The transformation....I was a fat bastard! :)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I need to do something but guess I'm afraid to research and commit to what that something is. Is their a formula as what my daily calorie intake should be? Not trying to derail this thread just curious

ssliger

WKR
I know I need to do something but guess I'm afraid to research and commit to what that something is. Is their a formula as what my daily calorie intake should be? Not trying to derail this thread just curious

I use the my fitness pal app on my phone. You enter your info and then use the diary to enter your foods. There is a lot of info on formulas out there, but I think everybody's body type is to different. It's a lot if trial and error but you will find the calorie intake that works for you.

Whisky

WKR

The formula is easy.....Eat better, exercise more...

Sure, you can get all scientific with it, and research this and that, and figure out this and that....I never have though.

Shrek

WKR
Realunlucky , there is no perfect magic formula. Get all healthy foods on your plate and then start cutting the amount until you get on the scale and you weigh less. Weighing every day isn't the ticket either as you will not get a true trend. Once or twice a week is all you need. If you are dropping a bunch of weight in a hurry you will most likely not be able to sustain the pace and when you crash on your diet pace it is very likely you will gain it back just as quick. If you loose it slowly with a lifestyle change you are much more likely to keep it off. It can't be a diet it must be the image in your mind of who you are permanently. In your mind you are the guy who eats healthy and exercises , not the guy trying to llose weight. Loosing excess weight is the side effect of your way of living.

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
I'll play

I struggle with my weight constantly. The only thing that keeps it under control is discipline.

I work in a Medical Office, and at least four days a week we have drug reps catering lunches to us. So my office consists of a lot of Ladies that have double wide asses.

They don't even ask me anymore if I want to partake, because at Noon daily I'm on the treadmill after drinking a protein shake. It would be easy to just give in, but I don't want to feel like I'm dying when I'm hiking in the backcountry, so I stick to my guns.

I have managed my weight by eating about 5 to 6 small protein-heavy meals spaced out over the course of the day. I also do about 100 pushups and 200 bicycle crunches daily during the course of my workday.

I am 52, and I wish I could say this gets easier, but it gets harder as I get older. When you have an office job like mine, it is a real trick to try to take in less calories than you are burning off. You have to get used to being hungry.

Drinking a lot of water helps as well.

a3dhunter

WKR
A few years ago I was up to about 335lbs for the second time in my life.
I made some big changes and decided to focus on dropping the weight slowly, so I could keep it off.
I set a goal of 30 lbs per year. For two years I exceeded that goal, and have now held that for a year.
I made the decision that I will continue my journey and focus on losing more this next year.
I moved states, changed jobs, and finally changed careers so I can live a healthier lifestyle.
Aron still makes fun of me when I stop by kifaru, but my time will come! ;)
I appreciate Aron sharing his journey, and the conversations we have had over the years.

I was one of those gifted people, I could eat anything in any amount and I always stayed lean. I didn't go to a gym, I just work physical jobs, played sports, rode a bike to get to work, walked and hiked a lot.

But it caught up with me, big time and in the last 5 years I have had to learn I cannot eat anything I want and the horrible eating habits I developed when I was younger are proving very difficult to break.

I do great for 1 - 4 weeks, then fall flat on my face for a week or two, then repeat the cycle all over again.

I have learned that the most important thing for diet and exercise, is consistency, day after day, month after month, just simply stick to it and eventually you will get results.

So simple and yet so difficult.

Wow what a transformation Aron! Pretty cool.

It is amazing what eating certain food will do. Eating lots of meals vs just a couple meals.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yesterday at the gym and several years ago...

Lord my face was fat!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385320947178.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385320947178.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 506
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385320975840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385320975840.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 448
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385321065540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385321065540.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 491

Manosteel

WKR
I tip my hat to you Aron. Nothing is harder then having to watch what you eat on a year round basis. And it gets harder every decade you get older. My body reacts to food a lot like yours, either I get fat or gain muscle, no happy medium. When I was young I could down three pizzas with no worries, now I look at a pizza and its an hour of cardio or its being stored as body fat. Now I just try and maintain my weight at a solid 180-5 but usually swing -or+ 10 lbs depending on the time of year. The only time I get really serious about cutting weight for a short period of time is when we have a beach holiday coming up.

My basic formula for eating is simple - I eat at least 1 gr of protein for each pound I weigh and limit my carbohydrate intake- hit the weights 4 times a week with 3-4 cardio sessions a week, depending on how much hockey I play. During hunting season, when I am at home I cut my cardio and gym time 80% - I am usually just in recovery mode before the next hunt.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I got as big as 298 (6'2) a few years ago. Went on a caribou hunt and almost died. Through proper eating and exercise the past year and a half, I am down to 230 and hunting the mountains. Been on three sheep hunts and a goat hunt since losing the weight and feel great. Having a hard time dropping the last 10 lbs though. The winters and holidays are tough for me.

Cut the CRAP...This is a good guide in my opinion....

Caffeine (too much results in stress hormone (Cortisol) in your body)
Refined Sugar (of any kind)
Alcohol
Processed "anything"

BigDog00

WKR
I'm pretty fortunate that I've been skinny my whole life. I've tried gaining weight in the past (muscle) and couldn't ever put any weight on. Well, last year I really wanted to focus on my nutrition and finally ended up putting on about 15-20 pounds of mostly muscle in about 3.5 months. I was always a believer that if I did 1000 crunches I would get that ever popular six pack and thats just not the case.

I'm not rubbing it in anyones face that I can eat anything and still not gain weight. I'm making a point that if you have health/weight related goals its probably about 70-80% nutrition and the rest about working out/staying active. Now don't get me wrong, I try to lift at least 3 times a week and I typically play in any city sports league. The one thing that I think is over-looked a lot is simply cooking your own food. YOU are the one that has the control over how you prepare it and what goes in your food.

Like it was mentioned before, the internet has a great amount of good information on calorie counters and workout programs. With that said, there is also a lot bad info too. I typically get my info from the nutrition section at bodybuilding.com, but their forums are full of good and bad just like everywhere else.

Drelk

FNG
I've been a human piece of slop in my life. At heaviest was 320 lbs, and a rough spot in my life. I'm down to 246. Kept it off for 3 years now. I've never felt more together in all aspects of my life. Physically emotionally spiritually. I could get down to 230 with a few more tweaks to the diet.

Guys like Aaron and cam hanes motivate me.

nuqesese.jpg
nu2ujunu.jpg

I don't know who was more fat. Me or the fish.

naze7azu.jpg

I'm able to climb and hunt again. And live.

Next up for me is to get rid of the diet soda. I've quit the Copenhagen. And implement 3-5 mile runs.

230 lbs by sheep season 2015