The spotter bug is getting me

ofl0926

WKR
So I am a year out from a guided hunt in the area of Cody, Wyoming. Currently running a set of SLC 10x42. I have a pro master tripod with outdoorsman pan head that I’ll be using the SLC on. This will the late hunt, middle of October time frame. I’ve been tossing the idea of getting a spotter and adding it into the gear arsenal. I do plan on going back west for DIY the following year or so.
My question are as follow
My budget cap would probably be a Kowa 77. Do you even think it’s worth it? How and when are you guys using the spotter? Maybe go for something more budget friendly like razor HD(military discount) or even the athlon.
If you were in my shoes, what would be your take on it?!?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what its worth i now have the kowa 774 and had a gen 1 razor 85. The kowa is quite a bit better. The razor wasnt bad for $800 but the kowa beats it in every aspect in my opinion espeacially color and usability at 60x.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
For what its worth i now have the kowa 774 and had a gen 1 razor 85. The kowa is quite a bit better. The razor wasnt bad for $800 but the kowa beats it in every aspect in my opinion espeacially color and usability at 60x.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading. The kowa 77x spotters are amazing.
Just trying to see if first I need to spend that kind of coin or will a spotter like the razor be enough for now and the future. Second thing is, do I even need it lol.

BBob

WKR
Even in AZ and NM where in some areas I can see for miles and miles I could easily do without a spotter and killed many elk in the past without one. Back then if I was going to glass binoculars and tripod did fine. Once I could afford a quality spotter it was certainly useful but I can go for days and not carry or touch it. OTC in CO for most places I’ve been I won’t bother to carry it in, it’ll never get used. That’s why I say maybe, it really depends on where and when you are hunting.

And how much extra $$$ you have to spend:)

Kowa 77x is a great spotter. I 100% recommend calling Doug @ CameraLand to see if he'll honor the Father's Day price; it was a damn good price.

I use my spotting scope (Kowa 554 and Swaro STX 65/95) for confirmations and use my SLCs (10s/15s) for glassing and general use. When I see something of potential interest, the spotter comes out.

elkguide

WKR
Don't know where exactly you are hunting but I worked/guided out of Cody for many years, (in the Thoroughfare) and didn't use my spotter except from camp looking at elk. Once we left camp, my SLC's and then my EL's did everything that I needed and I didn't use a tripod.
I am a Swarovski fanboy bigtime but my spotter is a Maven S-1a.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Don't know where exactly you are hunting but I worked/guided out of Cody for many years, (in the Thoroughfare) and didn't use my spotter except from camp looking at elk. Once we left camp, my SLC's and then my EL's did everything that I needed and I didn't use a tripod.
I am a Swarovski fanboy bigtime but my spotter is a Maven S-1a.

Thoroughfare is the area.

elkguide

WKR
The areas in there that I worked didn't give me much need/use for a spotter. They are a neat/necessary tool to have in your hands but as for the need in there, I never found one that valuable.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
The areas in there that I worked didn't give me much need/use for a spotter. They are a neat/necessary tool to have in your hands but as for the need in there, I never found one that valuable.

Copy thanks for the insight

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
guided hunt I'd say no real need; you've got quality binoculars and tripod- that sure be more than plenty

if a spotter is necessary, you're guide will have one :)

Kinda what I am thinking but I wonder if I’ll get one down the road

Kinda what I am thinking but I wonder if I’ll get one down the road

I would also agree on the guided hunt you probably don’t need one. Your guide should have one and hopefully will let you use/look through it on your hunt also. After that you can decide if you “need one” for your hunting needs. That said I use a Swarovski ATS and will almost always pack it on every hunt I go on.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I would also agree on the guided hunt you probably don’t need one. Your guide should have one and hopefully will let you use/look through it on your hunt also. After that you can decide if you “need one” for your hunting needs. That said I use a Swarovski ATS and will almost always pack it on every hunt I go on.

On my first elk hunt we glassed a lot with both binos and spotters. This was in eastern oregon. Spotters were used for used for details and identifying mature bulls in herds

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading. The kowa 77x spotters are amazing.
Just trying to see if first I need to spend that kind of coin or will a spotter like the razor be enough for now and the future. Second thing is, do I even need it lol.

If you buy used you can probably sell it for close to what you paid and upgrade a year or more later. Thats what i did. Scooped a razor off ebay for $800, used it two years and took good care of it then sold for $750 to fund better optics.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
If you buy used you can probably sell it for close to what you paid and upgrade a year or more later. Thats what i did. Scooped a razor off ebay for $800, used it two years and took good care of it then sold for $750 to fund better optics.

Good option as well

jimh406

WKR
I agree you probably don't need a spotting scope with a guide.

I have a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 27-60x85 and a Gen 2 Razor HD 22-48x65. Both of mine are angled. Based on what I read and some comparison on YouTube, the Gen 2 is quite a bit better than the Gen 1. I like both of my Gen 2s a lot. I picked up the 22-48 used for a very good price because my family likes to look at wildlife, stars, planets, too. ;). I have noticed the 22-48s are just enough lighter to be noticeable when they are in a pack.

In any case, you have a very expensive nice pair of binoculars. I'd save my money or maybe update your pack, clothes, and buy the equivalent spotting scope and nice tripod next year. A nice tripod makes a big difference when you are scanning. I think you will be disappointed with something that isn't equivalent level. You will probably find that in low light and almost any of the time, your binoculars will show details better than a lower quality spotting scope.