The Smokehouse

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
do you probe everyone or just use a wifi thermometer in a few?
thanks again for the answers and time for a newb!!
oh yeah, think this one is obvious but there is no problem making out of meat from freezer right? or do you try to do it all right after the kill

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I use one of the wireless probes in the meat, when it gets close to temp I then use my thermapen to do random spot checks throughout all the meat.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Yeah, three rows ended up being too tall, two rows in perfect

Roy68

WKR
....oh yeah, think this one is obvious but there is no problem making out of meat from freezer right? or do you try to do it all right after the kill

There are no issues with using frozen meat. We simply pre-weigh whole cuts and package in freezer paper (approx 5#pkgs); as we make our cured sausages & jerkeys at a later date.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Correct,
I apologise skindaddy, I missed that question earlier.

Once I kill an animal, I will debone, then trim and run all my grind meat through the grinder, weigh, package and freeze. Once I decide what I am going to make, I will pull out frozen meat and the correct weight packages and then process into whatever the plan is.

jmez

WKR
Do you make any fresh sausages or smoke everything?

I'm looking for a fresh bologna recipe. Some friends give me some ring bologna every year and it is fresh. Old family secret and they won't give me the recipe. I know it is heavy on black pepper and garlic but not sure what else is in it?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I'm not sure how you would have a fresh style bologna. After grinding, mixing and stuffing you then cook it (hot water bath, oven, smoker with or without smoke) then chill, potentially slice and then package, for a deli sandwich/cracker bologna. But I for sure do not know everything or even close to it, so I am curious how you receive fresh bologna. I think of anything known as fresh as uncooked sausage, like breakfast and italian sausage, brats, links and patties.

But, I do not have a recipe for bologna. I have used Walton's bologna seasoning with goose meat and it turned out fantastic. I stuffed it in fibrous casings and cooked to 155 internal temp, ice bath and then sliced and packaged for sandwiches.

jmez

WKR
Bologna may not be the right term. I term fresh the same as you. Fresh=uncooked. It is stuffed in natural casings and packaged in sections 12-15 inches long. I'm not up on all the sizes but between a polish sausage and small summer sausage. It's packaged and stuffed like a ring bologna so that is why I termed it such. It is likely just a sausage of some sort.

I grill it and we eat it as a main course. It isn't a breakfast sausage, polish, brat, italian, etc. Maybe what they call a garlic sausage?

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
92XJ not sure if your still on here but and not to bother you but do you happen to still have pics of your smoker, the ol photo bucket won't show them in thread anymore.

Ifs been quite sometime, but I finally think I will be building something like this