The Ultimate NorthWestern Big Game Rifle

DZurf14

FNG
I am currently looking into buying and building a new long range setup.
I will not be reloading for at least the next 4-5 years.
I can semi-dope wind and have an accurate range finder.

I will be shooting a 28 Nosler or a 300 Win Mag with a 24-26” barrel, AERO Precision PRS30 muzzle brake (eventually suppressor instead of muzzle brake) and I will be shooting 165+ grain bullets regardless of caliber. Scope is going to be either the new Vortex Venom or a LEUPOLD VX3 w/ bubble level. Rifles I am currently looking at are the Browning LR Max, Bergara Wilderness Terrain or HMR. Preferred barrel/action is either cerakoted or stainless steel due to inclimate weather exposure (it’s either snowing/raining sideways and 15-40 or 50-65 and sunny from October-mid November up here).

The issue I am running into is that I am inexperienced past 400 yards. I currently shoot a Browning X-Bolt 30-06 and I am competent/consistent to 400 yards with it but adding the range and horsepower of a new cartridge still requires a good shooter and a solid rifle platform to be useful.

I hunt canyon country in Washington state where shots 600-700 on big body muleys and both cow and bull elk are more common than not. What am I missing on this setup to be successful at these ranges or am I overbuilding/overthinking for what I need?

I just don’t want to spend the cash to get into a $1000-$1500 rifle plus scope and be under gunned or be wishing had things in the field. Training with the setup is key but suggestions on different calibers, rifle manufacturers, rings, factory loads, or tips/tricks of the long game trade would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

OP
DZurf14

DZurf14

FNG
As a side note the furthest shot I will take on game is 700 (personal comfort level), but target/competition is tbd.

You're gonna get a range of opinions that'll make your head spin.. Here's my take

Since you plan on shooting elk at 700 I'd stick with the 30 cal, and since you don't handload the 300 prc is your best option period.
Match grade ammo is what the prc is designed around, the 212 ELDX Hornady ammo is really good stuff and will absolutely anchor a big bull at your intended ranges.
Finding ammo is going to be tough right now no matter what cartridge you're shooting.

I have no experience with the rifles you're looking at so I won't comment on that.
For a scope I would absolutely stay away from the vx3, a precision optic that tracks true is probably the most important part of a LR package.
You don't have to spend a ton for a great scope, check out the Bushnell LRHS it'll serve you so much better than the Leupold vx line.
Here's a hell of a deal on one
Good luck
https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html

Last edited:
OP
DZurf14

DZurf14

FNG
My bad I meant the MARK3 HD-any difference or would you still recommend going off of something similar to the Bushnell? Looking to spend at least 1/2-3/4 the cost of the rifle on the scope. (Say approximately a $500-$900 scope)

Your Scope should cost the same or more than your rifle if you plan an true Long Range :).. Night force, or cheaper SWFA, as mentioned the Bushnell LRHS gets good reviews. Problem is if you can find one.

300 PRC is a good recommendation for factory ammo, and long range elk hunting. The 28 Nos will have great ballistics. I am not a 300 Win fan just because its old school, and belted, and short neck. The 300 PRC is the improved version for long range with proper headspace, barrel twist, case taper, shoulder etc

Here is a new wilderness b-14 300prc, factory 212 Hornady. It impressed me. This long range is all new to me as well.
679cd5ce984c852edd84c5774bfb4011.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My bad I meant the MARK3 HD-any difference or would you still recommend going off of something similar to the Bushnell? Looking to spend at least 1/2-3/4 the cost of the rifle on the scope. (Say approximately a $500-$900 scope)
No difference the mk3 is not something I'd trust.
If you can't find an LRHS the LRTS is basically the same thing.
Trust me though you'll be tearing your hair out trying to figure out why your ballistics aren't matching up if your scope doesn't dial accurately.
The SWFA scopes are a solid option as well, for your price range those are the only scopes I'd consider

I agree with the above statements about optics/calibers.

That said, your current rifle (probably) isn’t holding you back right now. You didn’t mention the scope, which could be part of the problem, but IMO you’ll be hitting your head against the wall throwing money into a new setup without having the basics down. You should be able to comfortably target shoot at 800+ with your 30-06 and with proper bullets take elk at 500+. I wouldn’t worry about a new rifle until then, personally.

