The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

PR (f/k/a CDEV) was up 10%. That's a pretty good day in my book.

Eddie
I'm pretty much back to where I started. I'm hoping the long-term CDEV/PR folks will share their thoughts, but my concern watching PR's price action this last couple weeks is it's just trading like an equity and not like the commodity. Duh, I know, but it seems like as the big broader equity market drops PR goes along with it, despite oil prices staying pretty stable-ish. Today was a big up day arguably because the broader market was up and risk was back on, and not as much because the price of oil was up some. This has been my experience painfully watching gold stock price action the last two years too, they only act like the commodity when the stock market is doing well, which could be at total odds with the state of the underlying commodity. Gold/oil price can remain flat but the miners/oil stocks get crushed as the market gets crushed. The announcement of a more or less symbolic OPEC price cut on Wednesday could see a good rally in price of oil and hopefully this short-term stock market bounce hasn't already run out of gas by then. Could create a good short-term selling opportunity. I don't know s*** about s*** and I've timed a lot of things wrong, but it seems like there's more downside ahead for stocks before there's more long-term predictable growth, so I'm guessing PR has more downside ahead too before it goes up. I'd put a shrug emoji in here but it doesn't look like there is one. So, *shrug*

EDIT: But just like that, a counter-narrative. Such volatility...

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Crazy....
Interesting day today....watching Biden crap his pants (figuratively this time) with OPEC+ announcing an insane 2 million BPD cut in supply. This, after trashing our own industry but off to UAE and KSA to beg and fistbump for more oil.

From Brietbart:
A panel of energy ministers of the OPEC+ alliance of oil-exporting countries on Wednesday agreed to recommend a historically large cut in output, a stinging rebuke to the Biden administration that is likely to mean higher prices at gas pumps in the United States and Europe.

Couldn't happen to worse bunch of creeps here in the U.S. that have tried to all but eliminate our fossil fuel energy independence.

PR = 8.60+ Let's go!!

Last edited:
Might watch it go to the moon from here, but I sold out of PR today. Crude price was up on the OPEC announcement and then mostly flattish after that, so I'm betting that after the big and quick move up this last week in both crude and PR that there will be a temporary drop or a consolidation from people taking profits or just from volatility. I'm great at timing things wrong, but I'll lock in some gains on this *trade* and hopefully will have another opportunity to *invest* in it in the near future. My risk tolerance at the moment is definitely leaning towards safety in cash -- I know that logically oil should go up this next 3 months, but I have no confidence that oil stocks won't go through convulsions on the way. And logic is a problem lately. Gold should also have gone to the moon with inflation the way it is this last two years, but it's still toiling away in the doldrums. I will say the last two and half years of market absurdity has made me way quicker on the trigger to sell and lock in profits after getting burned on some huge swings.

Last edited:

badgerboy

FNG
Anyone riding the marijuana high today? Pun intended. I was in on cgc but patience wore thin and got out even months ago......

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dipped my toes in on PR at 8.50 yesterday morning, it's already the most paper-profitable single stock trade I've ever done. Hopefully I'm smart enough to get out before a bottom-out.

Well my timing wasn't perfect, if I had waited another day or two to sell my PR I would have been up another $.80 per share, that would have been nice. Who knows where it goes from here, but it's back down to $8.76 from its high up around $9.40. Of course the price of oil is back down again today. I'm not saying I got it right, it's just the volatility is so high that you are right either way on any given day.

Slugz

WKR
Serious question here.
I have 30,000$ to invest. Will hold long term.
Meeting with my financial dude tomorrow and I have my own ideas, ill see what he says.
What say you guys ?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Serious question here.
Meeting with my financial dude tomorrow and I have my own ideas, ill see what he says.
What say you guys ?
I would sit tight a little longer. We are probably close to a bottom.....hopefully the elections (flushing out the DEMs) will be a catalyst. We could have an epic rally in December

Without knowing your complete picture (all other existing investments and how they are allocated, real estate holdings and other hard assets, your age, net worth, years to retirement, etc.) , it's hard to make a recommendation. Your financial dude should be able to give you good advice

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Serious question here.
What say you guys ?

