The super duper "Lightweight Rifle Project"...w/Poll

Which do you chose for a sheep hunt if you shoot them both the same?

• Gunwerks ClymR in 6.5 PRC

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

Kotaman

WKR
Let me preface this by saying I have a BUNCH of great, custom mountain rifles. (Gunwerks (4), Boswell, Proof etc.) With the exception of the Boswell, these rifles are all a hair over 8 lbs. The Bosewell .300 WSM is about 7.4. However, my quest has been to find the lightest, shootable rifle (sub 7 lbs) that is accurate to 600 yards for mountain hunting. Yesterday I took delivery on a brand new Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. The rifle weighs 4 lbs. 11 oz naked. With a Swarovski Z6 and NF Ultra Lite Rings and Warne bases, the completed weight is 6 lbs. 7 oz. After a 100 yard sight in just before last light, I proceeded to put two inside of an inch at 200 yards and quit for the evening.

The fit and finish on the rifle is pretty nice for a stock rifle. I lightened up the trigger a touch, other than that, everything is "stock". My thought is to eventually put a Nightforce NX8 on this one, (ordered) which will bring the completed weight to just under 7 lbs. For a "stock" rifle, this thing is a mountain hunter's dream. I'm currently running Super Performance 168 ELD-M's through it at just over 2800 fps. Ballistically, this seems like a nice load/match for this set up. I'm going to shoot some 155 ELD M's through it as well as some of my ol'faithful 150 grain Barnes TTSX just to see what it likes best.

I'm undecided as for now to what I want to carry on my sheep hunts this fall, but have narrowed it down to this one and my Gunwerks ClyMr 6.5 PRC with Leupold Mark V shooting factory 147 ELD X. The 6.5 PRC will shoot accurately further than I can but is a little heavier than I like. I've owned a TON of Kimbers over the years. Some more accurate than others, but this one appears to be a winner. For someone not wanting to go the Custom route, but yet get some custom features in a great lightweight rifle this one should fit the bill! Time will tell for me...

Attachments

• kimber.jpg
    kimber.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5575.jpg
    IMG_5575.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 172

PNWGATOR

WKR
Always love your posts as you always have AWESOME gear, use it and share your experiences. Can’t wait to read your trip reports upon your return!

I have nothing objective to add regarding your rifle ‘dilemma’. :)

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh to have your problems...

Before I read your post I voted thinking I would have the extra money from not buying the Gunwerks for sheep taxidermy. I’d still take the Kimber; that’s a nice, light, and accurate rig.

MQQSE

FNG

Before I read your post I voted thinking I would have the extra money from not buying the Gunwerks for sheep taxidermy. I’d still take the Kimber; that’s a nice, light, and accurate rig.
Let me preface this by saying I have a BUNCH of great, custom mountain rifles. (Gunwerks (4), Boswell, Proof etc.) With the exception of the Boswell, these rifles are all a hair over 8 lbs. The Bosewell .300 WSM is about 7.4. However, my quest has been to find the lightest, shootable rifle (sub 7 lbs) that is accurate to 600 yards for mountain hunting. Yesterday I took delivery on a brand new Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. The rifle weighs 4 lbs. 11 oz naked. With a Swarovski Z6 and NF Ultra Lite Rings and Warne bases, the completed weight is 6 lbs. 7 oz. After a 100 yard sight in just before last light, I proceeded to put two inside of an inch at 200 yards and quit for the evening.

The fit and finish on the rifle is pretty nice for a stock rifle. I lightened up the trigger a touch, other than that, everything is "stock". My thought is to eventually put a Nightforce NX8 on this one, (ordered) which will bring the completed weight to just under 7 lbs. For a "stock" rifle, this thing is a mountain hunter's dream. I'm currently running Super Performance 168 ELD-M's through it at just over 2800 fps. Ballistically, this seems like a nice load/match for this set up. I'm going to shoot some 155 ELD M's through it as well as some of my ol'faithful 150 grain Barnes TTSX just to see what it likes best.

