The season ends before it starts....

ODB

WKR
Sounds like you ultimately got a solid diagnosis and plan for recovery. That’s good, and I hope you’ll be where you want to be sooner than later.

Is this some sort of congenital heart defect? And the hole passed a clot that caused a stroke?

My sister had that condition, discovered after a stroke. They patched her heart with a surgery, lathroscopically (is that a word?) up her groin. She’s as healthy as can be now. I think you’ll be on the mountain next year. Good luck.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

My friend Mike went through that back in the 90s and he made a complete recovery. Your chances of a complete recovery are far greater today then his were due to improved technology and treatment.

Keep us posted on your progress.

87TT

WKR
Tough luck for sure. Buy an Inreach and get out as soon as you're able. Who knows what is going to happen so don't waste what you have. As for the blood thinners, my late wife had a heart valve replaced and was on Waferin. We still backpacked well over 11,000 ft with no issues.

WKR
My wife had her PFO and ASD repaired a couple of years ago. Thankfully, it was caught before a stroke. She now has 2 different devices "patching" the holes (4 total holes: 3 ASD, 1 PFO). She is an active crossfitter and weightlifter with zero limitations. She went through years as a high level endurance athlete, including collegiate swimming, with zero indications of any problems. Her heart is at 100% function now.

Brains do heal and re-wire, but it's not a fast process. Be patient but optimistic.

You've got this my friend.

FLAK

WKR
That really sucks. Just hang in there like a hair in a biscuit and get back at it ASAP.
Prayers sent.

Rich M

WKR
So glad to hear you got it in time and have a plan for recovery. You have the right attitude and will come thru just fine.

I don't think I had stroke but was working with a client who was outright lying to me an it infuriated me - blew some steam, felt a pop and next thing I know, I had vertigo. It came and went twice where it was bad, then went away. I don't let myself get that worked up like that over stuff any more. Never went to Dr. over it. That was about 12-13 years ago.

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry to hear. Just goes to show that things can occur at any age. The great part for you is, you are in good shape which will make recovery that much easier/quicker/better. Medical technology has come a looooong way in brain ischemia (stroke) diagnosis and treatment so take some solace in that. Good luck!

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Man, this story hits home for me also. I was fighting terrible headaches for over ten years. I was never one to go to the doctor. Finally, last October, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor, had a scan, and went straight into surgery. They found a tumor the size of a baseball on my right frontal lobe. It was removed and found to be benign. The surgery was on Tuesday morning, and I woke up on the following Saturday. I thought I would never walk again. The left side of my body was paralyzed. That soon went away and I was on my way to recovering...or so I thought. After a month in the hospital, and extensive PT to get myself walking again, I was recovering well according to my doctors. Two months later I learned from another scan that the tumor was growing back fast. I had to take radiation treatments. After two of those, I had seizures. I lost my drivers license, missed five months of work, and had to move out of my house. Its been an absolute nightmare but I'm getting better. I shot sporting clays for the first time since surgery this past Sunday. Did better than I thought I would. I actually ran across a road today while crossing in front of a car. Huge accomplishment at the moment. I will hunt again and so will you. I'm not real familiar with the limitations of a stroke, but I'm very close in age to you and understand these brain injuries now. It takes a lot of time. My doctors told me it would take a year at least to recover. I didn't believe them then, but do now. My legs are getting stronger, but my vision and hearing is compromised. If you would like to ask more questions about what I've been through, feel free to PM me. People came out of the woodwork to be there for me when I needed them. I'd be happy to help you out in any way that I can. Good Luck!

Wishing you the best in your recovery. I missed elk season last years due to accidentally almost cutting my thumb off. Take care of yourself first. Life goes on without elk hunting or shooting your bow.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Despite all your hard work this season........I think you need to look at the big picture. It sucks to miss a season......but you will have many more.

I wish ya the best, please keep us updated!!

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it sucks about your hunt, but I'm so glad you were able to get a useful diagnosis, and get it addressed. First step now is to heal from what you've been through so far, then look at the rest as an opportunity to overcome, and grow. You sound like the kind of guy who will come out of this better than you went in!

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
From years working as commercial diver/dive supervisor/ and as it pertains to this a DMT (dive medic technician) it really sounds like you have a fairly common congenital heart issue. Patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a fairly common, congenital, generally benign hole between the heart's left and right atria. Is this what you were diagnosed with? If so most all divers I know who came to be diagnosed with PFO went on to live normal lives. Some could never work as commercial divers again but lived normal lives. Sorry to hear. I’m curious if that’s what the diagnosis was. On another note it’s absolutely nuts to me how many Dr just throw a dart at a dart board for a diagnosis. “Oh it’s just an ear infection”. It’s absolutely laughable how many times family or friends need a 2nd or 3rd opinion to get it right. Honestly a 16yo could type symptoms into their phone and prob diagnose better than some practicing Drs out there. 8 plus years of school. Smh

Wishing you a speedy recovery man!

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I was late to the show and didn’t read all the posts. 7 Bartman nailed it.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Is this some sort of congenital heart defect? And the hole passed a clot that caused a stroke?

My sister had that condition, discovered after a stroke. They patched her heart with a surgery, lathroscopically (is that a word?) up her groin. She’s as healthy as can be now. I think you’ll be on the mountain next year. Good luck.

That is exactly what it was. Might have a bonus hereditary blood issue from my father that added to the party in my brain also. Doing the surgery in a little over a week.