The Road to Brooks Range Dall Sheep!

JLMUELZ

FNG
Nice video Jordan! I am not sure if it got me more excited or more nervous for my hunt with Luke this August. I am sure I will watch it a few more times before I leave!

dturbin22

FNG
Hey all,
Somehow we have pulled together a Dall Sheep hunt for 2021. Myself and a buddy working with Sig Sauer will be in the Brooks Range with Tyrrell's Trails in August. Going to be a little bit different feeling with a rifle in my hand instead of a camera, and I'm ecstatic for the opportunity. Dall Sheep have always been on top of my list of dream hunts for myself. Throughout my filming career I've been on hunts for the other three species of sheep but haven't had the opportunity at a Dall yet.

I'm going to keep this thread updated as we inch closer to the hunt dates. The gear selection process, physical training and logistics.
Brooks Range sheep hunt might be one of the best hunts out there.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
Well Jordan. I wish the best of luck.

Sheep Shape-You should be able to do cardio for an hour now. You are probably hiking with your pack. You should do five sets of pushups with your pack when you are out. Also build up knees and joints.

Feet Shape-You have to start toughening your feet. Feet shape is almost as important as pure physical condition. If your feet aren't toughed the mountains will murder them. You mentioned a bivy. That is a great idea.

Shooting Routine- Hopefully you are shooting at least two to three times per week with your sheep rifle and with the companion rifle at multiple ranges off of a pack. Shooting proficiency is as or more important than pure physical condition.

Beta Time- This is the time to get ahold of all of the old guides that have hunted along the Chandalar Shelf. You are going with the Tyrells but imagine if you reached out and hooked up with Joe Want. His name might not mean anything to you but up here in Alaska he is a man's man. He would walk from the Dalton Highway to his hunt area which was 180 miles across country with his mules two weeks before the season in Lacrosse Ankle Fit Hip Waders which he would use to sheep hunt. Then after the season he would walk out. He was the last guide trained by Pinnell and Talifson on Kodiak Island where he used a 500 NE Holland and Holland Dominion grade double rifle as his backup Bear Rifle. You can also get a hold of David Morris, Henry Tiffany, Jerry Jacques, Sandy Jamison, Howard French and even reach out to Larry Bartlett. These guys are all alive and they have information about the country that you are going to hunt. David Morris especially knows a lot about the potential for the country that you are hunting. The stories count. I will leave this short but your guide recommendations count but having input from other guides who were historic is truly the way to get a deeper appreciation for the country. You might think that your guide knows these old guides who are still kicking but my guess is that they might not. Short conversations about how they hunted rams and pulled rams out really can fill volumes. I will let you go but you do have the feminine advantage that these old cranky fellers will probably talk your ear off and give you a lot of pearls of wisdom that you can use to great affect. Now is the time to call. I know that you have a business but try to reach out to these guys. Many are still active in the APHA guides or newsletter but others you have to dig to find. This effort will be worth it.View attachment 298134

Those are the Lacrosse ankle fit boots that he would use sheep hunting with hippers for crossing country. That is his Double rifle that he got from a German Count as a tip. View attachment 298135

That is Joe today. He is as tough as nails. There are so many great Joe Want stories that he literally could be a guest on Rokslide for about a month.
I was hunting in a Joe Want area in the Brooks and killed a sheep 4yrs ago. Numerous stories were told of his exploits by my guide during the trip. When I got back to Fairbanks to seal the horns, who do you might guess was doing the sealing????? Yes, good ole Joe Want. I felt like I was meeting a dignitary. He was busy with his task, but he looked at me and grinned, "that's a good one". It was the best part of that trip.

azdowns

FNG
My father-in-law has his grand slam and I think one of the coolest rams he has is his Dall sheep. Super Cool!

Cbf6768

FNG
Hey Jordan, Nick and Marine4life, I am going with Tyrells Trails on the second hunt this fall for my first ever sheep hunt with Guide Caleb Zwahlen. I did shoot a Mtn goat and moose in BC a few years back but its been a while since I did a true backpack hunt. I arrive in camp on the 19 of August. I've been reading everything about sheep I can find on this forum and have learned a ton. I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast with Nick discussing gear and Marine4life your Ram looks awesome. I've also listened to many episodes of Tundra Talk and they are highly entertaining.

Jordan I hope you have great luck on the first hunt and if you have extra time to do a little scouting for me I'd appreciate it.
I’m going w Luke this year- arrive Aug 19- and advice or feedback you can offer? How was your hunt?

DHoover

FNG
My hunt went great. I got a nice Ram and Caribou and almost a big grizzly. My hunt report and pictures are on here somewhere in another thread. Several folks on here have gone with Luke including JLMUELZ, Marine4life and of course Jordan. You should have a fantastic trip. Just be sure to get a Grizzly and Caribou tag.

AKplumber

FNG
Loved this video on yt. That sig cross is pretty slick . Might have to pick one up.