The Road to Brooks Range Dall Sheep!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome, please post the video of your hunt when you can. Congratulations

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello all, I’m back! After repeatedly getting our asses kicked by the weather, we pulled a couple all nighters and I got my sheep on the last day! More photos and the story coming soon along with a gear breakdown, but for now..

748f878b74e17ca1318622ccf12a1b86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will remember and cherish that one forever. The harder the work the sweeter the reward!

DHoover

FNG
I am back from my sheep hunt with Tyrrells Trails with guide Caleb Zwahlen. I did see Jordan on her way out and her hunt sounded Brutal. Mine was a little better but we were only able to hunt 4 days out of 11 due to rain, snow and fog.

The first day I was able to go after a big grizzly right from the lodge but he somehow gave us the slip in the alders and blueberries. Then later on our hike to sheep camp I got a bonus Caribou which was huge for me. I guess the caribou are early this year and their were hundreds of them around. I never dreamed I would get a caribou so I was very excited about it.

After a 5 mile hike to sheep camp, Day 2 we got down or I should say up to sheep hunting and things got tough. I trained as hard as I could and carried 50 pounds in my pack for over 150 miles and rode my bike 4300 miles ( the distance from my house to Chandalar lake) to get ready but at 56 years old nothing got me ready to carry 60 pounds over all those rock slides and vertical miles. Days 2 and 3 were extremely tough with no legal rams seen and 6 canyons glassed. On day 4 Caleb spotted 5 rams 5 miles away or 8 miles over the rocks by the way we would have to hike with a large part of it side hilling. I simply could not do it. We instead hiked 5 miles down to where we could get a plane ride to a lake below the rams. Luke Tyrrell was able to land us on a lake 2 miles and 3,000 feet below the rams but at least it wasn't side hill.

We made it to the saddle the next day about noon and proceeded to sit in our tents for 2 1/2 days in the rain and snow and fog. At least my knee got some good rest. I read almost all of "Undaunted Courage" and sent way too many inreach texts.

Day 8 dawned clear and cold and Caleb remarked that we were going to kill a Ram today. He set me up glassing a big bowl and he went to glass the rock slide where we saw the rams 3 days previous. He wasn't gone 5 minutes when he had found 2 legal rams about a mile away. Both looked good to me but it started to snow and we had to cross a huge rock slide. It was our best chance and the snow would provide cover. It took us and hour and half to cross the rock slide while trying not to look down. It was steep. We got to our spot and expected the rams to be 200 yards below us bedded down. They were 416 yards away and a little above us feeding up hill. That's a long shot for me but I had practiced out to 500 and had the custom dial on my Leupold 3x18. I was shooting a 300 WSM in Browning X bolt western hunter with a bipod. We had plenty of time. I hit the ram 3 of 4 shots and the rest is history. We packed the ram down below the rocks and hiked back to camp. We got in at 11 pm and Caleb let me have 2 mountain house meals.

The weather stayed great for the pack out day which was a real blessing. After we got the ram out Luke took us by boat to a nice camp with an arctic oven tent and heater for 2 more days of bear hunting. We never saw another grizzly but I passed on 2 black bears.

It was great to get to know Luke Tyrrell and his parents Rick and Laurel. They have lived an incredible life of hunting, flying and running trap lines. Luke is a great outfitter and will do anything to help you be successful. It a family run operation and they make you feel like part of their family. I could not be more happy with my hunt and hope to go back in 2 years for moose and grizzly.

Attachments

• IMG_0567 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0567 - Copy.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0661 (002).JPG
    IMG_0661 (002).JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1012 (003) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1012 (003) - Copy.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0588 (002).jpg
    IMG_0588 (002).jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0632.PNG
    IMG_0632.PNG
    948.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0671 (002).jpg
    IMG_0671 (002).jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 253
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am back from my sheep hunt with Tyrrells Trails with guide Caleb Zwahlen. I did see Jordan on her way out and her hunt sounded Brutal. Mine was a little better but we were only able to hunt 4 days out of 11 due to rain, snow and fog.

The first day I was able to go after a big grizzly right from the lodge but he somehow gave us the slip in the alders and blueberries. Then later on our hike to sheep camp I got a bonus Caribou which was huge for me. I guess the caribou are early this year and their were hundreds of them around. I never dreamed I would get a caribou so I was very excited about it.

After a 5 mile hike to sheep camp, Day 2 we got down or I should say up to sheep hunting and things got tough. I trained as hard as I could and carried 50 pounds in my pack for over 150 miles and rode my bike 4300 miles ( the distance from my house to Chandalar lake) to get ready but at 56 years old nothing got me ready to carry 60 pounds over all those rock slides and vertical miles. Days 2 and 3 were extremely tough with no legal rams seen and 6 canyons glassed. On day 4 Caleb spotted 5 rams 5 miles away or 8 miles over the rocks by the way we would have to hike with a large part of it side hilling. I simply could not do it. We instead hiked 5 miles down to where we could get a plane ride to a lake below the rams. Luke Tyrrell was able to land us on a lake 2 miles and 3,000 feet below the rams but at least it wasn't side hill.

We made it to the saddle the next day about noon and proceeded to sit in our tents for 2 1/2 days in the rain and snow and fog. At least my knee got some good rest. I read almost all of "Undaunted Courage" and sent way too many inreach texts.

Day 8 dawned clear and cold and Caleb remarked that we were going to kill a Ram today. He set me up glassing a big bowl and he went to glass the rock slide where we saw the rams 3 days previous. He wasn't gone 5 minutes when he had found 2 legal rams about a mile away. Both looked good to me but it started to snow and we had to cross a huge rock slide. It was our best chance and the snow would provide cover. It took us and hour and half to cross the rock slide while trying not to look down. It was steep. We got to our spot and expected the rams to be 200 yards below us bedded down. They were 416 yards away and a little above us feeding up hill. That's a long shot for me but I had practiced out to 500 and had the custom dial on my Leupold 3x18. I was shooting a 300 WSM in Browning X bolt western hunter with a bipod. We had plenty of time. I hit the ram 3 of 4 shots and the rest is history. We packed the ram down below the rocks and hiked back to camp. We got in at 11 pm and Caleb let me have 2 mountain house meals.

The weather stayed great for the pack out day which was a real blessing. After we got the ram out Luke took us by boat to a nice camp with an arctic oven tent and heater for 2 more days of bear hunting. We never saw another grizzly but I passed on 2 black bears.

It was great to get to know Luke Tyrrell and his parents Rick and Laurel. They have lived an incredible life of hunting, flying and running trap lines. Luke is a great outfitter and will do anything to help you be successful. It a family run operation and they make you feel like part of their family. I could not be more happy with my hunt and hope to go back in 2 years for moose and grizzly.

That is awesome I’m glad you guys were able to come out with a ram. That weather was a hell of a thing to deal with that early. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your hunt and the Ram. Luke and his family are great and his ability to move you around really helps his success rates. I hunted with him in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below are the two podcasts that outline my hunt. The first is the day by day with my cameraman and the pt 2 is all about the gear I used and how it did.