The psychology of forums

So some recent threads got me thinking about the effect of forums, like this one, and celebrities on peoples opinions, thoughts or general influence. I dont want to type out a book here so it may not get conveyed as well as it is in my head. I am in no way singling anyone out or judging anyone or any ideas.

The main threads that got me thinking about this, in no order, are the Gritty thread, the How Many Members thread, The China Clothing/Made in America threads and the Virus threads. Many other topics come to mind but nothing specific.

The main topic I have been thing about is the actual vs perceived influence or strength of a forum/celebrities or the ideas shared. The first thing that got me thinking about this was the Gritty thread. I was curios about Brian, or whatever his name is, so I looked at his YouTube channel. There are about 40k subscribers. The Rokslide members thread popped up after that and Ryan said there about the same number of registered users on Rokslide. Going back to the Gritty channel most videos only get a couple of thousand views. In that thread there appeared to be a lot of influence given to him but, is that really accurate? Or is it just that the people on this forum also happen to be the people that listen to him? Given his numbers and the members of Rokslide both being about 40k is that a good representation of the so called "hardcore" or "very active" hunter base in the west? Born and raised has about 130k subscribers, Newburg about 140k, The Hunting Public about 200k. Meateater has way more at over 400k. Some of those are maybe more diverse and appeal to more hunters/fishermen. However, in general they get way less views on any given video than subscriber numbers. In many cases less than 20-30%.

With over 10 million hunters and way more general sportsmen out there, these "influencers" are a drop in the bucket when measuring how many people they actually reach. In many posts though, we seam to give them a lot of power. Just an observation.

Im going to pick on the Thoughts on Clothes Made in China thread but mean no disrespect, just an observation in relation to the aforementioned topic. That thread is the most recent example of a thread that asks a question and then gets the desired conformation from the majority of posters. The thing is that the people involved make up such a minuscule section of the general hunting public. Again, I am not making any judgement, we all need things to talk about, but Its interesting how we confirm our bias and in some cases think that we have broad confirmation with such a small sample size.

Does our participation/consumption of forums/influencers/content providers and our perceived reach they have skew our view of what actual influence these mediums have? Is there a negative outcome if true? For example we assume a message, say support for public lands, is reaching millions when in reality its only reaching thousands.

Sorry, I wrote more than I planned. Anyway, just a topic of conversation while trying to stay home for the greater good. Lets confirm or disprove with an exceptionally small sample size on this forum.

Last edited:

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I think those channels and "celebrity" hunters are having more of an impact than you would think, there are subscribers who dont watch the videos right away and watch them months later, thousands of non subscribers who watch the videos as well, I watch almost all of the shows mentioned regularly but I am only subscribed to the hunting public, also at the big hunting shows ata, shot show etc there having influence on people who are in the youtube and social media realm, now to say how much people are taking these influencers words and actions and applying or accepting them to what they do can't be known for certain, but with all the different threads about them and mentions of them in other threads on here and other fourms, it seems like they hold a fair bit of value in the hunting world

pk_

WKR
Unfortunately (I say unfortunately because it’s a double edged sword) this stuff (social media in general)is the most influential information in the world. Not just speaking in the hunting world. People are just too easily influenced these days.

Look at where the majority of people get their ideas, motivation, insights etc. there is where you have the greatest influence. Period.

Is this going to turn into how 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the animals?

10 million hunters, but how many take it seriously?

I think it's pretty simple, people seek out like minded individuals, sometimes you can't do that in person. So you find a forum.

twall13

WKR
I'd also point out that YouTube subscribers is just one form of social media. Take Brian Call for example, he may have 40K YouTube subscribers, but he also has 70K Instagram followers, and who knows how many podcast subscribers (his main platform), his own website/newsletter, probably Facebook, etc. There is certainly some overlap but not everyone follows every social media platform so those numbers are likely even higher than you think in regards to how many people they reach.

The other thing about it, from a marketing perspective, is that even though the viewership numbers may not be as high as say a TV commercial, companies know they are reaching their target market when using "social media influencers" to pimp their products so those numbers are much more valuable to them overall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reasons I use this forum:

- I don’t use nor do I have any desire to use social media

- I get honest feedback from real world users for gear that I’m considering buying, not from someone getting paid to tell me how good it is. I certainly wouldn’t buy something because some “influencer” told me to.

