The Science of Recoil (videos)

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Those videos are great. I shoot well enough, but i have problems spotting impacts and vapor trails. Im gonna try this out next time and see how that soft shoulder helps. It makes you wonder how many POI shifts youve chased over the years when the reality is different shoulder consistancies.

Thanks for the video!

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I've had trouble getting my rifle sighted in. I've had it lazer sighted, went to the range and still couldn't get it on paper @100. I've thought it has to be me and my positioning and tigger control. A soft shoulder is something I really need to work on. Thanks for these videos.

Lawnboi

WKR
I've had trouble getting my rifle sighted in. I've had it lazer sighted, went to the range and still couldn't get it on paper @100. I've thought it has to be me and my positioning and tigger control. A soft shoulder is something I really need to work on. Thanks for these videos.
Laser is a waste of time and money. Bore site. Paper at 50. Then move to 100.

You can give the trigger a high five and still be on paper at 100

ID_Matt

WKR
Laser is a waste of time and money. Bore site. Paper at 50. Then move to 100.

You can give the trigger a high five and still be on paper at 100
Skip the paper at 50. Remove the bolt, get bags under the buttstock and look through the barrel and line up to the target at 100 yards, adjust the scope to the center of the target. Gets me on paper every time with the first round.

Lawnboi

WKR
Skip the paper at 50. Remove the bolt, get bags under the buttstock and look through the barrel and line up to the target at 100 yards, adjust the scope to the center of the target. Gets me on paper every time with the first round.
Most times I roll the dice at 100 as well. It’s worked and not worked.

Even easier is to bore site and shoot at a rock on a hill. Spot your shot and adjust

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pointer to the videos.
I like learning, always, as awareness informs improvement.

Yup, that’s what I do, never had it not work

OP
MaraviaDave
……this thread was intended to be a discussion about the forces of recoil and it’s relationship to body position during the shot process.

But, somehow it’s devolved into lasers, bore sighting, trying to get shots on paper at 100 yards and who knows more between Lawnboi and Jim Shockey.

What’s next, a discussion about whether licking the windows on the short bus should be left-to-right or up-and-down?

Carry on……

Lawnboi

WKR
……this thread was intended to be a discussion about the forces of recoil and it’s relationship to body position during the shot process.

But, somehow it’s devolved into lasers, bore sighting, trying to get shots on paper at 100 yards and who knows more between Lawnboi and Jim Shockey.

What’s next, a discussion about whether licking the windows on the short bus should be left-to-right or up-and-down?

Carry on……
We are still talking rifles Atleast…. Been worse around here lately.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
These videos are a good visual representation of recoil forces and body position in relation to the rifle during the shot.

Part 1: Your Shoulder and Recoil

Part 2: Getting Behind the Rifle

Part 3: How Recoil Relates to Accuracy

They are pretty good, however he misses how recoil pad/shoulder height to bore line matters (though the 2x4” example shows it) and while in general the effect on “accuracy” is close to what he believes, 5 shot groups aren’t statistically solid, and throwing out a shot just because you don’t like where it went is indicative of finding the conclusion that he wanted.

WCB

WKR

Carry on……
Every body knows you start bottom left and lick up and to the right. That is why no one has discussed it yet.

BjornF16

WKR
They are pretty good, however he misses how recoil pad/shoulder height to bore line matters (though the 2x4” example shows it) and while in general the effect on “accuracy” is close to what he believes, 5 shot groups aren’t statistically solid, and throwing out a shot just because you don’t like where it went is indicative of finding the conclusion that he wanted.
Form, can you recommend good long range mechanics instructional videos?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Not really. At least not for hunting rifles. While technically the mechanics are the same between a 6lb rifle and a 26lb rifle, in reality you can get away with so much BS with heavy PRS style rifles that will hurt you in field shooting with normal weight rifles that recoil at all. You can get a general idea from Frank Galli, etc. But it isn’t a one for one transfer.

Dobermann

WKR

Carry on……
My money's on @Lawnboi ...

Dobermann

WKR
To add to Form's recommendation, @THLR also has a long-form video on Vimeo - Long range shooting from scratch: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/37429/

I know on a recent podcast with Precision Shooter's Kerry Adams (https://precisionshooter.co.nz/thomas-haugland-aka-thlr-aka-norway/), Thomas said he hasn't gone back and watched them, but they're still one of the main references for field shooters her in New Zealand - Kerry encourages students to watch them before taking a precision rifle class in person.

And 'the godfather' of modern precision shooting, Jacob Bynum from Rifles Only also has two DVDs. Trailer here:

And DVDs here: https://www.riflesonly.com/rifles-only-instructional-videos

Jacob's really need to be thought of as a set - the second is on field positions, but builds on the fundamentals in Disk 1.