The Social Dilema/Netflix Movie

MattB

WKR
My wife and I watched this movie tonight and it shed some light on social media's contribution to a variety of social ills, from youth suicide to political division. I thought it was very interesting and wanted to get the thoughts of RS members who have watched it.

I've only used Facebook a decade ago to try to locate a college roommate, but would make me want to nuke my accounts ASAP if I was a regular user.

Flogger

FNG
I watched it the other night. While I knew some of the information prior to watching, as a whole, I was shocked by it. To call it disturbing is an understatement.
Unfortunately, part of my work requires me to use social media. If it weren’t for that I would rarely “log in” to anything.
Im not a pessimist or doomsday prepper but the movie definitely drove home the fact, that I personally feel as though, we as a society have hit a point of no return.
My Grandfather, who got me into hunting/fishing when I could just barely walk, was a WWII Veteran. He was my best friend and an incredible human being. I find myself constantly asking myself what he would say about the current state of affairs? He would definitely find many positives as he was just that kind of person. I think he would also be horrified. We live in the greatest country that has ever been known to man. But we have some serious issues that need addressed, quickly.

ODB

WKR
It's borderline criminal the way the majors are using our minds against us - and they know it. It's why tristan Harris left google. I first heard him on Sam Harris' podcast many years ago. It's frustrating that kids are hooked almost at birth and don't have a chance. Its how they know the world - no wonder why things look so grim...

jlh42581

WKR
I no longer do any type of social media thats really tied to politics, religion or people I know on a personal level. I know very few people on these hunting forums outside their online persona. Even then I get tired of the holier than thou even in hunting. Separating myself from major social media was the best move I ever made.

The only one I have left that I will likely generate content for going forward is youtube. Even then, I am not willing to put it on production level for likes. Its not my job, its not my life.

I've reverted back to more simplicity in everything I do rather than trying to have more. Not that I tried to ever impress anyone with materialistic shit but rather I was just in the rat race with everyone else.

Ive spent my entire career in big technology since 2005. Watched it from the basics of using things like AIM chat to what we have today. Tech is GREAT on certain levels and a demise others. Even ole Elongated Muskrat says AI is going to destroy us if we dont contain it.

Being off Facebook is great but YouTube is basically social media and it probably consumes too much of my time. Also lesser “evils” like hunting podcasts can pull us away from what matters most-the mission God has for us to be all he needs us to be, to love others to work hard for our family’s and be present for them (outside of some time during hunting season:)) basically technology makes it hard for us to keep priorities right and our minds and hearts quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4rcgoat

WKR
Watched it a while back.....wasnt surprised at all actually. Ive never done facef@#k or the rest of them. I knew from day 1 what these useless pin dicks were up to. I see through the veil. Just remember, these are the same kind of idiot's that are running this country....into the ground.

blackdawg

WKR
It’s a sad state of affairs. I got back on social media platforms last year after a long hiatus. I think someone needs to stand firm and fight a good fight from within, I will take the mental fight game to them. Closing social media accounts down now would almost seem like I am giving in, the power to keep the brain from being manipulated and understanding how to play the social media game may be completely underestimated moving forward as the few try to control the many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw it, made me Glad i am not on any social Media except a few forums.

sad state of affiars the socials have us in, but i feel its a bugfer symptom to an overriding problem rather than THE problem. The problem i see is a snese of apathy and entitlement that is pervasive in the US that has created a lazy population that is ever closer coming to a Wall-E world.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I watched it with my niece a while back. It was a very well done propaganda piece. They showed some truths and dangers about social media, using hipsters who really seem to know what they're talking about. As I watched it, something just didn't seem quite right and I was waiting for the subtle propaganda that seemed imminent. It was just too mainstream and popular to not have an agenda attached to it.

Sure enough towards the end it came out in full view. Censorship.

It's not the fact that the government helped to fund these tech start ups who, through defense industry subsidies, where able to establish monopoly control of the tech industry (I'm looking at you Google and Facebook), and who are now in bed with government to do all of their unconstitutional surveillance and tracking of the American people. No, no, no, the danger here is misinformation and conspiracy theories.

Vaccine awareness advocates and Trump supporters lumped in with Flat Earthers and Bigfoot believers. Same old trick. Same old pattern...

"This scary thing is going to destroy us all, aaahhhh scary... but don't worry we have a solution. We'll use this technology for good by censoring people with ideas we don't like."

Problem. Reaction. Solution.

Just my take on it

Beendare

WKR
Yeah it’s a must see for everyone

It’s pretty scary when they interview the Execs of some of those huge tech corporations and they severely limit their child’s exposure to social media.

THAT tells you something....

def90

WKR
My wife and I watched this movie tonight and it shed some light on social media's contribution to a variety of social ills, from youth suicide to political division. I thought it was very interesting and wanted to get the thoughts of RS members who have watched it.

I've only used Facebook a decade ago to try to locate a college roommate, but would make me want to nuke my accounts ASAP if I was a regular user.

Ultimately how you use and engage in Social Media is up to you. Yeah, they set it up to promote the most clicks that they can but if you unfollow the guilty parties and don't follow the click bait you can still keep in touch with your friends snd family. The term personal responsibility comes in to play.

I watched it and deleted FB, Instagram and twitter, it amazing how you feel when you don't see the idiots expressing themselves everyday on each platform.