The sunglasses-what tint?

2ski

WKR
I need to replace my Smith sunglasses. Anyone have opinions on tint. I have a bronze mirror but I'd be curious what I'm getting out of say blue or red.

What are thoughts? All around sunglass. Fishing rivers and lakes?

I need prescription now and the transition lenses I got aren't dark enough. When I wear my glasses....I see fine without expet at distance. And I'm sure seeing at distance better can only help my hunting.

So what does everyone recomend?

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
If you take some time a cruise around on Costa's website (costa del Mar) they give you a rundown on what color lenses are good for what situation..

sylvest

FNG
I prefer Costa Del Mar Harpoon with green mirror lenses which provides a bit of a copper tint rather than just black. I always run glass 580 lenses. Been using them for 15 years.

just get something with copper/amber base lenses, mirror color is just whatever a given company wants to put on their lenses and doesn’t effect anything except for looking cool and sometimes slightly reducing light transmission. For Costa I would go Copper/Silver mirror/green mirror (not sunrise silver mirror). I am not sure what smith lenses have a copper/amber base.

My recommendations on light transmission will depend on where you live. Here in the east for my fishing I prefer higher light transmission because it tends to be shady or overcast more frequently. I honestly wear Costa sunrise silver mirrors (25% light transmission I believe) more often than any other sunglasses when it comes to fishing- but I would not recommend them as your only sunglass. Something like a copper/amber(12%) lens without a mirror is going to transmit more light than a mirrored lens. Costas silver mirror (12%) also transmits more light than their green mirror does (10%) Like mentioned above most sunglass companies have some education about lens types and choices.

If you’re out west with less trees, More sun, or do more lake fishing then a lens with less light transmission may be better for you like the green mirror.

Avoid a gray lens for fishing (unless you are doing something like offshore fishing in high sun), copper and amber amplify contrast to help with spotting fish, rocks, and other details. They also just make the world look more vibrant.

Yellows, rose, pink, and super light amber are more specialty lenses to maximize light transmission and/or contrast. Although they are great tools I probably wouldn’t want a pair for my only sunglasses.

Last edited:
Second on the costa comments. I also recently got a pair of Oakleys with their deep blue water lenses, they have a rose base that I like a lot. Have not been on the water with them yet though.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

I have a set of perscription sunglasses with Gold tint. They cut a significant amount sun and glare without being too dark. These were from Roka.

disclaimer: I was on the Roka train before Kennedy was an ambassador for them. Roka does the pick 3 to try on and you'll get a discount on whatever you buy from us

Copper/amber base with a mirror.

I wear Costa green mirror 580 glass unless I'm working/shooting, then 580 poly for impact resistance.

If I can only have one quality pair I opt for amber lenses as they are useful in low light conditions. But on the flats, or in snow, I wish I had a darker pair, like a bronze.

I've been a Smith guy for a long time and the flyshop I used to work at went to Costa and I tried them out and, IMO, they are trash compared to Smith. Cheap frames, no non-slip rubber nose pads, no rubber on the insides by the ears. I'd rather pay full retail for Smith than 40% off Costa. YMMV of course.

What are the lighting conditions?
This.
I was doing a lot of winter steelhead fishing in Western Washington where typical conditions were dark gray rain. I needed only to take the glare off the water. Light amber was best for those conditions.
Now I'm in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana and I will look to get a darker amber/brown photochromic tint.
Smith Chromapop GLASS lenses are on my list.
If I'm spending real money on a pair of glasses, I only want glass for durabilty and scratch resistance.

I use Oakleys with Prizm shallow water polarized lenses. They're light, comfortable, and provide excellent contrast/clarity. I have one pair with "blue" lenses and the other pair has an amber/orange hue. The latter are also great for driving in all light conditions.

My next pair will be Oakley Cables or Split Shots with Prizm shallow water. They have better periferal coverage than my Holbrooks. The Holbrooks also lack rubber nose or side pads, and the Cables have both.

Last edited:
If I can only have one quality pair I opt for amber lenses as they are useful in low light conditions. But on the flats, or in snow, I wish I had a darker pair, like a bronze.

I've been a Smith guy for a long time and the flyshop I used to work at went to Costa and I tried them out and, IMO, they are trash compared to Smith. Cheap frames, no non-slip rubber nose pads, no rubber on the insides by the ears. I'd rather pay full retail for Smith than 40% off Costa. YMMV of course.
Depends on the frame. I have smiths without rubber nose pads and costas with them and vise versa. Likewise some smiths have plastic hinges, and some costas do too. Ultimately I think as a consumer you just need to find a frame that works for you.

Lens wise I think they are both very comparable. I am eager to try out some Bahio glasses (original owners of Costa’s new company). I would prefer to not support luxotica if I can help it.

Depends on the frame. I have smiths without rubber nose pads and costas with them and vise versa. Likewise some smiths have plastic hinges, and some costas do too. Ultimately I think as a consumer you just need to find a frame that works for you.

Lens wise I think they are both very comparable. I am eager to try out some Bahio glasses (original owners of Costa’s new company). I would prefer to not support luxotica if I can help it.

My life lesson is when you find a product you love buy ahead for many year's worth. Really miss the Smiths I bought ~2003 time frame. And you're right, it's a model by model thing.

Luked

WKR
If you like the Bronze color I would look at Costa Del mar as said above with the Green mirror lens.
It gives a copper or bronze tint and is great. The Blue Mirror lens is more of a dark tint.

I used the Green mirror lens on clowdy days and the Blue Mirror on real bright sunny days.

Q child

WKR
This.
I was doing a lot of winter steelhead fishing in Western Washington where typical conditions were dark gray rain. I needed only to take the glare off the water. Light amber was best for those conditions.
Now I'm in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana and I will look to get a darker amber/brown photochromic tint.
Smith Chromapop GLASS lenses are on my list.
If I'm spending real money on a pair of glasses, I only want glass for durabilty and scratch resistance.
Yep. These are my most used glasses. They're glacier glasses I guess, but I wear them daily and for fishing. Kind of a light amber/pinkish lens with a photochromic blue tint. It rains 230 days a year where I live, so they are the most versatile glasses I own. Their tint gets so light that I can wear them on the grayest days. I'm a freak about glasses, so I wear these nearly every day.
Capture.JPG
These are not my choice on a sunny day and I would have a totally different lens if I lived in a sunny place.

dtrkyman

WKR
I like green mirrored costas for an all around pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk