THE Perfect hunting arrow

GLB

WKR
Okay will do! I feel like it would be just a little easier having a closer point on for the ranges I will be hunting. Holding 20-25” low with the current shorter arrows is a little bit of a pain.
I would definitely try the 500s also and see which setup you like best.

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
For the past 20+ years I’ve used cedar and spruce arrows for deer and small game. Always use 125 grain broadheads and usually two blade Grizzlies or some free three blade woodsmans I have a stash of. Usually my finished weight is around 600-650 grains. I will shoot any type of arrow but it seems I enjoy hunting with wood arrows most.

For the past 20+ years I’ve used cedar and spruce arrows for deer and small game. Always use 125 grain broadheads and usually two blade Grizzlies or some free three blade woodsmans I have a stash of. Usually my finished weight is around 600-650 grains. I will shoot any type of arrow but it seems I enjoy hunting with wood arrows most.
Same. I like wood arrows a lot and use a single bevel grizzly. 200 grains up front on mine.

I’d note that I changed my setup slightly since I last posted. My draw length has increased after a clinic with Rod Jenkins, so I had to lengthen my arrow, and had to stiffen the spine.

Now I’m at a 75-80 wood spine, 200 grain head at 31” arrow length.

Last edited:
Lmao! The bow is 56# at 28”, but I pull closer to 30”. I’m guessing it’s about 60#? I won’t go any higher in spine, that’s for sure. These are about as stiff as they come in an 11/16” diameter. I don’t want to move up to 23/64”.

The arrows clock in around 700 grains.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely try the 500s also and see which setup you like best.
Maybe my shot has evolved a little bit since I started messing with the 500’s but somehow I have them the same length as the 600’s with the same point weight. Kinda confusing. Ordered up
An accutune from The Push. Tired of wasting money on arrows… even though that will likely continue hah

I think the perfect hunting arrow will have a trajectory you’re accurate with, while being heavy enough for good penetration, and tipped with a broadhead you can get and keep scary sharp.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of messing around I think I’ve landed on my ideal hunting arrow. It’s a 500 spine BE Instinct cut to 28.75”. 583gr with 300 up front. 3” trad vanes and a 5” wrap, comes out to 24% foc.. Flys very nice out of my 45lb Satori.

25yd point on with a 1/4” crawl. With very manageable gaps out to 35.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Ran a quick search but didn’t come up with anything.. Does anyone know if the 3 Rivers Traditional Only Barebow arrows are the same thing as the Easton Axis Traditional arrows? Seems like the GPI lines up, but was just curious.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Ran a quick search but didn’t come up with anything.. Does anyone know if the 3 Rivers Traditional Only Barebow arrows are the same thing as the Easton Axis Traditional arrows? Seems like the GPI lines up, but was just curious.

Sorry, I know I'm way late, and I don't know the answer to your question, but I shoot the Traditional Only Barebow arrows. Like you, I found online that all of the specs seem to line up with the Axis, but the Barebow arrows have a thick and pretty durable coating over them. I like it quite a bit.

However, I did not like the half-out inserts that came with them, and swapped them out for the 5mm HIT inserts and some Gold Tip ballistic collars with appropriate ID. I also added some nock end collars from 3 Rivers. All have held up very well--and I may have missed the target once or twice, too.

Let me know if you have any questions in particular about the arrows, and I'll try to help.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Alright back at the arrow building game for my new Toelke. Anyone able to get Trad Vanes to shoot reliably off of the shelf? They shoot great off of the springy on my Satori but I get consistent smacking on my long bow. With that said I have great bareshaft flight, but get that smacking noise and bad flight from the trad vane hitting the shelf.

Rob5589

WKR
Alright back at the arrow building game for my new Toelke. Anyone able to get Trad Vanes to shoot reliably off of the shelf? They shoot great off of the springy on my Satori but I get consistent smacking on my long bow. With that said I have great bareshaft flight, but get that smacking noise and bad flight from the trad vane hitting the shelf.
The prevailing thought is that a properly spined arrow should paradox around the riser so there shouldn't be any contact, or very minimal. I gave up on trad vanes, they were just too delicate; easily torn, damaged, distorted. One or two bad releases and I would tear the leading edge when it would contact a flipper rest.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
The prevailing thought is that a properly spined arrow should paradox around the riser so there shouldn't be any contact, or very minimal. I gave up on trad vanes, they were just too delicate; easily torn, damaged, distorted. One or two bad releases and I would tear the leading edge when it would contact a flipper rest.
Fair enough. Do you run Wild Fletchings or natural to help with waterproofing?

mattflint

FNG
Im currently re thinking the “perfect” arrow.
After reading much of Beendares posts, and talking recently with Randy cooling. I raised my anchor a ton. So as to get away from super heavy arrows for a decent point on.
Ive got some .400 centershots at 32.5” 25 grain inserts 150 points wraps and ff360 vanes flying real well. Odd because I had to drop 50 grains when raising and bringing anchor forward.
Anyhow those get me right at 10gpp and a 35 yard point on,30 with using my broadhead as reference.
Going to be trying out the Snydercore system.
I think I can come close to same taw with some Black eagle instincts and 160 wide iron wills with 10 grain collars.
I think this may prove out pretty well perfect for me out of my pma.
10 gpp sure makes my odd yardage shots a lot more consistent than when I’m shooting stupid heavy arrows. Shooting closer than my point on has proven a weak point in my shooting before going lighter.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Common sense check me here guys.
54lb recurve.
30” 340 spine with 200 total up front.

Am I way off spine or in the ball park? Bare shafts fly straight but with a little nock high and a touch left in the target.

Rob5589

WKR
Common sense check me here guys.
54lb recurve.
30” 340 spine with 200 total up front.

Am I way off spine or in the ball park? Bare shafts fly straight but with a little nock high and a touch left in the target.
I'm close to that; 32" .340, 200 total, 49lbs. Flies great.