The Rokslide Social Distancing for Hope Thread

Rivers were finally fishable this morning and I had decent action, took 6 to get 2 to kill, which isn’t a bad thing. Weather is supposed to break this afternoon and today is spring bear opener. Kinda asking a lot to kill a limit of fish and a bear in the same day, but I’m gonna try anyways ;)

5C394DB5-3D8C-4340-BF67-0AB350B15E0A.jpegF239F72E-B6B9-4256-9662-210E376AD6CA.jpeg

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been holed up with my girlfriend. I’m able to work remotely, and now I’m saving money having no commute and not eating out as much as I used to. My industry has taken a dive, so I’m not sure how much long term job security I have, but for now I’m still on the payroll so it’s not all gloom and doom.

Last weekend my friends and I met up for one last ski tour before the Alaska stay at home order went into effect. We’re still allowed to go recreate outdoors, but there is a mandate not to travel between communities and all the Avalanche forecasting agencies in the state have suspended operations. Probably our last social trip until all this is over, but it was a good one.

4A36E33E-8184-4EAE-82FB-89DC7F89B989.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Love the optimism! My kind of people.
Here’s what we’ve been up to:

House projects. Devouring Pod casts.
Shooting guns and bows.
Running down by the river.
Homeschooling. We homeschooled for almost 10 yrs so nothing new there.
Buying tags and planning hunts. Kids are taking the bear identification test.
Getting ready to help my son and my buddy get set up with the ID online Bow Ed class. No field day required. MT will accept that. Win-win.
Lots of Zoom meetings. Eating too much.
Dreaming about mule deer and bonfires.

Other than a slight decrease in income, we’re good. It’s nice to have the high schoolers around more than usual. We miss seeing our church family, but all in all... pretty chill 🤜🏻💥🤛🏼

The mountain in the background or your house picture looks familiar.

1585779461580.png

-- Scott

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rivers were finally fishable this morning and I had decent action, took 6 to get 2 to kill, which isn’t a bad thing. Weather is supposed to break this afternoon and today is spring bear opener. Kinda asking a lot to kill a limit of fish and a bear in the same day, but I’m gonna try anyways ;)

View attachment 166503View attachment 166504
awesome! Forgive my ignorance but are those salmon?

awesome! Forgive my ignorance but are those salmon?
they are steelhead, winter steelhead.... some summers will be showing up soon, and summers are some of the best eating protein on earth.

capped off my day perfectly this afternoon and glassed up a nice bear. I have never seen one opening day, that's a good sign(y)

could have pulled off a "surf and turf" today, but it would have taken a monster to get me to fill my tag today.... got 2 months, no hurry to fill that tag.... I have been looking forward to bear season, and I hope I don't kill one soon.... I think I would rather eat my tag than kill one opening day.

a couple years ago I killed a limit of steelhead in the morning, and called a lion in and killed it in the afternoon.. be a good way to fill a bear tag too.... just later in the season;)

i do love spring, getting green and turning into a jungle here on the coast, and the woods are alive, pretty scenes everywhere.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
they are steelhead, winter steelhead.... some summers will be showing up soon, and summers are some of the best eating protein on earth.

capped off my day perfectly this afternoon and glassed up a nice bear. I have never seen one opening day, that's a good sign(y)

could have pulled off a "surf and turf" today, but it would have taken a monster to get me to fill my tag today.... got 2 months, no hurry to fill that tag.... I have been looking forward to bear season, and I hope I don't kill one soon.... I think I would rather eat my tag than kill one opening day.

a couple years ago I killed a limit of steelhead in the morning, and called a lion in and killed it in the afternoon.. be a good way to fill a bear tag too.... just later in the season;)

i do love spring, getting green and turning into a jungle here on the coast, and the woods are alive, pretty scenes everywhere.
I hope you get that bear. I had a friend in Moscow, Idaho who got a turkey and a steelhead in one day, and was gonna try for a bear too.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
In my last year of college and due to being online I’m able to have all my school work done by noon or so everyday. With the free time I’ve been able to spend more time in the woods than I ever have while still doing well in school. Over the past week, I’ve been able to locate three different elk herds, massive amounts of mule deer, a group of turkeys, put a couple trout in the net, and a shed. I’m sure there’s a few other like me, but I’m a complete nut when it comes to elk and I’m completely obsessed. This time has gave me the opportunity to spend more time watching elk and see how they behave than I ever have before. Hope it helps for this coming hunting season. Here’s some pics from my last week along with a decent shed my roommate was able to pickup.

1F95AB93-A33D-4207-A3F5-0A55E1D8CAF9.jpegEFE742BF-7381-465C-8F5C-71F3A1312B5B.jpegA8728B00-80A3-46A1-87F6-57046D12CCDD.jpegC48E0266-8D13-4EAC-8DD6-D060ABF3691C.jpeg

I hope you get that bear. I had a friend in Moscow, Idaho who got a turkey and a steelhead in one day, and was gonna try for a bear too.
thanks man! i'll be trying. going back out in a bit to try to find and evaluate that bear a little better, which probably isn't the best idea, but I want a closer look, I have a buddy coming with me today, and he's bringing his 15X swaros, which I think will help getter a better feel for the actual size. don't want to get too close without deciding i want to shoot it, because one little down draft of wind and that bear will vacate the area. my 10x's just aren't ideal for getting a really good idea, just need to see the head with a little more detail for relativity

Last edited:

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I've been busier since everything shut down in Washington state than I was before hand! Working 8 hours a day from home, then taking over the kid since my wife is home schooling right now. He and I are blazing trails through the woods on our land and having a blast doing so. We finally got our home gym set up and are exercising as a family, we got the garden planted and more to go there, and my wife completed her hunter safety online and is ready to hunt this fall for the first time in a long time. Finally getting the opportunity to start chipping away at the honey-do list that always seems to continue to build and just spending quality time together. We are truly blessed; having always been prepared with food/supplies and living on 10 acres so tat we can stretch our legs.

looks excellent! was it easy to do? what stock is that?

again, nice work

Thanks. Yea wasn’t bad. Used a 3/4” bit in a drill press to start. Then just free handed the Dremel. Some JB Weld epoxy to glue it in.

It’s an Axial Precision. Think they call it a carbon hunter. It’s the only one in their store. Overall I like it so far. I haven’t had a chance to really use it yet though.

Once the wind and snow quit in the next day or so I’ll be able to test it out a lot better.

Took the little gaffer out for his first fishing trip a couple days ago. Got 3 casts until we snagged the world and he lost interest.
"No daddy, you hold it, I'll do the spinny thing!"
View attachment 166928

I think we'll go bear hunting tomorrow...cruise some logging roads, maybe go for a walk and see if we can find an elk shed.
haha, they lose interest fast when they are that age unless it's steady action.... they still like it, and will more and more as they get older. my daughter even gets in the boat with me (she's 10) and when she was 5, the trips were short, she was wanting to move on with life after a short bit.... now she'll ask to go with me, knowing she'll be stuck for awhile... she will get up at 3:45am and get ready and be glad to do it.... they do lots of changing between 4-10. my daughter caught her first king with me at 8yrs.... talk about a cool memory!

good luck on the bear front! i took a buddy on the death march today, was up at our vantage by 2:30, and the bear came back out just after 6pm.... it's a pretty nice bear, big enough for me, just not yet.... i do want some bear meat in the freezer, but i want to bear hunt more... good to have options!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Dylan and I finished up the siding on the shed today. After that I sheathed all the interior walls with OSB so it will be easy to hang things and build shelves.

a4227dce781338c324e30c2813eb2f87.jpg
46ac36a93e6b7044d15470094b7b1e56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk