The Road to Brooks Range Dall Sheep!

oenanthe

WKR
I didn't include Joe Letarte- Alaska Wilderness Enterprises. ...
I've never met Joe, but years ago I left a note on his cabin door. I'd gotten a sheep, packed it down to the river, and was starting my float back to the road. I'd seen smoke from the cabin so I knew someone was around, even though they were out for the day. This was back in the day before most of us had satellite communications, so I left a note just so somebody would know where I was heading. Anyway, Joe had a sat phone and was kind enough to call my wife and let her know I was OK and heading home, which she appreciated very much.

DHoover

FNG
Hey Jordan, Nick and Marine4life, I am going with Tyrells Trails on the second hunt this fall for my first ever sheep hunt with Guide Caleb Zwahlen. I did shoot a Mtn goat and moose in BC a few years back but its been a while since I did a true backpack hunt. I arrive in camp on the 19 of August. I've been reading everything about sheep I can find on this forum and have learned a ton. I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast with Nick discussing gear and Marine4life your Ram looks awesome. I've also listened to many episodes of Tundra Talk and they are highly entertaining.

Jordan I hope you have great luck on the first hunt and if you have extra time to do a little scouting for me I'd appreciate it.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan, Nick and Marine4life, I am going with Tyrells Trails on the second hunt this fall for my first ever sheep hunt with Guide Caleb Zwahlen. I did shoot a Mtn goat and moose in BC a few years back but its been a while since I did a true backpack hunt. I arrive in camp on the 19 of August. I've been reading everything about sheep I can find on this forum and have learned a ton. I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast with Nick discussing gear and Marine4life your Ram looks awesome. I've also listened to many episodes of Tundra Talk and they are highly entertaining.

Jordan I hope you have great luck on the first hunt and if you have extra time to do a little scouting for me I'd appreciate it.
Bad ass! Absolutely, hope to run into on the way out.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright everyone. Gear list is set, I’ve been shooting a bunch, my fitness is pretty good, just waiting on Saturday morning to fly out. Thanks to everyone that has left messages and PM’d! This will be a filmed venture so I can’t wait to share it with all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddie63

WKR
Best of luck Jordan. Have a great time and can’t wait to see the video when you return.

If you haven’t done so I highly recommend you read the book “Alaska’s Wolf Man” by Jim Rearden. I read it a few days before departing and it is about the life of Frank Glaser. The book is a great reminder of how tough some people can be. It is also a great conversation starter with Luke and Wesley’s parents - both of who are amazing people with many great stories of their own. From my personal perspective having raised three children in the states and moving every three years to include a tour in Japan with my family, I thought my kids had pretty good life experiences but this family shows how success can come in many forms from doing what you love, education outside the system, and the lessons living in remote areas can bring.

Hard to believe one year ago today my great was pack and I was one day away from departure. Enjoy every moment and the best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t know if any of you going have seen this video yet but thought I would share to help get the blood pumping. Shot was 220 yards with my 300 WSM and steep downhill. You can hear how excited I was, just like a little kid. We stayed still and as quiet as possible so we wouldn’t push the other six rams too far.

DHoover

FNG
Incredible. I am also shooting a 300 WSM. I talked to Caleb yesterday and didn't think I could get more excited but your video took it up another level. Thanks for posting. I'll probably watch it 50 times between now and the 18th when i fly out. Heck of a Ram too.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
9fda722db6d7499eb86495373885ee1d.jpg

a55b5d64a4cd6a11a0831ec5af8123cb.jpg

I don’t know if any of you going have seen this video yet but thought I would share to help get the blood pumping. Shot was 220 yards with my 300 WSM and steep downhill. You can hear how excited I was, just like a little kid. We stayed still and as quiet as possible so we wouldn’t push the other six rams too far.

Nice shootin. "dont fall off the cliff buddy!". love it.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello all, I’m back! After repeatedly getting our asses kicked by the weather, we pulled a couple all nighters and I got my sheep on the last day! More photos and the story coming soon along with a gear breakdown, but for now..

748f878b74e17ca1318622ccf12a1b86.jpg

What bullet did you use?

Hello all, I’m back! After repeatedly getting our asses kicked by the weather, we pulled a couple all nighters and I got my sheep on the last day! More photos and the story coming soon along with a gear breakdown, but for now..

748f878b74e17ca1318622ccf12a1b86.jpg

I was in lake clark national park the same time as your sheep hunt. it rained for 9 days on me.