THE Perfect hunting arrow

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I am not disputing that lol. I know how fast they are. They do matrix shit all the time. Hence why I’ve spined 3 deer with a compound…and why I don’t stop them anymore. I am not trying to argue that with you. I was being literal in the fact they aren’t 1100 FPS fast, so maybe an extra 50 FPS might make a slight difference if you go moderately heavy arrow compared to water Buffalo heavy arrow.

Tuned/quiet are main 2 things I care about.

And to your point, I believe quiet is much more important than speed. It’s one of my favorite parts of trad. The deer just don’t respond at the shot like they do with a compound.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted your not that fast comment. I have to constantly remind myself to shoot low when hunting. To the point I literally write it on my riser so I see it and am reminded at the shot.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted your not that fast comment. I have to constantly remind myself to shoot low when hunting. To the point I literally write it on my riser so I see it and am reminded at the shot.
There's some Texas guys I know of who aim a little below the brisket line! I can't bring myself to aim that low.

I am not disputing that lol. I know how fast they are. They do matrix shit all the time. Hence why I’ve spined 3 deer with a compound…and why I don’t stop them anymore. I am not trying to argue that with you. I was being literal in the fact they aren’t 1100 FPS fast, so maybe an extra 50 FPS might make a slight difference if you go moderately heavy arrow compared to water Buffalo heavy arrow.
It’s fine, I see where you got that from. The completely unsuspecting buck I shot at last year (22 yards) dropped about 3-4” at the shot… and he was facing away and completely relaxed.

Im on a quest: I think Im going to attempt to have 2 setups for my hunt bow with a long and short PO.

My current 31.25” 557 gr arrow has a long 45yd PO. I ordered some longer shafts to see how that affects my PO- trying to get it to about 30 yds.

If that doesnt work, I will mark a fixed crawl on my serving with floss for a 30-35yd PO and see if I can get my BHs and bare shafts to fly perfect. The FC might be the best overall solution though not legal in tourneys.

Anyone have 2 sets of arrows they shoot….or a crawl for shorter PO?
-
I believe most tournaments would frown on two arrow weights as well. But most tournaments won't ask trad guys to shoot past about 35 yards anyways. As for a fixed crawl, I believe it's a good system for tree stand hunting where you can pre range. Spot and stalk it's going to get you in trouble trying to remember what you're doing with your rangefinder and your string hook.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I believe most tournaments would frown on two arrow weights as well. But most tournaments won't ask trad guys to shoot past about 35 yards anyways. As for a fixed crawl, I believe it's a good system for tree stand hunting where you can pre range. Spot and stalk it's going to get you in trouble trying to remember what you're doing with your rangefinder and your string hook.
I think fixed crawl is good for a lot more than just treestand hunting. The mountain goat in my avitar was shot spot and stalk from 36 yds using a fixed crawl which I'd set to 35 yds prior to the hunt. I knew my shots were likely to be between 30-40 yds on that hunt so that's where I set it. On elk hunts, I typically set it for 30 yds, expecting my shots to be between 25-35 yds and once whitetail season starts I'll set it for 25 yds. Having my crawl set at any of those distances also makes my gap at shorter distances much more manageable.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

The fixed crawl is designed specifically to make finding your hook on the string easy. Maybe you're thinking about string walking.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Not 2 arrows in the same tourney.....just different arrows for different applications.

GreenNDark,
Question; I'm assuming you had to do additional tuning to get your hunting arrows tuned for those crawls, Correct? Can you please elaborate on what you do?

I've shot a fixed crawl with FP's and did get some noticeable wobble slightly outside the slot tune. I've never tried BH's.....

_____

Beendare I tune to my fixed crawl. I like having mine set at 15 yards. But then again I hunt close. And can setup ambushes.

I have no problem going to 3 under the nock and shooting out to 40. I'm sure there's some effect on the arrow but the fletching makes up for it and I don't notice losing any accuracy.

I judge accuracy on kill shots though not gold and white or whatever.

Btaylor

WKR
Not sure you can get the tune perfect for both. At least with the ILF you can adjust tiller to draw the 2 closer together. I think I would probably just adjust tiller to split the difference and call it good. Fletching should more than correct the slight amount it should be off.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Not 2 arrows in the same tourney.....just different arrows for different applications.

GreenNDark,
Question; I'm assuming you had to do additional tuning to get your hunting arrows tuned for those crawls, Correct? Can you please elaborate on what you do?

I've shot a fixed crawl with FP's and did get some noticeable wobble slightly outside the slot tune. I've never tried BH's.....

_____
I don't find it necessary to do any additional tuning when adjusting my crawl. I bare shaft tune my bows for PO at 30 yds with a fixed crawl. So I'm only making a 5yd adjustment up or down (35 yds or 25 yds). That small of a change is only moving my nocking point up or down the string maybe 1/8" and has very little effect on the bare shaft tune. I've never found it to move my impact point with a bare shaft (even out to 30 yds) and any slight nock kick is easily handled by my fletching.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Tater,
So if thats a 15 yd crawl with a 40 yd PO [you didn't really say] then you are crawling down the string about 3/4" or so right? That stiffens the shaft a tad but you can still get it to tune shooting bare shafts?

I can get a short crawl to tune no problem but over about 1/2" I was having trouble- not shooting FP's...but with a bare shaft and BH's on the longer crawls of an inch or so. Its been awhile since I tried it....I will have to give it a go.

My PO with no crawl is 35ish. So for 40 hits a couple inches lower. I'd have to measure but off the top of my head my fixed crawl is about .5 to .6 of an inch.

Sapcut

WKR
My objective is not to see how far I can shoot an animal or what my noninstinctive point on distance is or how light of a bow I can get away with to avoid muscle resistance or how many bows I can collect.

My objective with my bow and arrow build is to kill and recover any animal I pursue regardless of what bones I may hit that are designed to protect the vitals I am after.

I build and shoot arrows between 850-1000ish grains for my only bow, [email protected] Widow recurve. Currently my indestructible hunting arrow for deer and pigs is 910 grains and 34.2% FOC, I believe it is. It blows up everything I hit from stem to stern. I am beyond perfectly confident I am maximizing my chances of killing and recovering. That arrow is an arrow of Love because it never fails.

Last edited:

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
My objective is not to see how far I can shoot an animal or what my noninstinctive point on distance is or how light of a bow I can get away with to avoid muscle resistance or how many bows I can collect.

My objective with my bow and arrow build is to kill and recover any animal I pursue regardless of what bones I may hit that are designed to protect the vitals I am after.

I build and shoot arrows between 850-1000ish grains for my only bow, [email protected] Widow recurve. Currently my indestructible hunting arrow for deer and pigs is 910 grains and 34.2% FOC, I believe it is. It blows up everything I hit from stem to stern. I am beyond perfectly confident I am maximizing my chances of killing and recovering. That arrow is an arrow of Love because it never fails.
This guy gets it. Get ready for the anti foc brigade and the a 80 grain arrow with field point will kill a deer if you hit them in the heart.5dudbu.jpg

Last edited:

Sapcut

WKR
Get ready for the anti foc brigade and the a 80 grain arrow with field point will kill a deer if you hit them in the heart.
Oh yea. Years ago I bantered endlessly with the bowmantics on other sites. It’s obvious that we have totally different objectives.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider

Can I ask you what your current “indestructible hunting arrow” is? Arrow, broadhead, etc. Any footers?