• everything youre carrying inlcuding binos around your neck etc

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • weight of everything including clothes your wearing and your boots

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • something i havent mentioned

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so as always when theres a gear list weight thread its never the same weights, some people count everything, some leave out weapon, or water, or binos.
i think we need a "rokslide standard" measure of gear weights.
pack weight
all up weight
head to toe weight
im not sure which is best to use but lets pick one.

I'd say everything you throw in your pack minus weapon and whatever your wearing. I pretty much have my binos on my chest 24/7 so don't ever count them in pack weight. Weapon systems vary widely as well whether you're toting a heavy rifle capable of long range or a stick bow. About the only things everything will be using across multiple season types and various locations are food, water, clothes, sleep systems, water filtration, kill kit, general accessories...etc (think everything you put in your pack). Things like weapons and what we wear on the hike in is too variable and could generate some inconsistent weight comparisons. Just my opinion.

Mike

OP
fillthefreezer
i agree on what youre wearing as variable and should not be counted but i definately think weapon should be counted as youre always carrying that and if you have a heavy weapon its no different than i guy rockin a 5lb sleeping bag....

binos, should we count them?
trekking poles?

OP
fillthefreezer
my basis for this is all the times ive seen poeple post lists and weights that seem so far off from mine, eventually come to find out its just in how the calc'd it.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree on what youre wearing as variable and should not be counted but i definately think weapon should be counted as youre always carrying that and if you have a heavy weapon its no different than i guy rockin a 5lb sleeping bag....

binos, should we count them?
trekking poles?

I dont think trekking poles should count...

Wrench77

WKR
I think leaving out food and water would be ok but you need to count everything else from head to toe. There are too many variables otherwise as you can see in the short amount or replies already. Questions like should we count trekking poles, binos, etc? Some people wear certain things and some people carry it in their pack. We'll never be consistent if you don't start counting everything including the clothing/gear that your wearing/carrying. If you are hunting late season vs. early season there will be a difference in clothing weight of roughly 2-3 pounds, nothing major. In my opinion if you are carrying it or wearing you need to count it.

Last edited:
Instead of having a "standard" for pack weight, what about having a standard description. Things like:

Location of hunt + expected elevation
Weapon type
Duration of hunt
Total pack weight including food/water/weapon

I still wouldn't be counting binos, trekking poles or items worn while hiking in like boots, watch, hat...etc I could see including your layering system in the weight even if you're wearing some of the items in.

Mike

Pack weight = what’s in/on the pack
Total weight = Pack weight + what your wearing (what your wearing your carrying) the old adage 1lb on feet is 5lbs on the back.

bbrown

WKR
Pack weight = what’s in/on the pack
Total weight = Pack weight + what your wearing (what your wearing your carrying) the old adage 1lb on feet is 5lbs on the back.

This sums it up perfectly for me...

By the way I want to change my answer - did not read all the options first Doh!!!

tstowater

WKR
Really guys? I think the only standard should be coming out heavier than going in.

Yeah. I can see that some of you need more to do (not you DR). Seems that we're obsessing about some things. Understand the purpose for the question, but where are we heading if we can't even agree on a standardized definition. I can see merit to every position and I also look at the "bush plane" concept of what counts. If I'm carrying it somewhere, it should count for something, whether considered "pack weight" or not. IMO.

Manosteel

WKR
Pack wieght is what you put in or on the pack. I carry my bow on my pack on the hike in and out so I count it. Bino's always on me so I probably shouldn't count those (but I have been). This is a good question.

Mike7

WKR
It is nice to have some kind of standard for comparison purposes and when trying to learn from what others do. Personally, I don't consider my baselayer of clothing and boots that are being worn or trekking poles as part of my calculation, because these are going with me on every trip and not ever in the pack. Everything else is additional wt I have to carry and can be adjusted.

I can see where it would be best to leave food and water out or the standard calculation for comparison purposes, or to have the standard contain for instance a basic 3L water wt and 1 1/2 lbs of food per day of the trip.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My pack weight is whatever it is once I have everything I need for a given hunt. It is what it is, not so much concerned about the other guys pack weights as I know what I need now and some of the guys that are going in with 35 pounds "all up" are just more hardcore than me and I'm fine with that. :D

Floorguy

WKR
I am more interested in the gear list rather than the gear weight in the list. Sometimes its interesting but if the list doesn't have the weights listed it doesn't bother me if there is an item I am interested in chances are I am going to check out the specs anyway later.

TJ

WKR
My pack weight is whatever it is once I have everything I need for a given hunt. It is what it is, not so much concerned about the other guys pack weights as I know what I need now and some of the guys that are going in with 35 pounds "all up" are just more hardcore than me and I'm fine with that. :D

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the time my bow is in my hand, so I don't generally count it.
A lot of times I'll go in the night before in the dark so I'll probably have it strapped on.

I chose the second option but a two day or ten day trip will change things a bunch.