The transformation....I was a fat bastard! :)

Just got done with the shower. Just over 4 miles along the river, and swinging kettle bells. Feel much better now.

Going to be bear backstrap and blasted brocolli (if you don't know what that is YOUR MISSING OUT!) for dinner.

Lukem

WKR
I gotta say this thread is huge motivation. You guys that are able to do that and keep it off are awesome. You all are a huge motivation, I have to do better about my eating habits.

I like the CRAP acronym and theory!

I to have had my "battle with weight", when I deployed Jan 2013 I was at my heaviest 233#. I left with the ambition of getting below 200#, where I hadn't been in about 10+ years. I also wanted to be able to keep up with my buddies in MT bow hunting this year. Last year was a sad year for me, my buddy spotted a bull about 1/2 mile away on the other side of the fence and a steep draw between us. He said "if he makes it to the fence by 4 we are going after him", I said "fat chance there is no way I would make it there and if I did I wouldn't be able to even draw my bow back." Also being active duty Air Force I have a semi-annual Physical Fitness Test, that haunted me. Well while I was gone I found Traintohunt.com and a way better no CRAP diet(thanks Jeff). I ran 4 5k,1 10k and a half marathon while deployed as well as a mud run since I have been back. I returned at the lightest I have been since high school 176#. I now only have to take my PT test annually since I scored a 97 out of 100 on it, last score was 65. I got back in July and have kept off the weight. I know float between 175-180#. This year bow hunting I was able to not only keep up but go farther/heavier than my buddies, also had the best year of hunting with seeing the fewest animals. Sorry to brag on myself so much just to darn happy with the results.
Clint and Boyd.jpg me and my son right before I left. me crazies small.jpg me at the furthest and highest point I have hiked to in my hunting adventures. 1069373_10201611359077201_898303877_n.jpg me at the finish of my mud run

Last edited:
I take raw brocolli and toss it with a little olive oil, pepper and red pepper (or whatever spicy thing you want, avoid salt), and bake on a cookie sheet at 425 for 12 minutes. While it's baking, dice a ton of garlic very small.

Take it out, put brocolli back into bowl. Add just a smidge more olive oil, smidge more pepper and red pepper, and then dump all that garlic in there. Toss again, then put back on cookie sheet. Bake for another ten minutes at 425. Remove. Eat. Enjoy an extremely healthy side dish with dinner. Easy to make, and I eat a ton of it with my meal. I generally don't worry about calories when I'm "dieting" I just eat correct food until I'm full.

Shrek

WKR
That's funny , I had basically that for lunch but I steamed it all and tossed the evo on in the bowl so the flavor would have legs. Might have to try baking it for a change.

Stid2677

WKR
Kale is also really good cooked like that. I like to top it with some lemon juice or Balsamic Vinegar.

7mag.

WKR
Very motivating guys, just what I needed. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with an auto-immune lung and heart disease. I lost 43% of my lung capacity and have been on heavy doses of prednisone for 18 months. The drugs cause a lot of weight gain and an unbelievable appetite. I gained over 50lbs in 6 months. I got really pissed because it affected my hiking a lot. I asked my doctor what I could do to lose the weight while on the meds. He said it is nearly impossible, which is exactly the right thing to say to me. I lost 33 lbs in 3 months. It was very hard, and only half of my goal, but, now I know I can do it. I am getting ready to start the second phase of my weight loss, and this thread is very motivating. Thanks guys, keep the stories coming.

Ray

WKR
When the early stages of puberty hit around age 8 I went from a scrawny little kid to a fat little kid over the summer. My folks said that it was like I had discovered food for the first time. Since both my folks were overweight it was normal. I spent my childhood semi active, but overweight. Never active enough to counter my parents need to never let us go hungry. They were babies in the Depression, and then made it through WWII on hand-me-downs and ration cards. My mom spent WWII in an orphanage even though she was not an orphan. Lots of starving going on back then. All that resulted in two kids being raised with seconds and thirds of what ever was made for dinner. Being kind of poor middle class we ate lots of game/fish, gardens where we could, and lots of pasta.

When I left home to go to college I went from 165 down to 143 by Christmas. All the old fat ladies on Adak were mad at me and wanted to know what my secrete was. I was more active mostly rather than eating healthy. Over the next several years I fluctuated from 150 up to 165 every few years. Then came a year in the gym with a college friend that was a personal trainer. She stuck me on a regulated food system based on basic sports nutrition programs. Eating based on workout timing and types. In seven months I was the fittest I had ever been. The hardest part was getting up at 5am to get to the gym before work. I was sexy. The women noticed. I got married. She changed her mind about marriage and walked away. Downward spiral until I was north of 250. Self medicated my depression with pizza and beer.

The first couple of years of being obese were easy, but then came strange health issues. Back problems. Headaches that did not respond to pain killers until I was at overdose levels. My doc was pretty much useless. The medical testing showed me to be healthy. How can a morbidly obese man have medical tests showing he is healthy? Doc just shrugged it off and showed no curiosity about my health issues vs the great test results. At this time I was eating what I would call SHAD - standard healthy american diet. Vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, brown rice, etc. I was no longer gaining weight but was still obese. I did eat out too much as my divorce killed my love of cooking.

