The perspective of the anti-hunter.

Marble

WKR

Came across this article discussing grizzly, wolf and predator control in general. It's all a bunch of Lefty BS, but there are some statements made in it that can provide some context as to the perspective of the people who fight so hard to take away our way of life.

It's filled with a lot of opinion, not based on fact, but emotion. And actually, it's a rather simple minded argument he makes with no facts to back it up.

If you go through the article, just read the bottom part where it describes the author and the projects he's been involved in.

A couple quotes I pulled from the article...

"What really is happening is a breakdown in our society being led by profiteering outfitters for trophy wolves and disenfranchised people in rural communities who take their anger out on wildlife, especially keystone predator species, as though it is their right. "

"Taking the life of animals is central to their need for power and dominance. Simply letting animals live, especially charismatic species like elk, wolves, bears, mountain lions, is at odds with their need to portray themselves as unconquerable masters of the universe."

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Well that fella sure paints with a mighty wide brush. Hard to believe people actually think like that but important to understand that he's not alone and they are absolutely serious. He portrays any one that hunts or traps as a blood thirsty savage that has an unquenchable desire to kill anything and everything and to inflict as much pain and suffering as possible. Seems ridiculous to anyone that knows better and it's easy to write it off as just some lunatic that nobody would believe but, unfortunately, there are millions of uninformed, impressionable people out there that believe every word he says. We can't spend all of our time fighting this, but it has to be fought, continuously. That's why it's important to support the organizations that fight for us.
Take your pick, there are lots of them, and they all contribute to preserving our way of life and values. Send a check today, I'm going to.

Vandy321

WKR

Came across this article discussing grizzly, wolf and predator control in general. It's all a bunch of Lefty BS, but there are some statements made in it that can provide some context as to the perspective of the people who fight so hard to take away our way of life.

It's filled with a lot of opinion, not based on fact, but emotion. And actually, it's a rather simple minded argument he makes with no facts to back it up.

If you go through the article, just read the bottom part where it describes the author and the projects he's been involved in.

"What really is happening is a breakdown in our society being led by profiteering outfitters for trophy wolves and disenfranchised people in rural communities who take their anger out on wildlife, especially keystone predator species, as though it is their right. "

"Taking the life of animals is central to their need for power and dominance. Simply letting animals live, especially charismatic species like elk, wolves, bears, mountain lions, is at odds with their need to portray themselves as unconquerable masters of the universe."

$100 that whomever wrote that wears a mask in their subaru when driving alone.

Yarak

WKR
I’d be willing to bet they think that Griz will say Grace before chewing on their ass

Reactions: AZ8

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I grew up sharing trails with hippie backpackers in the California Sierras. Have had multiple in person conversations about this. The internet has really “radicalized” these types of folks being able to hide behind a phone and computer screen.

In person there have only been a couple truly “hostile” folks toward me in almost 30 years of conversations about this. So glad forums are my only form of “social media”.

Just don’t even click the article, it encourages them.

I peeked at his LinkedIn. Executive director of ’Footloose Montana,’ previous ED of ‘Bold Visions Conservation.’ Sounds like small orgs that no one has ever heard of.

He was born and raised in NYC. Screams of a trust funder who has a whole made up narrative of what the west is and what he thinks it should be. I’m not too concerned about his viewpoint except that we live in a day and age where facts don’t matter. You just have to get your wacky viewpoint out to a sympathetic group of people and the next thing you know, you have a movement of idiots.

The GYE is at carrying capacity of Grizz and something needs to be done.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
We as hunters are infinitely more in touch with the natural world than these internet loudmouths. The only knowledge they have is based off the documentary they watched or what they saw off the boardwalk in Yellowstone. These people need to realize they are just as responsible for displacing wildlife by their mere existence, no matter how hard they try to justify what they do.

Vern400

WKR
That's a pretty sick analysis. That being said I raise an eyebrow at folks who brag how far away they killed game. Given the choice I'd rather shoot another deer at 7 feet with a muzzleloader than another at 400 yards. One made me feel like a hunter, the other like a shooter. Every comment will be read and used by people who are not our friends. Let me be clear if I had to sneak and crawl to take a pronghorn at 400, I'd be all in!

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I don't mind people having their opinions and I rather enjoy hearing someone with an opposing opinion to mine. But I have no tolerance for people who make their arguments and base their opinions on stuff that is not even close to true. People who use lies to broadcast their opinions, based on whatever they believe, without having legit experience, knowledge or insight are worthless.

Unfortunately this seems as if it's the norm for a lot of opinion now.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
We as hunters are infinitely more in touch with the natural world than these internet loudmouths. The only knowledge they have is based off the documentary they watched or what they saw off the boardwalk in Yellowstone. These people need to realize they are just as responsible for displacing wildlife by their mere existence, no matter how hard they try to justify what they do.
This is true. They do not realize how much we see when we are out there.

There are a lot of people that hike and spend time in the woods. They do see and learn some animal behavior. But it's nothing compared to, for instance myself, who has spent the last 30 years, around two months a year, observing, targeting, learning, and meeting others doing the same thing.

We also historically have funded wildlife projects at super high rates compared to any other groups.

These stances by non hunters and non outdoors people are getting ridiculous . I can’t tell you how much stuff I see shared on Instagram that’s complete bs when it comes to wolves and bears. Wish we could trust in the system and the biologists work,whether it’s perfect or not it works for all the other species .

Confirms what we're up against doesn't it? Anyone surprised? I didn't open the link either. Didn't want my blood pressure to rise. I've been hunting for 50 years, and I've never even remotely known of or heard of anyone like who's described in the two examples posted.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Awhile ago there was a thread on here about what do you say when you chat with an anti-hunter. I normally don't say much. I remember Aron Snyder saying these animals don't die in a hospital bed surrounded by their loved ones. Which is true and paints a picture of the harsh reality these animals go through. The anti hunters are completely oblivious to this and when I do mention it, they are speechless generally.

Reactions: MJB

I too did not click the link.

A couple of thoughts on these though. This is the impression that many people could get from the posts and pictures you see on social media. This is one aspect where that article by Matt R. is spot on when he says stop posting. How many posts and pictures are out there with wolves killed and all the comments about "kill 'em all" or whatever? How many pictures and posts out there do you see in very poor taste with dead animals displayed poorly or overly celebrated? It is a small portion but how many does a fence sitter need to see before they decide they lean anti-hunter? Hunters get caught up in this idea that we are at war with anti's or whatever and we wont hide pictures because we wont change their minds. That is not, nor should it be, the goal. The goal needs to be to leave a good impression with the non-hunters and educate them. So many people do not understand this.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I'd take this one over the NIMBYs. Build a new subdivision, ban any hunting, and then complain about the deer and coyotes. I can talk to this guy, we can mutually hate trophy hunters, probably still agree at the end of the day. NIMBYs, it's all about their property values.