Light Hang on vs Saddle:

Saddle Pros:
-it's the cool thing to do
-may pack up smaller depending on the design

Saddle Cons:
-little to no weight savings depending on design
-more limbs need to be cleared so the diaper cord can swing freely
-need to be farther away from the tree to shoot, creating a larger profile
-slower to setup (comparing proficient people in each)
-more movement required to shoot behind you or to your off side (gotta swing instead of slowly rotating)
-very difficult to add/remove insulated pants
- not as versatile (need at least 7 feet of straight tree, can't be wedged into crooked, thick or leaning tree)
- apples to apples it's more expensive
-when you drop your grunt tube, it's slower to go retrieve it.

I'm not trying to be a troll, but I've spent a lot of time in a tree and at one time thought a saddle was a great idea. That was until I used one for a season. What confuses me is that they are marketed as run and gun. Well, I'm here to tell you that unless you are setting up on a power pole, you are in for a struggle. I can stick a light hangon somewhere on almost any tree out there. With the fad diaper you are almost as limited as a climber.
Spot on
Just a fad that the YouTubers are doing with the lightweight options we have in tree stands I can’t believe people use them. But to each their own and that’s why we have both I guess

woods89

WKR
Spot on
Just a fad that the YouTubers are doing with the lightweight options we have in tree stands I can’t believe people use them. But to each their own and that’s why we have both I guess
It is interesting to watch the fad aspect of them. I started using a saddle before they were cool because a guy I worked with occasionally used one with a lot of success. I didn't realize they would become as popular as they have.

I'm just the opposite. I spent a few years wrestling hang-ons in and out of trees and don't need anymore of that. At this point I've used a saddle long enough that it's second nature to me, and that counts for a lot.

I agree, we have options for everyone these days, which is great.

Gobbler36

WKR
It is interesting to watch the fad aspect of them. I started using a saddle before they were cool because a guy I worked with occasionally used one with a lot of success. I didn't realize they would become as popular as they have.

I'm just the opposite. I spent a few years wrestling hang-ons in and out of trees and don't need anymore of that. At this point I've used a saddle long enough that it's second nature to me, and that counts for a lot.

I agree, we have options for everyone these days, which is great.
No doubt
With all the crazy things going on options as consumers is really cool

KRA-Z

FNG
Most folks can’t sit still in a chair let along a saddle attached to a rope. About 9am this morning while scanning the area around my stand( I run a line wolf climber) I see movement 150 yards away in the trees.

I watched for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was looking at because it was a real faint movement and it was 20 foot up in the trees obscured through the forest. I finally broke out my rangefinder to use the magnification to see and I see a dude swinging around in a saddle.

now I don’t care how light your run and gun setup is but if you can’t sit still in it what’s the point. If I could see this guy from 150 yards away through the forest he might as well of neon sign to the deer.

moral of the story: sit still, if you can’t in your stand or what you need a comfy’er setup.
I believe the pressure was high and you saw nothing...... People laugh at me when I’ve told them how I’ve harvested, after work ( auto tech) in work clothes..... I’m sure they smelt me before I got out of my truck.... but being very still and with the wind in my face..... I was just talking yesterday with some friends and was reinforcing K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid)

too many want to use the latest fad, even if they can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.... every trick, every gimmick.... and with the industry the way it is, I can see simple minds following like the sheep they are.... my Dad, a d his Dad used to shoot deer with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths.... I have so many unbelievable stories I could tell, and I was there!

it does suck though, you’re all as still as can be, comfortable, doing everything right, and some over zealous half wit is performing a circus for the entire animal kingdom....

I've been very open minded to these things but if I'm having to bring a platform I'd just as soon bring a hang on.

Thats funny you say that! I hunted a saddle for the first time yesterday afternoon and noticed how easy it was to move around. I knew the deer in front of me wouldn't have a clue, it was the one behind that got me worried. Very excited to get up and see what all the fuss is about. i give it a 7/10.

Comfort 6.5/10
Packability 9/10 (single sticking)
Mobility 7/10
Ease of use 7/10

IT HAS ITS PLACE

Bsib2

FNG
Most folks can’t sit still in a chair let along a saddle attached to a rope. About 9am this morning while scanning the area around my stand( I run a line wolf climber) I see movement 150 yards away in the trees.

