THE Perfect hunting arrow

Sapcut

WKR
d6c8b2d9c9d62364fe447f7788632ddf.jpg

I think this set-up is around 23 grains per inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice arrow mass and Meathead broadhead. Little bias I guess, I actually named that head for Joe Furlong, previous owner of Tuffhead.

They are Ashby proud. Funny thing is they are tuned to a 42lb bow.

That reminds me of a funny thing regarding tuning of these massive beach mouse arrows.

I was at a 3D shoot a few years ago. As always, I would shooting my hunting arrows with only switching to field points. That particular arrow was 830ish grains and 30+% FOC with double footing system I created. I had just shot a round with two guys and then was at practice range with them shooting more. They were curious about my arrow builds and wanted to shoot them from their bows. They both shot the arrows and both immediately said how well the arrows flew out of each of their bows and was rather puzzled how that could possibly be.

Of course the arrow was tuned to my bow and the three bows used were my 70# Widow recurve, a 55# widow recurve and a 48# longbow (I believe it was). They swore the arrow flew perfectly. I talked to one of them since on Tradgang and reminded him of that day and he confirmed that is exactly what happened.

That is a great advantage to building arrows correctly, in my opinion.

Fling-One

FNG
I’m shooting 31” Day Six 400 spine arrows with 100 gr insert/collar and 200 grain heads out of my BW PLX 64” bow @ 53.5 lbs. shoots 170 on the nose, arrows weigh 633 gr. They are great arrows so far.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve recently gone from having some trouble getting a really good tune with .204’a and .166 arrows with pretty stout weight upfront like 300grn range. Grabbed some lower spine .244’s and normal inserts and they’ve been flying great and I’ve been doing my best shooting. By no means is this a symptom of arrow size but rather I’m sure my skill / lucking out on the larger arrow setup being closer off the bat most likely. But regardless, much more confidence in much cheaper arrows flying straight rather then very fancy expensive arrows going sideways.

Mudd Foot

WKR
I’ve recently gone from having some trouble getting a really good tune with .204’a and .166 arrows with pretty stout weight upfront like 300grn range. Grabbed some lower spine .244’s and normal inserts and they’ve been flying great and I’ve been doing my best shooting. By no means is this a symptom of arrow size but rather I’m sure my skill / lucking out on the larger arrow setup being closer off the bat most likely. But regardless, much more confidence in much cheaper arrows flying straight rather then very fancy expensive arrows going sideways.

Having an arrow saw is a huge help in the fine tuning of arrows IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I have an arrow saw. I think I was just stuck in my own ideas of what my arrow setup should be instead of just adjusting to whatever worked.

well, i had a choice to make.... new string setup changed my tune, so either add more point weight to the arrows i was shooting, or start over completely...

didn't want to add more point weight to my other set of arrows, because it would put me over 600gr, which i didn't want.... new arrow build i finished fletching today.... didn't want to go this light, but bare shafts were flying so pretty out to 35yds i left it.... right at 500gr finished arrow weight... 29 3/4" C to C 400 spine rampages, 250gr up front, 4" wrap, 4 fletch 3" trad vanes..... pretty light seeming, but arrow flight is on point, and those blood eagles look like they will make up for some arrow weight in terms of penetration...

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
well, i had a choice to make.... new string setup changed my tune, so either add more point weight to the arrows i was shooting, or start over completely...

didn't want to add more point weight to my other set of arrows, because it would put me over 600gr, which i didn't want.... new arrow build i finished fletching today.... didn't want to go this light, but bare shafts were flying so pretty out to 35yds i left it.... right at 500gr finished arrow weight... 29 3/4" C to C 400 spine rampages, 250gr up front, 4" wrap, 4 fletch 3" trad vanes..... pretty light seeming, but arrow flight is on point, and those blood eagles look like they will make up for some arrow weight in terms of penetration...

Thats ^ your Blacktail, correct?

ledflight

WKR
I was at a 3D shoot a few years ago. As always, I would shooting my hunting arrows with only switching to field points. That particular arrow was 830ish grains and 30+% FOC with double footing system I created. I had just shot a round with two guys and then was at practice range with them shooting more. They were curious about my arrow builds and wanted to shoot them from their bows. They both shot the arrows and both immediately said how well the arrows flew out of each of their bows and was rather puzzled how that could possibly be.
Is this a result of having super heavy arrows? I noticed that when I put 600+ grain arrows on my kids' bows they almost always fly reasonably well.

Sapcut

WKR
I think partially due to heavy total arrow weight but mainly that in combination with very high FOC. Having so much weight on the front of the projectile makes it much harder to get and stay off course. Like a yard dart. It will land where the nose takes it with the long rear lever having very little to do with its destination point. Very much unlike a “balanced arrow “

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I build an arrow for the right application, keep in mind I'm a gap shooter.
I'm a midwest whitetail hunter mostly so I run an arrow that has a 30 yard point on. It makes my gaps better at almost all hunting range shots.
I'm only pulling 48lbs at 31" with max 4 super curves.

Bwatson

FNG
This is the first year I’ve taken trad seriously so still learning trad tuning.
I shoot 300 spine in my compound and decided to see what I could do with those. Shooting an old AMF Red Wing Hunter 47# recurve at 28” draw.
Cut Easton 6.5mm 300s to 29”. Ethics 150gr stainless insert plus 50gr sleeve. 3-4” feathers, a wrap and standard nock. Arrow weight minus head is right around 500gr. I find it to be very forgiving. I get good flight and paper tear out of points from 150-250gr.
At 750gr with a 250gr head it’s a heavy setup and only going about 140ish FPS but flies true.
Shot the other day with a 200gr on one arrow and 250gr on another and didn’t notice much difference in trajectory until about 30 yards which is beyond my hunting comfort zone. So just ordered some 250gr Valkyrie Blood eagles that’ll be here by the weekend. Plan to shoot this weekend and see how they fly.
My PO is 27 yards shooting 3 under. I hunt whitetail in pretty thick areas so most shots should be 20ish so thinking this will work nicely.
Plan to build 340 and 400 spine setups as well but that 750gr is a thumper and will be my go to unless the lighter setups blow me away.