THE Perfect hunting arrow

For me, with my 32" draw, perfect is the lightest arrow I can tune (without dropping below a 125 grain head) that's still long enough to keep the broadhead off my shelf and away from my hand. Right now that's 12gpp out of a 43lb Widow. I'd prefer 10gpp for the speed bump, but to get there I have to go up in bow weight. Really difficult to find 400 or 500 spine arrows that are 32.5" long. Even more so to get under 10gpi arrow shafts.

GLB

WKR
For me I like my arrows to be 10-11 gpp. That gives me somewhere between 550-600. I don’t want to go over 600.
I like a little Foc but try not to go much over 20%

GLB

WKR
“I dont worry about FOC. If my arrow has perfect flight.... the FOC takes care if itself”

I totally agree, I don’t seek any extra FOC as I like to run 200 BH up front plus insert. That gives me plenty. What I have found is that I like the way an arrow behaves with 15-18% FOC. Thats why I try not to go over 20% based on where the arrow tunes at.

Wrench

WKR
Just did the math and am at 11.3 and 12.5 for my two common setups.

I'm right about 10 grains per pound. I have thought that was kinda the sweet spot for me, tho I think a little lighter and I can be more accurate.

Hard stuff to admit on an open forum and not expect a fight. Gotta have that 20% and 650+ gr.

My priorities like you have been arrow flight first, and that can be the trickiest part with trad bows. I have a lazy release and find I need heavier poundage to get the rust broke free in my little pecker pumpers.

nphunter

WKR
I think the Axis trad shafts come uncut 33", great arrows.
What do you have wrapped around the end of your strings? I’m assuming it’s to quiet the bow down.

I’m shooting 44lbs and my hunting arrow will be 558gr so 12.6gpp for deer this fall. The arrows fly well and shoot great with Broadheads so I’m happy. I’m pretty darn accurate out to 30 and point on is close to 50 with my anchor.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't like to go below 10gpp and honestly for me and the way I anchor, split with low anchor, and then top that off with a 31"draw and generally a 32" arrow, my point on is usually 60+yards. So when I shot faster arrows 180fps+ I was better than most at long shots and worse than most at close, actual hunting distance shots. Switched to shooting slower bows/arrows and dropping my speed down, 170ish FPS, it moved my arrow tip up closer to the target and my close shooting became really good and my long distance shooting got worse but that's a trade I'll make and I'm still pretty good at long distance. But my slow arrows are still faster than most due to my long draw.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
What do you have wrapped around the end of your strings? I’m assuming it’s to quiet the bow down.

I’m shooting 44lbs and my hunting arrow will be 558gr so 12.6gpp for deer this fall. The arrows fly well and shoot great

I also
deleted

-

Last edited:
My hunting bow’s arrows are right at 11.05gpp, my lighter weight bows for target practice/form work are around 10gpp.

Wrench

WKR
Yeah I was shooting a heavier arrow for awhile....12-13Gpp. I doubt I will ever go over 11 GPP Unless I’m hunting some thing like water buffalo.

For me, I bought in to the spine hype and went stiff. I ended up needing 300 up front to rip clean once I was using good form. I dropped to 500's and suddenly could lose 100gr up front with no issues.

I've never chased weight with my recurve bows as I just want to find something that tunes and is quite/forgiving. I think with my heaviest recurve my arrows are around 8gpp and for my lighter practice recurve they're closer to 10gpp.

When I got my heavy longbow I shot some of my recurve arrows out of it and got them to tune nicely by cutting them down a little but they were only at around 8gpp. Well within the real of what is acceptable but I wanted to get them much heavier to make the bow more forgiving, and also because shooting a D style longbow isn't really about speed. It's 65# @ 26.5 inches (my DL) so my arrows are right on 650gns. I would have gotten them heavier for that setup if I could have and I may well try that in the future. They're cut to 27 inches and have 300gns up front.

One of the advantages of having a shorter DL (27in with recurves and 26.5in for longbows) is there is a much wider window of tune for me. With one of my recurves that's about 52# at my draw I could either run 400 spines cut to 27.5 inches or 350 spines at 30 inches. I could float somewhere between 230gn and 255gn up front depending on a few things.

None of this is based on killing many animals as I'm still fairly new to the trad game but as I said before I'm all about something being quiet and forgiving. Everything I've hit has died quickly but that's as much to do with my broadheads being sharp and putting it in the right place as anything else.

LostArra

WKR
Beendare:
10 gpp seems to give me the same characteristics you are looking for except point-on is outside my hunting comfort zone. I need a somewhat flatter trajectory for distance judging errors when hunting animals of widely varied sizes like elk, southern whitetails and hogs.

I have one recurve, a Morrison Shawnee Arapaho, that I have set up with a single brass pin sight because my old man vision is a little fuzzy with some broadheads vs fieldpoints. I have that set for 25yds "pin-on" distance then just gap shorter shots.

I’ve ended up between 10-11 GPP as well. Recently I shot three different arrows I have laying around. All rough weights around 450, 500, and 560 (cannot remember exact weights). I got speeds of 199, 189, and 178. Those fast arrows would be awesome to hunt with, but I love how much more quiet the heaviest arrow is, and at close to 180 FPS, I’m more than happy with it. Plus the point on of that arrow is closer.