I watched for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was looking at because it was a real faint movement and it was 20 foot up in the trees obscured through the forest. I finally broke out my rangefinder to use the magnification to see and I see a dude swinging around in a saddle.

now I don’t care how light your run and gun setup is but if you can’t sit still in it what’s the point. If I could see this guy from 150 yards away through the forest he might as well of neon sign to the deer.

moral of the story: sit still, if you can’t in your stand or what you need a comfy’er setup.

Seems like it would be hard to draw back on your left side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HGrodner

FNG
Seems like it would be hard to draw back on your left side

You say that because of the bridge getting in the way? Left side is strong side shooting for me (right handed hunter). I have found that I cant draw with my bow pointing at the deer if its sub 15-20 yards on my left side. My arm that is pulling the string has to pull so high to get over the bridge that 1) I cant do it 2) It kills my shoulder when I do. The solution for me is that I draw with my bow parallel to the ground and then aim at the deer. Its not a big deal because I mostly pick trees with cover and can get away with the slight bit of excess movement it causes

rj2

WKR
Saddles setups are lighter and pack smaller making it much nicer hauling in long distances and moving through the thick crap. Easier/faster to set up. More shooting angles.

Ive only hunted from lightweight hang ons since I started hunting, and just last year and this year done a few saddle sits on longer walks or when I'm walking alot doing "day" scouting on public land looking for a place to set up for the night. Some days will easily walk 3-4 miles during mid day looking for new places/hot sign and doing this with the saddle setup is 100x better than hauling my xop vanish evo around, and I have Kuiu suspension on that, so it actually carries like a dream.

I'll continue to use both, but I think most times if I don't plan on leaving a setup in the same spot for more than that day, I'll be shifting to the saddle going forward. My buck this year was saddle even though I was on private land that I have a few presets already. I had my xop there too, ready to go, but wanted to try a new spot and didnt want to haul my xop out there because frankly the saddle is way faster/easier to set up/tear down and I didn't feel like bringing the stand in case there was no good trees to hang in. I figured check it out in the saddle and if I like the spot I'll bring a stand out there next time to leave up for a few days.

With all that being said, I'm still gonna get a .5 to replace the xop before next year, so maybe this will all change

rsw669961

FNG
I love my saddle. I moved a lot when I first started. Now I'm a lot more aware .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
There's times when I have to physically make myself stop fidgeting in the saddle. Ill either be trying a Lock on setup or a LW climber

After doing a few seasons ina saddle I’ve found you need a bigger platform to spins and shoot. You also need a comfortable saddle. Not fidgeting is hard. Saddles can be more comfortable on your back then sitting most of the day. Hanging a platform is way easier than hanging even a small hang on stand. Also for public I haven’t found a legal strap in bow hanger where I can easily grab my bow while sitting

JeremiahH

WKR
I like and use both. Depending on where and when I want to set up. More tools in the bag is nice. This doe looked and me for a minute while in my saddle then went back to feeding below me after I didn't move, her head went behind a tree and I drew my bow at the ground to test draw noise without spooking her.

This last weekend I was scouting around and still hunting with my saddle and sticks checking out trees and trails, trying not to eat my tag on the last weekend. Little buck was following a does trail that brought him about 16yds from me. Drew when his eyes went behind a fir tree in front of me. I suppose saddle and stands share the same principle. Be cautious of your movement and animal presence.
bbd787eae31a6f32c2259bf9aab3c7e9.jpg
cf86480265d593696dcd23a4922fab1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I personally love my saddle. It's way more comfortable than a stand of any sort in my opinion. I "move" a lot but more in the sense of slightly changing my position just enough to relieve the pressure and staying still outside of slowly scanning with my head for movement. I don't sway from side to side.....unless I've shot a deer and it's excitement haha

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
This year I used my saddle with the LWCG .5 as a hybrid platform and loved it. Mostly faced the tree with the seat up and knees against the pad. Hunted some sitting on the seat as well. Loved the options with it and it's barely heavier than a platform and also becomes the pack frame. Very happy with the combo.

ohoopee

WKR
I normally prefer my LW Hand climber. However, new property or
going in blind, I always take my saddle. Just easier to find a tree.
I do enjoy the saddle but it does take me more time and energy to
get me into shooting position.