The Truth about OTC in CO

Mlank

FNG
I made it thru. I’ll say he has one thing right, and that is to spend money on tags and getting there, not expensive gear. But as said, he was lucky to be in elk, that doesn’t make him a pro with a need to have his own elk hunter YouTube channel.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I made it thru. I’ll say he has one thing right, and that is to spend money on tags and getting there, not expensive gear. But as said, he was lucky to be in elk, that doesn’t make him a pro with a need to have his own elk hunter YouTube channel.

But his channel is called “Generation Elk”, he must be an authority?

JRMiller

WKR
I’ll admit I watched most of it but should have stopped when he was talking about hiking in with over 85lbs.
This is exactly what i thought. As first an experienced backpacker (15 years),then later as hunter, i can honestly say this guy is lost if he thinks he needs to pack in 85lbs

I’d rather do mental toughness training. Go camp in your back yard for 30 days straight for starters and let us know how that goes. After that lesson number 2... go to a golf course and crush golf balls in rain sleet snow and hail and don’t leave until you get a hole in one! Haha!

Mlank

FNG
You might be on the wrong forum, my friend.

The discussion of "backpacks" is the most popular subforum here outside of General Discussion.

Backpacks.

I love gear, but it always blows my mind when I see that.
I actually do love gear tinkering. Trying to get maximum value from items. So, I’m kind of in the right place....lots of items used and abused around here.

ChrisAU

WKR
I couldn't make it past the water part 2 minutes in. I'm no expert at all, but humping in 4 gallons of water for the fun of it and then saying that there was no water within 2 miles of camp? Yeah, right.

md126

WKR
Getting a KUIU pack was his first mistake. 🤪

Overall, I think he made some valid points but his delivery could’ve been better.

Maverick1

WKR
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

From his standpoint, he is 100% correct in everything he says in the video, for his opinions are based on his experiences and my opinions are based on my experiences. Why should anyone try to reconcile the two?

That being said, some of the experiences he shares align with my experiences, others do not.

The delivery of the content in the video could have been better.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Sounds like the typical military guy who has done a few field exercises and thinks his experience in the mil actually makes him some kind of backpacking sme.

The military is great at what they do, but efficient and comfortable backcountry travel ain't it.

I was that guy once. Turns out, sere training doesn't make you a good backpacker after all.

If he sticks with this backcountry thing, he'll look back on this video and cringe one day.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You could always take a different approach on these things, like.......which is the greatest challenge........being in the best possible shape and stronger than you were a year ago. Or, going in weak and out of shape and coming out heavy? :D Don't we do this for the challenge?

Will_m

WKR
You could always take a different approach on these things, like.......which is the greatest challenge........being in the best possible shape and stronger than you were a year ago. Or, going in weak and out of shape and coming out heavy? :D Don't we do this for the challenge?

What a silly world we live in. 🤪