When my mom became seriously ill from diabetes and had to be put into a home, I started to do more research. I found enough positive mentions of the paleo diet having resolved similar health issues to mine that I decided to buy a book and give it a shot. In just the first week everything changed. I was completely shocked. "Health" cannot be this simple.

My mysterious health issues like the headaches were just the first signs of insulin resistance. Another indicator of insulin resistance was being famished or starving with massive hunger pains a few hours after eating a meal that included carbs. Step one in becoming a diabetic. Weekly issues gone in a matter of a few days of changing what I ate. In May 2012 I had a BMI stating I was just shy of morbidly obese at 248. By September I was 203. I went from being uncomfortable walking/hiking more than a mile, to being able to do walking lunges for 50 yards across a field - multiple times a day. Air squats were easy. And then during an 8 mile long beach hike while bear hunting I learned the younger guy with me was struggling to keep up.

I continue to be healthy, but have found the hidden issues with paleo. Its too easy and I eat too many nuts. Those are the only issues with it. Now I just need to be more physically active to support the fat loss. It has repaired my love of cooking as well.

I could post up a hole bunch of info on paleo, but I won't. It will not be complete data, and thus not helpful. I recommend getting a book. Either Mark Sisson's or Robb Wolf's.. Then check out Dr. Peter Attia at the Eating Academy. I also recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Dr. Phinney and Dr Volek. This book is awesome.

Actually "check out" is the wrong thing to say. You have to get a book and read it. Checking things out will not help you. Solid factual information will.

Shrek

WKR
7mag , if you have managed to loose weight while on prednisone then you are the man ! Just look at food while on that chit and you gain five pounds.

I'm a huge fan of Paleo. I lost a ton of weight on it. I will say though I found some holes when training for things like Tough Mudder and an extended backpacking trip. I was having a hard time getting enough calories to sustain workouts or adventures. Plus the weight ratio does not equate as I think Littlebuf mentioned in another post. So I practice a modified Paleo diet, and avoid fast food and pizza (I shouldn't eat pizza anyways as it tears me up), under and under no circumstances drink pop.

I'm back on it and began working out prepping for Colorado next year. If I'm going to spend the time and money going, I'm going to not have my physical shape be an issue. I only have about 15 pounds to lose to be at my "peak" weight. But then hopefully I'll be building muscle and the weight may increase a little. Eat those miles up!

Plus FillTheFreezer will send me taunting text messages if I slack...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ray could you do this diet if you had to travel a bunch. Do you eat the same way on your trips into the wilderness?

Realunlucky,

I'm not Ray, but yes you can. I did it while traveling a lot. I just stayed in hotels (like the hilton homewood) where there was a stove, and bought groceries. It's about discipline.

I will say the craziest part of this diet is when you come off the processed food and sugars for the first time. I have never been addcited to anything in my life...I could (and have) smoked cigarettes for a month (many years ago) and dropped it with nary an issue.

I felt like I imagined a Meth addict would feel after 3 days. After a week, it was gone and I felt cleaner then I ever had in my whole life.

I know I said "diet" but it's not really a diet. It's more of a lifestyle. You just are eating natural foods and non agricultural (meaning no grains).

My favorite part is that I never had any "calorie" restrictions. I just ate quality food until I was full. No calculations (at least for me).

Whisky

WKR
Just got done with the shower. Just over 4 miles along the river, and swinging kettle bells. Feel much better now.

Going to be bear backstrap and blasted brocolli (if you don't know what that is YOUR MISSING OUT!) for dinner.

I gotta say, I found some motivation after posting in this thread too...Did 5.25 on the treadmill, and probably another 4 while bow hunting tonight. I usually never work out on Sundays. I had a big crappy breakfast and this thread made me feel guilty. :)

boom

WKR
supercool thread.

i did it once. i got up to 240 and was really fat, lethargic..heading to a really bad life of high blood pressure, diabetes..whatever.

i ended a really bad relationship with a hot chick that had stalker tendencies. i called it time off with women, and focused on myself. i went to 6 small meals a day, and exercised like a fool. i got down to a very lean 172. i bought all old stock of polaroid film to take pics of myself.

it was unsustainable. it took big time exercise and eating weird as ****.

i gained it all back, when i met my wife. i now try to do it right. slowly, and sustainablely. eating right, exercising, etc. i am down to 195 and can hike hunt..do things. i want to get down to 185 and keep it there.

i dont want to look at food as "good" or "bad"..i am the bad part that cannot control it.

i just want to be healthy. i am approaching my 50..egads!!

Coastal

FNG
I understand because I just became a teacher this year. It kind of killed my coveted bull elk tag with only weekends but archery mule deer, antelope and cow elk all have season openers at the beginning of August. This upcoming summer is going to be awesome!

You might want to apply for NV tags this year!

Thanks SJ, I'll check it out.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I was never huge but I have maintained my weight at 158-165 the last 6 years after hitting a high of 185 (I'm 5'9). I've always liked to cook, then I started to get really into healthy food and working out. Not as disciplined as I should be but I do ok. I agree this thread makes me want to work out, ran 3.5 miles then 30 Burpees after work today. Hard working 12 hour days, but I have been trying to do a quick 20 minute for time weight routine at lunch 3 days a week. Hats off to all you guys that have lost some serious weight. I would love a "what did you do today" kind of thread.