Votes: 6 9.0%
  • something i havent mentioned

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Luke. I don't care what someone else's pack weighs. Different hunts, climate, weather, etc. change with each hunt, so what you take changes.

It isn't a competition to see who has the lighter or heavier pack.

Just GO HUNT....

Mike7

WKR
Aaron & Luke, if I could legitimately carry 140 lbs 10 miles out of the backcountry, then that is all I would worry about as well. But not all of us here I suspect are half human and half draft horse any more...but still like to enjoy the backcountry (by the way, the farm animal reference is with all due respect). :)

The pack wt is important to me, because I know from prior experience with my fitness level, medical conditions, etc. that if I can get my pack light enough (without sacrificing some comfort and safety) to be able to pack out with 115 lbs or less of meat and gear, then this improves my range and ability to actually go on a deeper hunt and bring out an entire boned out smaller animal (e.g. mule deer) without any meat waste. To me that is the beauty of the collapsible load bearing packs like Kifaru has and bivy hunting...because I won't be making it back in for a second load of 115 lbs right away if it's very far and I won't be going anywhere very far with 135 lbs plus of total pack weight. Heck, that is why Sept archery is mostly with a friend and within 3 miles of a road or good trail generally.

It isn't a competition to see who has the lighter or heavier pack.

Just GO HUNT....

Agree with this. Having a "standard" isn't real practical, and risks becoming a competition for no purpose. Frankly, I don't care about the pack weight of a Colorado Mule deer hunter, and he doesn't care about my Alaska sheep pack weight. If you are talking about total pack weight, just state what YOU are including and what it's for and we will have the information we need. Different methods of measurement are useful for different discussions, and using them as "comparison" numbers isn't important to me.

Just my opinion of course.

Yk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike7, you have answered your own question. If 115 is your max, then figure out what specie your hunting weighs boned out and bone. For example, if on a mule deer hunt you punch a tag, probably figure you get 75 pounds of boned out meat and antlers, that would leave you 40 pounds for your camp.

Don't get all crazy if your upset on my mule deer weight, it was just an example.

Realize, you can always pack heavier weight on the way out as that is all you have left to do.

mtbshark

WKR
So my thoughts are that it is nice to see what others gear weights, it is an easy way of looking at what weight can be cut and where in your own pack!

all trips are different and each individual has a different idea on how much food and water is needed for each adventure. That said I feel that if one wants or needs a standard that it should be a gear only standard. The only piece of gear that needs not be on that list in my eyes is weapon of choice.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The only piece of gear that needs not be on that list in my eyes is weapon of choice.

Why is this? If someone is saving weight with a 2 pound tipi and 8 oz bivy vs. a 4 pound tent how is using a 6 pound rifle vs. a 7.5 pound rifle any different same weight a heavy setup or lightweight bow? Why exclude the weapon choice does it still not have to be carried?

Like I mentioned above I really am not to concerned with others bottoms lines as far as weight or even my own anymore to be honest. I take what I feel is needed plus a luxury item here and there and go. However, if someone can glean some helpful hints from my dall sheep or mountain goat hunt list to hunt elk in the Lower 48 then great. Just a lot different stuff going on but a lot crosses over too. Just hard to compare apples to apples on such things to really make the final weights of much value at all.

Mike7

WKR
RosinBag & Luke, I agree with everything that you said...that trip requirements and personal requirements play the biggest role. It is just common to see on this forum; however, people talking about 30-35 lb pack wt's for a week long hunt without any details of what this includes, so it is a little misleading sometimes to others, especially newer backcountry hunters, when no details go along with this pack wt.

Before going on an Alaska sheep hunt for instance, I would always want to pick the brain of one of you Alaskan's for details, in order to get an idea of what to expect and what has actually worked and what has not. As RosingBag said, I have figured out by trial and error, and what I have learned from others, that I can live comfortably on just over 50 lbs of food and gear (excluding clothes on back and trekking poles) for a week...which then leaves me with 40 lbs of gear hiking out(no food) and 75 lbs of deer meat/antlers.

Manosteel

WKR
^^^^ I agree that pack lists are more important to me than overall wieght! However, the reason I look at other gear lists is to see areas where I can save wieght! lol. Packing your gear up and over 5 mountains and back again is more enjoyable with a lighter pack.

So please continue with posting gear lists and wieght. Whatever your final pack wieght is depends on your needs. While its nice to have a general idea of what everyone else does, a target wieght is only as good as the explaination it comes with i.e. what you count and why.

So for a standard we can all use; maybe go with a dual system - provide two wieghts (1) in or on the pack(without water) and (2) on the body or carrying (i.e. clothes/boots/maybe treking poles, weapon or bino's) all depend on how you carry your gear.

For example, if I count everything that I could carry (minus water and minus what I wear on the body); my pack wieght is about 50lbs (5-6 days)
However, I carry into the backcountry like this - In or on Pack (gear + food, spotter/tripod-bow - not inculding water) 46lbs ; on the body i have colthes, boots, hat, bino's, rangefinder, treking poles.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
. But not all of us here I suspect are half human and half draft horse any more...

ironically enough the part of me that most resembles a horse it what also weighs me down the most. a blessing and a curse I'm afraid.

blb078

WKR
Anytime I talk about my weight I include everything, including the clothes I'm wearing, boots, food, wep, everything even the sunglasses on my head and my truck keys in my pack. Which for 7 days puts me at 65lbs, most people would say that's way to heavy, but if I were to go by the most popular choice in this poll then I'd be about 52-53lbs which most people would say isn't bad for 7 days. To me it should be anything that adds weight to you body regardless of were it's at since you have to lug it all up the mountain, then maybe explain the type of hunt you're doing or something. It also shows that a lot of weights you see posted around here people really aren't including everything. Saying food or wep is a variable doesn't make much sense to me cause everything is a variable depending on the hunt, location, & time of year. Might as well include everything then explain the hunt you're going on.