The Science of Recoil (videos)

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
Not my film, I just participate. No 1 was the original tuition, no 2 was a response to market demand.

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks!
Not my film, I just participate. No 1 was the original tuition, no 2 was a response to market demand.
As always, Thomas, you're too humble - you're the star of the show! :)

But seriously folks, there's a lot of dross out there. There's some silly PRS-based, over-heavy gun, trigger-slapping stuff.

There's a handful of people teaching solid fundamentals, with occasional positional material included (Jacob, Frank. Caylen and Phil).

And then there's THLR - field-based, tested under real-world conditions, and directly relevant to what we do.

Reactions: prm

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone better explain soft vs hard shoulder? I completely agree with the prone position (straight behind rifle, legs out, yada yada), and obviously there is more to positioning the rifle on the shoulder/chest. I've seen and learned that the position of the rifle matters a lot. The one part I have a hard time with is shoulder pressure. As a kid I was taught to pull the rifle into your shoulder firmly, creating tension... I've tried very light pressure as well. What I've noticed is that MV changes noticeably (along with impact) from a lightweight rifle. How does the butt pressure when setting up relate to a hard/soft shoulder, especially when prone? Doesn't seem like prone allows much variation compared to bench shooting.
I came across this post originally because I'm trying to figure out how to soften the recoil of my 338WM. It beats the heck out of me and thought maybe there is a better way. Does hard/soft shoulder affect felt recoil?

BjornF16

WKR
Thanks!
Been watching no 1. Enjoying it so far. Reticle tends to jump left at the shot so I guess I need to pull my right elbow in.