The Rokslide Social Distancing for Hope Thread

BowTrout

FNG
My wife and I had our first kid two and half weeks ago, so my wife (high school biology teacher) has been social distancing simply by staying home with the kid, and I've been setting new records for cleanliness (or paranoia?) in making sure I don't bring anything home from work. We've been popping the little one into the stroller and walking a mile or two each afternoon just so we can get outside and stay active and that has been a lot of fun.

Due to the expected arrival of the little one, I had written off turkey season this year and thus had not borrowed my uncle's turkey hunting gear (this only my second year attempting harm upon thunder-chickens). However, with all that is going on, I have nothing but free weekends ahead of me and lots of vacation days due to canceled conferences. A friend was kind enough to lend me his shotgun and my wife was enthusiastic about me going after some birds so I'm hoping to make it out into the nearby national forest before too long.

Oh, and I cleaned my gutters this past Saturday. I was inordinately excited about that.
Congratulations on the little one!

just got back from the desert last night, it was a nice trip. I love the disconnect over there.... it's not associated with normal world problems. very few people even around (neighbor 1.5 miles down the road) and the people around are really pleasant.

weather wasn't great, rained and snowed a good amount, but it's good for living out there, moisture is a prized commodity. did get some rat shooting in, but mostly just enjoyed the desert, helped feed, move some animals around and relaxed.

gonna head back over again soon..... I have worked on the ocean my whole adult life, and don't see changing that, but the desert is one of the few places I could live.... the speed of life is really cool over there.... not dealing with crowds of people of traffic, it's a cool place.

still plenty to do over there too.

Didn’t have much time yesterday but did cover some miles looking for likely bear habitat... found a really good looking place.

this afternoon I planned on checking it out and my wife wanted to come with.

we got up there and I was pointing out the likely areas to glass, and after about an hour, I pan across what I was looking for... bear!

I pointed it out to my wife (she has stolen my 8x swaros haha) and then got back on it, it was a tank.

now I had a decision, big bear at just under 600yds across a creek, and in typical coast fashion, I knew it was gonna be ugly getting over there, so I decided to just watch it. Nice weather, hanging out with my wife, and we glassed up a dandy boar.. fun afternoon of social distancing.

going back in the morning to hopefully turn him up again and make a move, he’s a dandy

Squamch

WKR
Went for an afternoon walk yesterday with the little guy....found the remains of an arrowed and not recovered buck. No arrow in him, but a nice little hole in his shoulder blade. Every year around town there are a few nice bucks running around with field tipped arrows in them, guessing that's the case here.

20200408_155218.jpg

Cant see it in this picture, but he had double eye guards on one side and a funky little bladed drop tine on the other side.

Went for an afternoon walk yesterday with the little guy....found the remains of an arrowed and not recovered buck. No arrow in him, but a nice little hole in his shoulder blade. Every year around town there are a few nice bucks running around with field tipped arrows in them, guessing that's the case here.

View attachment 168880

Cant see it in this picture, but he had double eye guards on one side and a funky little bladed drop tine on the other side.
cool find, but bummer scenario if your assessment is true. that stuff really bugs me, and if they get caught they are called hunters and are lumped into the whole group.

what could possibly motivate someone to shoot a town buck with a field point? crazy to consider someone actually doing that

Squamch

WKR
cool find, but bummer scenario if your assessment is true. that stuff really bugs me, and if they get caught they are called hunters and are lumped into the whole group.

what could possibly motivate someone to shoot a town buck with a field point? crazy to consider someone actually doing that

Lack of knowledge and a crossbow seems to be the usual culprit. Arrows is arrows, right? Whaddya mean special tips for hunting? I musta missed, it just ran away. Etc...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
well, that's a good test for your back! how's it holding up? assume it must be starting to improve a bit?

Yes it was. I still feel it every second of every day, but so far it hasn't gone back to being debilitating just yet. The problem is.......even a regular pants belt bothers it. So can't imagine what the pack or a packout will do for it. Oh well, press on until I can't.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
6f670d36e31c9ad4f00ac0adad935792.jpg
2bcca6795e9a6c7de0cc743ee2b5849f.jpg
b15354f94adb6ae1b7dccf9632a7d51f.jpg
5f93209fa940fa633a52c60c719fc4fc.jpg

Social distancing. #CoronaBird2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I had our first kid two and half weeks ago, so my wife (high school biology teacher) has been social distancing simply by staying home with the kid, and I've been setting new records for cleanliness (or paranoia?) in making sure I don't bring anything home from work. We've been popping the little one into the stroller and walking a mile or two each afternoon just so we can get outside and stay active and that has been a lot of fun.

Due to the expected arrival of the little one, I had written off turkey season this year and thus had not borrowed my uncle's turkey hunting gear (this only my second year attempting harm upon thunder-chickens). However, with all that is going on, I have nothing but free weekends ahead of me and lots of vacation days due to canceled conferences. A friend was kind enough to lend me his shotgun and my wife was enthusiastic about me going after some birds so I'm hoping to make it out into the nearby national forest before too long.

Oh, and I cleaned my gutters this past Saturday. I was inordinately excited about that.
congrats on the new addition! that is something that will bring lots of joy in times like these..... babies really have a way of making you appreciate what you have and put some perspective on life.

Woops, I totally missed this thread till now. I busted out the fly rod and canoe and have been harassing the local carp population. It's no high mountain stream, but the fish are big. I'll have to post some photos here.

Drenalin

WKR
Well me, my wife, and our two young children have already had the virus and have all gotten over it. We were given the OK to come out isolation two weeks ago and I've tried to make the most of it while still being responsible and respecting the guidelines we've all been given. I've been trout fishing a handful of times, have fired up the new smoker a few times for trout and venison, and have been out scouting for whitetail once. Going to try a backyard camping "trip" this coming weekend with my two little ones to liven things up around the house and give everyone a break from being inside. It will also give me a chance to test my new tent, pad, and quilt in a low stakes environment, which might have been my real motive for suggesting backyard camping to start with...

I should have taken up turkey hunting this year! Glad a lot of you are still able to get out and enjoy camping, hiking, shed hunting, turkey hunting, and fishing.

Elk97

WKR
You guys are killing me with the pictures of hunting and fishing! WA has shut everything down, no fishing or hunting or going to the parks, DNR or state land, etc. AND the WDFW just announced that there will be no, none, zero Chinook salmon fishing at all next winter. I also got an email from MT Friday night that somehow they didn't get all of my information (they went to all internet app process this year) for my big game combo so I might not be hunting there this fall. Could be worse, I guess, at least we aren't sick with the virus and everyone we know is healthy.