Look at large corporations that make real products or have real services that I’ve just been beat down over the last few years. Look for a very low price/earnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHSD

WKR
Anyone have any opinions on Spirit Airline stock? Seems like it could be a good deal if the buy goes through. I am a total noob at this, what am I missing? Trading at $19.85 currently with a $33.50 buyout.

Not much action in this thread lately. Im guessing a lot of people are sitting it out, that’s pretty much where I’m at. I did finally pull the trigger on an I Bond purchase last night though. Been thinking about that one for a while, but didn’t want to pull the trigger because that’s cash that I wanted to have ready to dump into index funds when the dust settles and it seems like the time to get back into stocks. But then I realized that I need this money 2-3 years from now for a house purchase when I retire so I better diversify somewhat and go for some safe money (must keep the bond for a year, then between 1-5 years if you cash out you pay back the last 3 months of interest made.) So I’m treating the I Bond pretty much like a high interest savings account or money market account.

JP Morgan trading desk said in the last day or two that we should expect a bear market rally in the next month or two, but 6-12 month outlook is still recession. I’m not interested in “trading” any more so I’ll wait til I can invest.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Serious question here.
What say you guys ?
What did he say?

For $30k….before 10/28 -> $10k in ibonds for $2022, the rest as ibond gifts, deliver in 2023 and 2024. This ties up the $ for a little while, though. (But, keep in mind, this would be a financial thought, from a complete stranger, on a hunting forum…..Would you go to a financial forum and ask for hunting advice?……)

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Not much action in this thread lately. Im guessing a lot of people are sitting it out, that’s pretty much where I’m at. I did finally pull the trigger on my annual limit for an I Bond purchase last night though. Been thinking about that one for a while, but didn’t want to pull the trigger because that’s cash that I wanted to have ready to dump into index funds when the dust settles and it seems like the time to get back into stocks. But then I realized that I need this money 2-3 years from now for a house purchase when I retire so I better diversify somewhat and go for some safe money (must keep the bond for a year, then between 1-5 years if you cash out you pay back the last 3 months of interest made.) So I’m treating the I Bond pretty much like a high interest savings account or money market account.

JP Morgan trading desk said in the last day or two that we should expect a bear market rally in the next month or two, but 6-12 month outlook is still recession. I’m not interested in “trading” any more so I’ll wait til I can invest.
Suspect that many of us here are just waiting this out. PR is slowly and steadily rising like other O & Gs in this bear market.
Hopefully double digits are inbound--that's when I'll be outbound.

Slugz

WKR
What did he say?

For $30k….before 10/28 -> $10k in ibonds for $2022, the rest as ibond gifts, deliver in 2023 and 2024. This ties up the $ for a little while, though. (But, keep in mind, this would be a financial thought, from a complete stranger, on a hunting forum…..Would you go to a financial forum and ask for hunting advice?……)
I have a financial advisor/fiduciary that makes all the decisions for me. I didn't have any expectations when I posted. I saw the thread and merely engaged to see what thoughts/comments would be made to gauge my decisions/ acceptable risk / future stocks purchased.

For my own situation he said "Hold it till we bottom a little more" " Lets see how a few things shake out in the next 45 days"

Last edited:
I have a financial advisor/fiduciary that makes all the decisions for me. I saw the thread and merely engaged to see what thoughts/comments would be made to gauge my decisions/ acceptable risk / stocks purchased.

For my own situation he said "Hold it till we bottom a little more"
I like that advice.

Slugz

WKR
Been buying into Verizon(VZ) in the last few days. At their 52 week low, solid company, makes tons of money, pays their dividend religiously, isn’t overloaded with debt. At today price it’s over a 7% dividend! It’s a long term hold for me.
Dang... Looks like they are at their 10 year low also. :)