- I get honest real world advice on hunt strategies for western big game. I’ve hunted since I was old enough to hold a gun for every animal possible living on the east coast but it’s much different out there. It’s a huge investment in money & time to go out west & I want to be as prepared as I can in order to be successful. It’s nice to be able to interact with people who have a lot of experience & learn about things such as utilizing thermals, calling tips, etc. I can’t get that from talking to my buddies who’ve never been out & done it.

- Yes I watch some of the guys mentioned on YouTube & I know it takes a lot of effort to do what they do. I appreciate the fact that they provide good information and also a way to take a well needed short break from all the BS of this crazy world.

- Getting good deals in the classifieds

rayporter

WKR
i dont watch much of that stuff, unless someone points out something of particular interest.

i also look at it with much skepticism.

Fatcamp

WKR
I think these types of people have a massive influence.

As an example, HUSH has convinced an entire generation of hunters that missing shots and wounding animals at long range is, "Just hunting, bro." and comments to the contrary on their YouTube videos get dogpiled.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I think the influence of a few of these celebrity hunters far outweighs the influence of 40k forum member. Today's marketing technique reflects this.

When Aron was on Gritty, I can't count the times I heard him say "I gave that guy a pack". I thought maybe I could get one for a more reasonable price if he wasn't giving so many away. But I understand he was doing what's in the best interest of Kifaru to get packs on the back of every well known hunting personality. I truly believe it benefits his company.

I'm just using this as an example. Not trying to make this a backpack thread. I respect Aron and value his expertise. Hopefully someday I'll own one of his packs.

Azone

WKR

This^^^
I have several friends that like to hunt. I only have one friend that lives for the hunt.

Money and status has a way of clouding a persons view and judgment on things. Social media hunting influencers are our worlds version of the Kardashians on a TV show, really not neccessary but people still follow.

OP
MuleyFever
Is this going to turn into how 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the animals?

I think it's pretty simple, people seek out like minded individuals, sometimes you can't do that in person. So you find a forum.

I am more wondering that if 10% of the hunters consume 90% of the social media (which appears to be pretty close) if that clouds the reality of hunting for those 10%.

Yeah, the vast majority of hunters dont take it seriously and that is kinda what I am saying. Most dont pay any attention to any of the social media. On the other side you have the minority that are watching the social media. Yet we appear to give so much influence to that minority. Its just interesting.

OP
MuleyFever
I'd also point out that YouTube subscribers is just one form of social media. Take Brian Call for example, he may have 40K YouTube subscribers, but he also has 70K Instagram followers, and who knows how many podcast subscribers (his main platform), his own website/newsletter, probably Facebook, etc. There is certainly some overlap but not everyone follows every social media platform so those numbers are likely even higher than you think in regards to how many people they reach.

The other thing about it, from a marketing perspective, is that even though the viewership numbers may not be as high as say a TV commercial, companies know they are reaching their target market when using "social media influencers" to pimp their products so those numbers are much more valuable to them overall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The IG and Facebook platforms are a good point. They probably reach way more people there than on YouTube. Its a lot easier to follow them on those platforms with cell phones. Its pretty low effort.

stonewall

WKR
I'm not sure if I'm answering the question...

I don't think the "influencers" reach is all that wide, but it's enough that outdoor companies see value in targeted marketing as stated above. I'm on rokslide to learn from others and i watch elk hunting on youtube because i only get to go once a year. I think about it daily, but only get to go 1 week out of 52. I must get my fix somehow

I see this thread has died, but it’s an interesting thread I’m surprised that it died. I’m probably a pretty good example of the general hunting public. I’ve been hunting since 1988, but just on this forum since 2020 ish…. When somebody drops the name of some influential hunting podcaster, I have no idea who or what they’re talking about. What I’m saying is I’m not influenced at all by influencers of any sort. I think there’s a lot of people like me out there. I’m so old school that I think Dave Petzal is the shit.

Rich M

WKR
There are folks who influence. Meat eater is an example. Randy Newberg another. They can royally screw up your hunting area.

Most of the you tube guys are wanna bes.

On here there are dome guys who get a lot of views snd folks serk to asdociate w them. Theyd be condidered influencers too, just on a smaller scale.