I'm undecided as for now to what I want to carry on my sheep hunts this fall, but have narrowed it down to this one and my Gunwerks ClyMr 6.5 PRC with Leupold Mark V shooting factory 147 ELD X. The 6.5 PRC will shoot accurately further than I can but is a little heavier than I like. I've owned a TON of Kimbers over the years. Some more accurate than others, but this one appears to be a winner. For someone not wanting to go the Custom route, but yet get some custom features in a great lightweight rifle this one should fit the bill! Time will tell for me...

I own both of these guns and the Kimber is much lower in weight than the Gunwerks. I have a Kahles K 525 I (5-25x56) on the Gunwerks which adds to the load. Still, I think for me it will ultimately come down to what I am 100% confident in on my sheep hunts and not worry about that extra lb or more on this set up and lose another lb off my belly.

Attachments

• DC8C8D90-7F8A-45EF-AFD8-5C4908EEEF7F.jpeg
    DC8C8D90-7F8A-45EF-AFD8-5C4908EEEF7F.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 53A02EDE-74EA-493D-B95A-51352127A7AA.jpeg
    53A02EDE-74EA-493D-B95A-51352127A7AA.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 143
OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I own both of these guns and the Kimber is much lower in weight than the Gunwerks. I have a Kahles K 525 I (5-25x56) on the Gunwerks which adds to the load. Still, I think for me it will ultimately come down to what I am 100% confident in on my sheep hunts and not worry about that extra lb or more on this set up and lose another lb off my belly.

That's my "hang up" right now. The Gunwerks is a PROVEN sheep killer at distance. With that said, who wouldn't want to shed over a lb. of gun weight as long as accurancy is a wash. Decisions...Decisions...Luckily I have a month to "play around" with both of them. The dialog has been great thus far. Thanks guys. Keep it coming...

MQQSE

FNG
That's my "hang up" right now. The Gunwerks is a PROVEN sheep killer at distance. With that said, who wouldn't want to shed over a lb. of gun weight as long as accurancy is a wash. Decisions...Decisions...Luckily I have a month to "play around" with both of them. The dialog has been great thus far. Thanks guys. Keep it coming...

I am just over 2# heavier on the GW when I remove the 13 oz bipod. Now, do you take or leave the bipod when in the sheep mountains? Ultimately it comes down to making it happen when the time comes to execute but eventually too much weight might break the camels back and keep me from pushing on. And I’m that camel.

Attachments

• BCAAD825-3B79-4301-BF0C-D0E92C52C697.jpeg
    BCAAD825-3B79-4301-BF0C-D0E92C52C697.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 139
  • B9597BD8-767E-4884-82E4-D9A42B1FE332.jpeg
    B9597BD8-767E-4884-82E4-D9A42B1FE332.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 157
  • C66D59AC-1ADE-4F4D-A56E-1A1CB5EBD838.jpeg
    C66D59AC-1ADE-4F4D-A56E-1A1CB5EBD838.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 158
  • D5146EF2-47F0-435A-9D64-D71D548B2204.jpeg
    D5146EF2-47F0-435A-9D64-D71D548B2204.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 149

Agreed. I don’t own a single custom rifle, but have owned several Kimber light wts. and have been very happy with the accuracy of all of them. In my, financially limited, pursuit of the perfect LW mountain rifle, l just purchased a Christenson Arms Mesa and a Barrett Fieldcraft, both in 6.5 CM. I haven’t had a chance to scope and shoot the FC yet, but l have shot the Mesa and so far I’m not as impressed as I had hoped. The short action Mesa is not nearly as light as my long action Mountain Ascent, and so far, it also doesn’t group nearly as well. It’s strange but my best 3 shot 100 yard groups are about 1.5”, while at 300 yards the groups go down to about 2.5”. My .270 Kimber MA is still my best shooting LW rifle, with my .300wsm Kimber Montana being a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Agreed. I don’t own a single custom rifle, but have owned several Kimber light wts. and have been very happy with the accuracy of all of them. In my, financially limited, pursuit of the perfect LW mountain rifle, l just purchased a Christenson Arms Mesa and a Barrett Fieldcraft, both in 6.5 CM. I haven’t had a chance to scope and shoot the FC yet, but l have shot the Mesa and so far I’m not as impressed as I had hoped. The short action Mesa is not nearly as light as my long action Mountain Ascent, and so far, it also doesn’t group nearly as well. It’s strange but my best 3 shot 100 yard groups are about 1.5”, while at 300 yards the groups go down to about 2.5”. My .270 Kimber MA is still my best shooting LW rifle, with my .300wsm Kimber Montana being a close second.

