The problem with tree saddles

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Most folks can’t sit still in a chair let along a saddle attached to a rope. About 9am this morning while scanning the area around my stand( I run a line wolf climber) I see movement 150 yards away in the trees.

I watched for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was looking at because it was a real faint movement and it was 20 foot up in the trees obscured through the forest. I finally broke out my rangefinder to use the magnification to see and I see a dude swinging around in a saddle.

now I don’t care how light your run and gun setup is but if you can’t sit still in it what’s the point. If I could see this guy from 150 yards away through the forest he might as well of neon sign to the deer.

moral of the story: sit still, if you can’t in your stand or what you need a comfy’er setup.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I know saddles are not for me. Even the best climbers/ladder stands are torture
after 2-3 hrs.

woods89

WKR
I've used a New Tribe Aero Hunter for about 6 years now. They are not for everyone or every situation but they are very effective for some things.

I will say I have gotten away with a lot of movement out of a saddle sometimes. It's kind of interesting to push the limits a little bit and see what you can get away with and what gets you busted. All I can figure is that the combination of a more natural silhouette and the ability to use the tree trunk as cover work much better than the more unnatural angles of a treestand.

I was able to move my bow from one side of the tree to the other, draw my bow, and shoot a doe at 5 yds a few weeks ago with 4 other deer within 25 yds of my tree. Not one of them had any idea what happened until the arrow impacted. I did have a tree right behind me to help break up my outline. Not a lot of wind either, which makes everything easier. I was only about 15 ft up.

Taking a leak is no big deal. The noise is probably the biggest issue. As long as I don't have deer less than 50-60 yds away it's not a problem. Just lean over and let fly!

One thing that seems to hold true is that smaller guys are more comfortable in them than bigger guys. Admittedly it would be tough to pull an all day sit in one. I usually climb down to eat some lunch and give myself a little break if I'm sitting all day.

If you're not a person willing to think a bit outside the box, I'd say stick with stands as saddles sometimes require a bit of creative problem solving. I love mine, though, and haven't used a treestand since I got it. YMMV

I've been trying to figure out how guys nap or take a piss in those things.

Well a dozen years ago when I was using the treeline saddle, guys nicknamed it my diaper, might or might not have been good reason for it.

I could nap just fine in it, other things were a bit of an issue.

I've been trying to figure out how guys nap or take a piss in those things.
To pee you stand up open your fly and pee. To nap you either lean forward onto the tether of back with a back strap. I don't have one and its pretty easy to figure out. They should be significantly more comfortable than a regular stand with all of the positions you can move too while taking pressure off your legs and butt.

RC_

FNG
This is my first season using a saddle, but so far I've gotten away with more movement than I've ever been able to while using a climber or hang on.

I think this is due to (1) less noise compared to standing up or moving in the climber, where you're rubbing the tree or stand, (2) as "woods" said above, it's a more natural silhouette or at the very least is less unnatural compared to a guy sitting off the side of a tree (yes, you should use cover but not always possible).

I'll also add that while I might move more overall, it's in smaller increments. So while sitting in a stand I usually feel the need to stand and stretch every 1-1.5 hrs, in the saddle I can make smaller, more frequent adjustments to my position and it keeps me a lot more comfortable and eliminates the need for a lot of movement while standing up.

That said, I still try to move as little as possible and I'm sure there are some guys just hopping around trees out there.

Finch

WKR
I tried a saddle last year and found it wasn't for me. I found myself moving around too much trying to get more comfortable. I'm back to using my climber and hang ons.

I'll sit in a treestand over a saddle every time when a treestand works well in a tree. It is easier for me to be still in a treestand.

But.. I sat on a field edge last night where I would have been sticking out like a sore thumb in a treestand facing the field or parallel to the field. I was able to get a saddle set up to work great behind the tree and had deer inside 40 yards continuously for over an hour and a half without giving me a second look.

Lowg08

WKR
This is my first season in a saddle also and I actually sit, stand lean with less movement. Making sure I place my set up on the backside of the tree. If you think about it. Trees sway and limbs blow. I get right in the edge of the canopy too

DGF

FNG
I've found with a traditional style stand I move more because I'm uncomfortable. My back resting against a trunk just doesn't work out well for longer periods of time. With a saddle my movements are to keep the trunk between me and deer, or to alternate, slowly, between sitting or leaning. There's a learning curve to a saddle, but it definitely has its place in my gear, particularly because I primarily hunt public land.

-Dan

I used on for a few years along with hang ons. I move too much in general but way too much in a saddle. I use it scout hunting, in smaller trees usually on swamp edges. I mainly use it to hang behind my sons tree stands to sit and supervise him. He’s 12 and learning to hunt. Great tool but I prefer the stand

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Light Hang on vs Saddle:

Saddle Pros:
-it's the cool thing to do
-may pack up smaller depending on the design

Saddle Cons:
-little to no weight savings depending on design
-more limbs need to be cleared so the diaper cord can swing freely
-need to be farther away from the tree to shoot, creating a larger profile
-slower to setup (comparing proficient people in each)
-more movement required to shoot behind you or to your off side (gotta swing instead of slowly rotating)
-very difficult to add/remove insulated pants
- not as versatile (need at least 7 feet of straight tree, can't be wedged into crooked, thick or leaning tree)
- apples to apples it's more expensive
-when you drop your grunt tube, it's slower to go retrieve it.

I'm not trying to be a troll, but I've spent a lot of time in a tree and at one time thought a saddle was a great idea. That was until I used one for a season. What confuses me is that they are marketed as run and gun. Well, I'm here to tell you that unless you are setting up on a power pole, you are in for a struggle. I can stick a light hangon somewhere on almost any tree out there. With the fad diaper you are almost as limited as a climber.