Wassid82

WKR
300WM is my current rifle and I have confidence in ethical shots to bag game out to 800. I've had several other calibers and liked them well enough but 300 WM/PRC I think is the way to go with larger ungulates in the NW.

Idk how you guys are “comfortable” at 800 plus. No wind???
No
Thousands of rounds shooting in the wind from every extreme angle. If I miss at 800 yards something went seriously wrong, 1000 is another story.. atmospheric effects get serious between 800 and 1k

I hunt WA as well and there isn’t anywhere anyone really “needs” to shoot 700 or 800 yards at animals. Whether I was hunting the breaks in the SE corner for mule deer, whitetails in the NE, elk on either side of the cascades, or blacktails on the west side, I’ve found ways to get closer. It may be a good time to also work on your fieldcraft. I don’t say this because I’m anti-LR hunting. I say it because there is a lot of fun to be had when putting on a good stalk! One of my most thrilling kills was at 35 yards after I’d spotted a buck bedded from across a canyon at 750 yards.

If you’re inexperienced at shooting past 400 yards, I would spend some time getting competent with your current rifle on targets out to as far as you can. A 30-06 doesnt give up that much to a 300 win mag. Besides, you don’t kill animals with headstamps. The bullet is what matters and they both shoot .308. You can get a 200gr ELD going 2700fps in a 30-06 and that’s about 90% of what a 300 will push the same bullet. So, based on impact velocity, if a 300 is a 700 yard elk rifle...the 30-06 is a 625 yard elk rifle.

Sometimes a guy just wants a new rifle - that’s me about every six months! I have about 8 rifles that are all pretty close.

Ammo is a real pain right now and a tough time to get into a new caliber. You might think about spending those bucks on some reloading equipment.

Components have been hard to get, but I’ve picked up brass, powder, bullets, and primers for my 30-06 over the past couple months. Bet you can find some on here.

Good luck!

I solved the dilemma by having a 30 06, 300 win mag and a 28 nosler! My 30 06 is really my whitetail gun shooting 180 Federal TBTs, the 300 Win mag is shooting hand loaded 220 grain ELDXs and the 28 is shooting 180 Grain Berger VLDs.

The 30 06 is a Browning XBolt speed, 22", the 300 Win is a Browning XBlot MAx Long Range, 26" and the 28 is a Browning XBlot Western Hunter 26". All have Burris Veracity scopes. They are spot on and dial and return to zero every time! All shoot < 1" MOA.

The 300 Win is my go to bull elk gun. Shot my elk last year at 505 yards, bang flop! I got the 28 Nosler in a RMEF auction. My friend/guide in CO loves his and I shot my first elk using his gun at 550 yards. Going to set my 28 up for mule deer and antelope.

Mubs

FNG
I have 280 AI which I used for my first bull elk in CO from 350 yards with 162 gain ELDX - took two steps. Just built a 300 win, with 1:9 twist 24” barrel - looking forward to trying it out with some heavier bullets this summer ahead of another trip to CO!

Spoonbill

WKR
Why not a 6.5 prc? It is still going 2000fps~ at 800 yards and since you don’t have experience shooting past 400, the reduced recoil compared to the 30 mags will let you get more trigger time so you are comfortable shooting past 700 yards.

Marble

WKR
Idk how you guys are “comfortable” at 800 plus. No wind???
If it was windy, meaning sustained wind and I was unsure then I wouldnt shoot.

In the last 19 years I've killed several animals between 500 and 600 and the wind has never been an issue. But I have been lol.

I also have missed, but not my first shot. And I haven't lost an animal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
My experience with getting the accuracy isn't with a custom rifle. Although I do have a semi custom.

My rifle cost $500, I pillar bedded the action, did the trigger, put a $700 Vortex on it and developed a .5 moa load.

It was fun making it the rifle it needed to be, or what I wanted. But be realistic in what you can do. I've been shooting every weapon my entire life from long to short. 400 yards is nothing....nothing.

So practice. It's not that difficult and you can do it! After you shoot out to 600 yards and bang some steal, you'll get some confidence.

If you have any rifle now, go out and try it. You might be surprised.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Keep the 30-06 and spend the money on a trainer rifle, something that you can send 1000's of rounds down range and learn as much as you can. Put the same scope you'd put on a larger rifle. If you aren't confident past 400 yards, a larger caliber won't get you to 700.