The Ultimate Backcountry Pack for a 10 Day Alpine Hunt

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
HC, have you used the Kuiu bag? The bag needs work after its first run. IMO, the pockets on the inside of the front panel are all to small unless you want a pocket for your toothbrush and another for tooth paste. The tripod and spotting scope pockets are also on this front panel along with two other pockets. This tends to make the front panel pretty heavy, so when opening it up you have to be careful it just doesn't drop to the ground and damage anything. With any first production runs there are growing pains and I am sure Jason is addressing the issues he feels are most pressing. I used their system last year, it worked, but not like I had hoped.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bummer... Wonder if we get get Jason and KUIU to design the next pack bag for Kifaru.. Now that would be sweet.. Either that or the folks at Kifaru take a look the ICON and tweak it. Its not perfect, but its the best pack bag out there in terms of functionality, IMO. I like the VIAS pattern and it would be quite the pack to have...

I'll talk with the guy that's helping design the new packs for Kifaru and see what he can come up with:)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes....she says that anyone that spends more nights on the ground than in a bed is nuttier than squirrel $hit!

As far as the pack debate goes... I would guess that if you don't like the Timberline, most of you will have what you're looking for soon.

stephen b

WKR
To the Op- I have no idea whether you can put on a KUIU bag on the Kifaru frame as I have not tried to do so. I will certainly take the word of the others who have posted here about it not working well.

As to my thread that I posted before concerning the Kifaru duplex frame and putting other companies bags on them- like I stated in the beginning of that thread -

" I thought I would give some people a idea of some bags from different companies that I have found that can work well with a MMR duplex frame from Kifaru ( or would work for the EMR)."

That being said; I only was showing some things that I have tried and even though most all that I posted would work very well- they ARE LESS THAN IDEAL. The best thing would be to use the bags from the company that designs them for that particular frame.

The only reason that I even tried the bags that I posted was that I ALREADY HAD THEM. And I did not want to buy the MMR bag that went with the MMR frame- 1- because it was much heavier than what I wanted and 2- it was not really the type of bag that I was looking for. I also thought long and hard about getting the Timberline pack, or the MMR frame ( MMR frame for me because I am 5'8" and 18 - 18 .5 torso) - but in the end decided what I really wanted was a frame and separate bags because as I posted in the thread- I really like the frame and separate bag concept because I have the most experience with that and I like the versatility. Plus I already had bags to try out with the frame from other frame type systems that I had in the past. So I thought why not try them until Kifaru comes out with a bag designed for the duplex frame that I like.

In my post the bags that I posted were already designed to be hung from or attached to a separate frame- so they all hold up with weight in them since that is how they are made to be. Some go on better than others. But even though they were not made for the Kif. frame, some of them work exceptionally well.

The Mystery Ranch Military bag that I have ( as did the longbow ) worked fantastic and is a very solid hold. I could even use the bag as a compression panel ( between the bag and frame) if I wanted to like people do with the Nice frame.

The Dana Design T-1 bag from the DD ext frame- works fantastic with the dup. frame- the attachment points are extremely solid. In fact they are maybe even more solidly attached to the duplex frame than on the metal frame of the DD.

The Oregon Pack Works Greengate pack bag attaches very easy ( esp. with the bag mods that I did in trimming weight) and is very solid.

The Wilderness pack Specialty pack bags work fairly well too- especially that little Muley pack- after I trimmed off all the stuff made for it to be a fanny pack and made it just a dedicated pack bag. But the ones above this that I mention work the best.

I will say that I will buy a specific Kifaru bag for the Duplex frame if and when they come out with hunting ones designed for it. As obviously they will be fit PERFECTLY and will be specifically designed for the Kifaru frame.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Yes....she says that anyone that spends more nights on the ground than in a bed is nuttier than squirrel $hit!

As far as the pack debate goes... I would guess that if you don't like the Timberline, most of you will have what you're looking for soon.

