The Ultimate "Bullet-Proof" Pant! . . . ?

Benjblt

WKR
So I think I've found the ultimate "bullet-proof" pant. . or "doomsday" pant, if you will. Well, maybe the ultimate line of pants. They aren't unknown to Roksliders. It's the Fjallraven line of pants. Specifically, I've been looking at the Keb's, Barent,s, and Vidda's. So I'm looking for recommendations on which pant in the Fjallraven line. . or by another manufacturer.

What I'm looking for is that pant that I want with me when everything hits the fan and we all have to live in the Wilderness for 3 or 5 years. Top criteria would be durability and longevity. What will actually last a few years of everyday use without falling apart. Functionality would be second to durability. They seem to have that covered with the Fjallraven pants. What I'm surprised about when watching reviews of the pant is that no one seems to be concerned that they are 35% cotton. Don't they have trouble drying out?

Anyhow, just wondering what pant you all will go to when it all hits the fan. I've got lots of Kuiu, Prana, and First Lite, but I don't think they'll last longer then a couple months of everyday use.

bozeman

WKR
3-5 years living in the wilderness? Really? Thinking logically here...……. I think pants will be the last of your concerns...………..

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
3-5 years living in the wilderness? Really? Thinking logically here...……. I think pants will be the last of your concerns...………..
I agree. I was mostly being sarcastic. I was looking for insight on pants which is why I posted under the "Clothing" forum, but I understand, the low hanging fruit is hard to resist.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
“When everything hits the fan and we all have to live in the wilderness for 3-5 years”. o_O

May I suggest a nice loin cloth? Ive heard they breath really well.
Yes, and durable. Which was my main requirement.

I suppose I should delete my post and ask what everyone thinks about the Fjallraven pants and do you think there is something burlier.

Stid2677

WKR
These are hard to beat.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
These are hard to beat.

Sweet pants. I think I saw someone recommend these on a previous thread as well. The only thing that concerns me is all the elastic. My corrugate guides have about the same amount of elastic and the elastic tends to fail after a bit of use. Same with my Pranas.

Reeling this back in...I drank to cool aid and I bought a fallraven jacket made of the G1000 cloth. Their smock or something like it. It Wasn’t cheap but itlooked cool around town. It blocked wind well but did nothing for water. Splashed and soaked right through. I loaded it up with their wax and it does reasonably well with water but breathes like shit now and looks bad too.

if you are looking for some hard wearing clothes, I would check out Duluth, car hart and Filson. None would be my first choice for a long back country hunt but they do work and will outlast a Lot of hunting and hiking brands. I would also look at military surplus. Particularly old school Northern European wool pants. Those will take a beating and they are cheap.

last point, there are some bush crafter and other forums that are probably better source for this info.

Carhartt and Duluth.

Get carpenter pants that are doubled. Or even the Wrangler brush buster built in chap pants, but again dealing with cotton. I haven't found synthetics to be as durable as cotton, other than something like the firehose. I have plenty of pants that I hate to think how long they would have lasted had I not worn the pockets out with a tape measure.

chindits

WKR
I guess carhartts outlast my jeans by one year, meaning I can get 2 years out of carhartts vs one year for jeans. Maybe if you don’t cut much firewood they’ll last longer but I wouldn’t consider them the gold standard.

Trial153

WKR
I have Filson double tin pants are virtually Indestructible, however they are stiff and uncomfortable. The Filson double pants are way more comfortable and tough as nails. I have pair that must be 20 years old and must have 500 days running hounds in cuts and slashes , and the look it. They are bombproof

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Good point on the Duluth's guys. I didn't even think about them. . but I've never tried them. Might be worth checking out.

Good point on the Duluth's guys. I didn't even think about them. . but I've never tried them. Might be worth checking out.
Their firehose stretch pants and the car hart stretch pants are about as comfortable as hard wearing pants can be. Again, I wouldn’t take them on a long backpacking trip unless I had to but I wore Cotton bdu Pants for years in some really nasty places and managed to survive.

I have Filson double tin pants are virtually indestructible, however they are stiff and uncomfortable.
Agreed, they're like wearing a suit of armor in that they're indestructible, but also limit mobility. I wear my bibs all winter long on flat ground and in all (cooler temp) weather, highly recommend!

As others have said, Duluth makes good gear, largely switched from Carhartt to Duluth. I like their DuluthFlex Fire Hose Coolmax pants and shorts. We cut a lot of trail last year fighting blackberry bushes and felling holly trees, they held up just fine.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with ( Stid2677 ) Give the Arborwear ascender pants a try, I have pairs I've been wearing for four years that are still pretty new, minus some chainsaw marks. The only part that fails is the stitching in the crotch after a couple years and sometimes the zippers. You won't wear the fabric out, I promise. I wear mine every day for work at home and I use them hunting, tough as nails, won't hold a stain, dry fast, breathability isn't great if it's really hot and they are slightly noisy.