I traded a short barreled Christiansen Ridgeline In .308 for this Mountain Ascent. Though I’ve had some good Ridgelines, this one underwhelmed me. I’ve owned a ton of Kimbers over the years and this one is quickly becoming my favorite Kimber for sure. Hope to get some more rounds through it over the weekend.

Beendare

WKR
Stupid Question from a bowhunter;

I've seen a general consensus on these forums that a rifle should be 8# plus to be a good long range shooter. Do you think this UL rifle will perform on something like a 400yd shot? [ I know for the really long stuff you need a heavy rifle]

I've packed my bow around in the sheep mountains and can totally see the advantage to a lighter rifle. Overy pound on your back limits your effectiveness. Plus in the sheep areas and conditions I've experienced, taking an 800yd shot would be tough anyway when you factor in shit weather, those crazy mountain wind currents, etc. I've only seen bluebird conditions in short stints on those types of hunts....

ckleeves

WKR
Stupid Question from a bowhunter;

I've seen a general consensus on these forums that a rifle should be 8# plus to be a good long range shooter. Do you think this UL rifle will perform on something like a 400yd shot? [ I know for the really long stuff you need a heavy rifle]

I've packed my bow around in the sheep mountains and can totally see the advantage to a lighter rifle. Overy pound on your back limits your effectiveness. Plus in the sheep areas and conditions I've experienced, taking an 800yd shot would be tough anyway when you factor in shit weather, those crazy mountain wind currents, etc. I've only seen bluebird conditions in short stints on those types of hunts....

IMO it’s more the shooter then the rifle when it comes to the ultralights. The rifle itself is certainly capable, there are some incredible accurate lightweight rifles they just get harder to drive the lighter you get.

I have one really light rifle and I really have to be on my game past 500 with it. 400 isn’t bad, but a guy can’t be sloppy like you can with a 13lb rifle and expect the same results. Spotting hits is tough also even if you control recoil and jump well.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
For me, 400-500 is no problem with a 6 1/2 to 7 lb. rifle. Beyond that I struggle. My Gunwerks rifles all come in around 8lbs 4 oz and my effective range goes to 800.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d love a gunworks rifle but I’ve had really good luck with kimbers, my sheep rifle this year is going to be a kimber Montana 308 with a nightforce shv 3-10. I love that set up, I’ve shot it out to 500 and that’s farther than I plan to hunt. I have a mountain ascent 300wsm that I haven’t set up yet but it’s also going to get an shv 3-10 on it. I love being able to have a reliable scope while still keeping the overall weight very reasonable.

Wrench

WKR
My Kimber requires perfect recoil form for my accuracy to be 100%. If I don't control muzzle rise and let it free recoil at all its gonna show up on the target. If your GW rifle eliminated that....it's worth it to me to have the ability to point and click.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I shot the Kimber at 500 yards tonight. Kept them all inside a basketball size group. This gun has potential. The NF NX8 also arrived today! For the August hunt though, I think I’ll be toting the Gunwerks.

brsnow

WKR
I was mostly archery then shifted to rifle to spend time with family. I started with an xbolt, then held a kimber. I now have 2 kimbers. I shoot them well, might be I have never really shot a heavy rifle. The muzzle brake certainly shrinks groups and minimizes the barrel rises, but they are great to shoot either way.

C Bow

WKR
Sheep rifle

Attachments

• 20190714_190340.jpg
    20190714_190340.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190714_190145.jpg
    20190714_190145.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 92
Kota
I’d choose the GW rifle given it seems you’re confident in the rifle and how well it shoots.
Just curious what size groups does it shoot at 500?