.

Any magnum is gonna lay an elk out hit in the lungs with good placement inside 700 yards if you can drop a pill on him. Its all academic and preference what you choose. Me, I run the minimum caliber for my purpose. I don't need the extra recoil to manage my shot or stay on target. I also shoot suppressed cause I am a wimp.

I have a 270 wsm and it's lighter than my 300 mag so it's my primary mountain elk rifle. I put a 1:8 twist on it and shoot 170 grain Bergers out of it for 400 to 700 yds, while my primary magazine has 140 grain Hammer Hunters for close range. It is flat nasty on elk. If I really wanted another bada$$ elk rifle I'd go with a 300 Weatherby in the Carbonmark V model. Shooting some 200 to 215 grain projectiles at +3000 fps would make for a fantastic addition to the gun safe. Enjoy to hunt for the new rifle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-195824_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-195824_Chrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 50

idahodave

WKR
You'd be hard-pressed beat a Tikka Superlite chambered in 7mm Rem Mag flinging 160-168 bullets with a decent BC…but you can spend a LOT of money trying to equal it.

Top it with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and you’re into it less than your limit.

You’ll have a light, dependable, accurate killing machine with zero drama.

I wish I could go back 20 years and do this plan exactly. I’d have a LOT more money in my pocket and just as many (maybe more) dead elk.

dave

jge340456

FNG
i have no personal experience hunting elk but a close friend goes regularly to hunt them on a indian res with a guide and they say most that come with a 300 win mag or above make a bad shot and they have to track them for a second shot and their preference is a 22 mag lung shot at 200yrds and they just keep grazing till they drop. way i understand it is game laws dont apply on indian reservations. my brother has taken two with a 30-06 here in ky and it has done well, but we dont generally get the long shots like out west.

Wrench

WKR
If you want another rifle, buy one....but you sure don't need one.

I have basically infinity rifles and chose a 270win to kill a bull this year. I killed another with a 300 and it died no faster nor deader.

sneaky

"DADDY"
30 Nosler +P if we're just dreaming here

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having a 7 saum built now for elk. Plan on shooting 168 grain pills. Should be good medicine for elk or deer. But wont be much different than the gun you have already. Accuracy is most important and I know from personal experiences that ill shoot lower recoil guns more accurate. That's why I stayed away from the big 300's. If recoil isn't an issue then the 300 PRC may be something to look at.

Finally moved to MT, so I see a lot more elk hunting in my future.

Currently, the rifle with the most sauce in my safe is my trusty CA Ridgeline in 270 WSM.

Now I'm fully aware of the fact that a 140 grain Berger at 3400 is bad news for any bull that ever lived...but I like rifles and there's something to be said about having the perfect tool for the job. Have read enough posts from guys that see a lot of elk die, to know bigger is better.

So with that, if a fella was looking for a sub 7 pound elk hammer for less than $2500, what are some recommendations on rifle/cartridge combo?

I handled a CA Mesa Ti in 300 PRC that stole my heart...but I want some more bad influences before pulling the trigger.
I guess my questions are
1. Do you handload
2. What ranges are you planning on hunting at?
Personally I love the WSMs they're all extremely accurate and easy to tune.
For the handloader there's no sweeter combo than a fast twist wsm of your choice throated for heavy bullets, and built on a tikka action.

If you're a factory guy check out the Fierce Fury or Seekins PH2 in 7 rm or 300 prc.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I guess my questions are
1. Do you handload
2. What ranges are you planning on hunting at?
Personally I love the WSMs they're all extremely accurate and easy to tune.
For the handloader there's no sweeter combo than a fast twist wsm of your choice throated for heavy bullets, and built on a tikka action.

If you're a factory guy check out the Fierce Fury or Seekins PH2 in 7 rm or 300 prc.
I don't handload and likely never will, not enough bandwidth most of the time. 600 yards is my current outer limit under ideal conditions.

Grab another Ridgeline and you won’t have to develop a different set of muscle memory.

For a cartridge look at 28 Nosler. More oomph than many of the 300s.

I think (hope?) I built the "perfect elk rifle" for me at least - my .284 Winchester built on a Savage Lightweight Storm action and stock. 7 lbs. exactly, scoped, and it's throwing 140 grain Noslers downrange at a hair under 3k fps. with very tolerable recoil (22 ft. lbs.). If that doesn't do it, then I need to quit elk hunting.

If I wanted a factory rifle, I'd grab a stainless Tikka in '06 or 7 Mag and be done with it.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
For strictly an Elk rifle, as far as calibers go, I don’t think you can beat a .300 (Win, PRC, Weatherby, Norma, etc.) or a .338 Win Mag. I can vouch for the devastating effect that the .338 delivers, on larger game (Elk, Bears, Oryx, Zebras, Kudu, etc.)

200+ Grain Bullets in the 30, and 225+ in the 338 would be my vote.