Like I said before Aron, you remind me a a few girls I knew in high school. You are just a TEASE! But maybe it will be worth the wait, I know they were.

JG358

WKR

Knowing my luck they'll release something new any day now.... I put in an order last Friday and another this morning.

Mike7

WKR
It will be interesting to see what Aron is hinting about. I love to modify my gear (and sometimes with not so good of results), but right now, I can not see how I would really change the Timberline without losing the amazing lightweight multi-functionality of it. I was just a little worried about not having the frame sheet before getting the Timberline, but liked the weight savings. Now that I have it though, wow. It seems to have just the right stiffness for a pack that can be hunted with and carry heavy loads. I think this is going to blow away my big Kelty frame pack for carrying meat, especially since I plan on boning everything out.

As far as simulating boned out meat, I just learned this week about an awesome, but yet so simple idea from someone here on the forums. I can't believe that I've never thought of this (well really I can). So this weekend I tried it (i.e. filling a meat sack with all of the water bladders in the house for a little hike up the hill with my T2) and what a great idea. Just dump the water at the top of the hill and hike back down the hill with pain-free kees.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have both a Longhunter Frame and a Timberline T1. I'd say for my Alpine endeavors the T1 will handle all my needs and then some. That said if going on a brown bear hunt on I'd probably opt for the Long hunter frame with the Cargo hauler for hauling the bear hide. The longhunter frame does feel "stouter" which is not suprising given the frame itself nearly weighs the same as the T1 by itself. However, in my limited packing with the T1 helped haul out my own 4 deer plus a few more with a couple loads beign in the the triple digit range I have no question about the T1s hauling ability.

Both are great packs and serve a great purpose but for a true 10 day alpine hunt pack the T1 is hard to beat IMO. I just got my T1 volume up to 9500+ cu in at a shade over 7 pounds by adding some KU pockets, if I need more space then that I need to rethink my gear and shoot smaller critters :D

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think Luke answered the question about the Timberline pretty well!

Like Luke, I packed out multiple triple digit loads last year in the T1 and had no issue. The weight and total hauling ability of the Timberline is going to be hard to find and that's what makes it such a great mountain hunting pack.

phil

FNG
I think a person could do every mod. mentioned on this thread and there will always be someone with a better idea. Backpacks are somewhat personal, and I think Kifaru nailed it. They give you a lot of great options. Aron's and Kifaru's field testing is off the charts. I could't be more satisfied. Keep up the good work. phil

cmeier117

WKR
I think a person could do every mod. mentioned on this thread and there will always be someone with a better idea. Backpacks are somewhat personal, and I think Kifaru nailed it. They give you a lot of great options. Aron's and Kifaru's field testing is off the charts. I could't be more satisfied. Keep up the good work. phil

Dido that comment!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
HC, have you used the Kuiu bag? The bag needs work after its first run. IMO, the pockets on the inside of the front panel are all to small unless you want a pocket for your toothbrush and another for tooth paste. The tripod and spotting scope pockets are also on this front panel along with two other pockets. This tends to make the front panel pretty heavy, so when opening it up you have to be careful it just doesn't drop to the ground and damage anything. With any first production runs there are growing pains and I am sure Jason is addressing the issues he feels are most pressing. I used their system last year, it worked, but not like I had hoped.

I though the pockets would replace some of my kit bags for the small stuff. Good feedback. Only real experience I have with the KUIU bag is playing with it empty and with sand bags in it.

Guess I need stay tuned for next version from both KUIU and Kifaru....

I respect what folks are saying about the Timberline, but the options the duplex frame bring are hard to set aside (at least for me). Lots to think on.... To much.. :)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
HC, if you have the duplex frame and don't need anything ASAP, just wait a little while. From having both packs, based on what your looking for, Kifaru will fit your need much more so than Kuiu will.

B

bearguide

i am sure that luke and aron have carried more than most people ever want to carry in one load, so the pack must be tough